"Me, myself and I" Deng249's Profile

As a start...

I really can't remember when travelling started to be the interest of my life. Perhaps it's because my family had always moved around when I was young...My most unforgetable trip with the family was when I was 12. My late father took us travelling through the major cities in Sarawak, by bus. We then flew back to Bintulu, from Kuching. I remember experiencing the different local culture and customs.

Personally, I've been away from home ever since I've left high school, studying and living elsewhere...and later when I started working, I've lived in several locations such as Kuala Lumpur, Labuan and Bintulu.

Nowadays, I try to travel to at least one new place every year. I believe that travelling is good for my self development, and teaches me to be a bit more humble, and grateful for the life that I'm blessed with.

Some unforgetable journeys

1. In 2004, I travelled with my two good friends for a long weekend. In total, we drove for over 800 km. We started in Bintulu, then to Sibu, Julau, Bintangor and finally to Mukah, before returning to Bintulu.

2. Bali trip with my bestfriend, in 2005. We spent 4D3N there and loved the place. We tried to visit as many temples (pura) that we could and watch lots of cultural performances. The funny thing was that in those 4 days, we didn't manage to even visit Kuta or check out any spa. What a shame!

3. Sydney, 2007. I took some time away in the evening, after the training, just to walk alone around The Rock, Circular Quay and all the way to the Opera House.

4. Kota Kinabalu, 2008. I spent a few days up at the cabin at Mount Kinabalu. It was just amazing. I had the mountain right in front of my cabin. The air was crisp & fresh. The surrounding was peaceful & quiet. It was one of the rare moments when we take pleasure at just doing nothing. To fill my free time, I trekked along some nature's trails and when it came to relaxing, nothing beats a good book and a cup of tea.

5. Journey across Jawa island for 9 days in August 2008. Together with 2 friends, we travelled from west (Puncak) to east (Surabaya) of Jawa island. The journey was indeed quite an experience, filled with adventure, fun and remarkable view.

6. I travelled to Siem Reap for 5 days in December 2010. Didn't want to rush through the complex, so I got myself a 3-days pass. It was just simply amazing, going through the temples, imagining myself there thousands of years at the height of the Angkor kingdom.

7. Much to the anxiety of others, I travelled solo for 12 days to Greece & Turkey in October 2011. There were too many places to choose from & squeeze into so little time, but I managed to go to Athens & Santorini in Greece. Spent longer time in Istanbul & then travelled to Cappadocia. The highlight of it would have to be the hot air balloon ride over Cappadocia. The only minus points in that trip was the general strike that took place when I was in Greece, hence causing me to change some plans.

My favorite places for all time

So far, it has got to be Sabah (Malaysia) and Indonesia. I had never gotten enough of both. Both provide me with the cultural experiences.

My To-Visit List:

1. Borubudur (Indonesia) - Done (Aug '08)
2. Prambanan (Indonesia) - Done (Aug '08)
3. Angkor Wat (Cambodia) - Done (Dec ' 10)
4. Emerald Temple (Thailand) - Done (Feb '12)
5. The Reclining Buddha (Thailand)
6. Vietnam (South to North) - Done partially. Went to Ho Chi Minh in Feb '10.
7.Sipadan Island (Malaysia)
8. Petra (Jordan)
9. Istanbul (Turkey) - Done (October '11)
10. Egypt
11. Rome/Florence/Venice (Italy) - Done (June '12)
12. Pompeii (Italy) - Done (June '12)
13. Andalusia (Spain)
14. Machu Pichu (Peru)
15. New Zealand
16. Tibet

• Intro Updated Aug 1, 2012

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Deng249's Profile Photo

Deng249

“Open your mind and heart. Look around you and experience life.”

Real Name