"Saturday in Cinque Terre" Riomaggiore by riorich55
Riomaggiore Travel Guide: 291 reviews and 941 photos
It was just one of those places you have to get to even if just for a day. Like many other Americans I had never heard of this part of Italy until we saw a PBS show done by GASP, Rick Steves. Now some of the Europeans reading this will be seeing red with the mention of Rick's name, but as I tell my European friends Rick has actually opened up European travel for us middle class Americans. I would say up until the last 10 to 15 years European travel was only for student groups or the rich. Through his PBS TV shows Rick has opened up the possibilities of European travel and taken the "I don't think we could figure things out" attitude away from many.
Really if you look at it VirtualTourist has done the same thing as Rick for people who may have not ventured far away from home before. Both give us information and discussions about how people, places, things, food etc are really not that much different world wide. They both shine the light on travel opportunities that we should really take advantage of while we are able.
Now that you know how we first found out about Cinque Terre and in particular Riomaggiore you may wonder why only spend 24 hours here on a trip. Yes, I do agree that 24 hours is not nearly long enough and it is not our travel style to buzz into one place, take a few sights in, snap a few pictures and then move on. But as in all trips you want to try to get to some places that are either a little out of the way or places that you have heard about.
When we were planning this trip we wanted to do 2 new countries. In this instance Italy and Spain. On our first trip back in 2008 we did London, Paris and parts of Switzerland and when I looked at what we should do next I pulled out a map and originally thought a train trip from Rome to Barcelona looked interesting, especially since I enjoyed the train travel so much on our first trip.
As the time got closer to the next trip and I looked at the time we could spend and the logistics behind it I realized that a train trip probably wasn't the best idea. I then looked at the options of flying and train travel and decided that we could fly between Paris and Rome and then take the trains though Italy and then fly between Milan and Barcelona.
So mapping this trip out I looked at a map of Italy and decided that we could take several trains on our travel from Rome through Florence to Cinque Terre and then up to Stresa and back down to Milan.
Riomaggiore had always been the town in the Cinque Terre that interested me the most with its little scenic harbor and since it was the bottom of the five cities would save us a little time getting to and leaving from the next day.
Our schedule became a little compact, so my original 2 day Cinque Terre plan had to be cut back to a day. Fortunately, we did get to see two of the towns, walk above the city and along the coast and have a nice dinner in the process.
- Pros:Relaxing, Small Not Too Crowded
- Cons:That Long Walk Up to the Bed and Breakfast
If anything would come close to a "Tourist Trap" in this lovely little area of Italy it could possibly be the Via... more travel advice
152 years before Columbus discovered Americas the original San Giovanni Battista was built on the hillside in what now... more travel advice
riorich55's Related Pages
Riomaggiore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Life in the Cinque Terre"
- "The First Village of the Cinque Terre"
- "Riomaggiore - it's all about love...."
- "Cinque Terre - Riomaggiore"
- "Le Cinque Terre"
- "5 Terre"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riomaggiore
- Hotels in Riomaggiore
- Transportation in Riomaggiore
- Nightlife in Riomaggiore
- Restaurants in Riomaggiore
- Shopping in Riomaggiore
- Warnings and Dangers in Riomaggiore
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Riomaggiore
- 9 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Riomaggiore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riomaggiore
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Best Place to Get a Taste of..."
- Commented on one of Jeannette1's Riomaggiore videos
- Uploaded a Photo to "Via dell’Amore: Tourist Trap?"
- Wrote a Review Via dell’Amore: Tourist Trap? in Riomaggiore Things to Do
- created a Riomaggiore Travel Page "Saturday in Cinque Terre"
Photos in RiomaggioreSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 11 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 55 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naperville Intro, 39 reviews, 136 photos, 6 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 28 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 68 photos
- Charleston Intro, 14 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lauterbrunnen Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Haven Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (71)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Riomaggiore hotel reviews
- Affittacamere Edi
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- La Baia di Rio
- 195 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Villa Argentina
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Mar Mar
- 129 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 12, 2013
- Locanda Ca Dei Duxi
- 71 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- La dolce Vita Hostel
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Cinque Terre Holidays
- 93 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- 143 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Luna di Marzo
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2013
- Due Gemelli
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 14, 2013
- il Boma Riomaggiore
- 185 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Il Borgo di Campi
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2013
- La Casa Di Venere
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 29, 2013