"The Mayan Ruins of KOHUNLICH" Ruinas Kohunlích by TravellerMel
Ruinas Kohunlích Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 129 photos
Kohunlich, unlike most Mayan sites is actually not a Mayan name, but is an English version of 'Cohoon Ridge.' Cohoon is Belizean name for a species of fruiting palm common to the area. The name has been "Mayanized" into Kohunlich. The ruins weren't discovered until 1967 by a local Mayan. The Cohoon palms create a park like feeling to Kohunlich that is peaceful and beautiful.
Kohunlich is best known for it's Pyramid of the Masks. It is one of the oldest structures at Kohunlich, built before 500 AD. The building has a giant staircase flanked by six huge heads modeled in stucco. Each mask is over 8 feet tall and is slightly different. While there is no known identification attributed to the masks, some theories say they represent Gods, other that they are faces of ruling members of Kohunlich.
The ruins of Kohunlich are visited still completely surrounded by the lush foliage of the tropical jungle; still people enjoy walking around the site. However, these time worn ruins don’t receive as many tourists as other sites. Only a few tourists venture far south of the Quintana Roo state come here. Since so few people visit this place, it is frequented by all manner of tropical wildlife and exotic birds.
- Pros:Not heavily visited, ruins more complete than some
- Cons:FAR from main cities (2 hrs from Progresso)
- In a nutshell:A lovely day jaunt or shore excursion
The hightlight of a trek to Kohunlich is the Pyramid of the Masks - a large pyramid with six carved stucco masks... more travel advice
On the path leading to the ruins, you will see an upside down tree. Our guide said it was uprooted and re-planted this... more travel advice
TravellerMel's Related Pages
Ruinas Kohunlích Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kohunlich: Mayan Ruins deep in a Tropical Jungle"
- "Kohunlich Mayan Ruins"
- "The Mayan Ruins of KOHUNLICH"
- "a lost maya site...with amazing masks"
- "Ruinas de Kohunlích"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ruinas Kohunlích
- Transportation in Ruinas Kohunlích
- Nightlife in Ruinas Kohunlích
- Warnings and Dangers in Ruinas Kohunlích
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ruinas Kohunlích
- 4 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Ruinas Kohunlích?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ruinas Kohunlích
Photos in Ruinas KohunlíchSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nashville Intro, 81 reviews, 154 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 71 reviews, 134 photos
- Key West Intro, 37 reviews, 118 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 22 reviews, 73 photos
- Chicago Intro, 18 reviews, 65 photos
- Saint Louis Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos
- New York City Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Louisville Intro, 14 reviews, 45 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 21 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pigeon Forge Intro, 16 reviews, 39 photos