"Fan Fair, Katrina, Promotion (in that order...)" Top 5 Page for this destination Nashville by TravellerMel

Nashville Travel Guide: 782 reviews and 1,913 photos

Fan Fair

In 1998, I went to Fan Fair (now CMA Music Festival) in Nashville, TN. Back then, it was held at the Fairgrounds - it was hot, crowded, and WONDERFUL! During that trip, I remember thinking to myself that if I ever left New Orleans, I could see myself living in Nashville...

Hurricane Katrina

August 29, 2005, Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast and the subsequent levee failures left New Orleans inundated with many feet of water for at least three weeks. I evacuated in the early AM hours the day before - first to Iowa, then to Indiana, then finally to Nashville, TN. I remained there for six months, since my job had *temporarily* relocated there. Looking back, I am still touched and amazed by the incredible generosity of the people of Nashville, and especially my co-workers there. They truly took us in - fed us lunch, gave us directions (to the mall, to the grocery, to church), and gave us an ear to bend and a shoulder to cry on. I will be forever grateful.

Promotion

April 2008 - I was accepted as the District Director's Administrative Assistant, a position which requires me to relocate to the District Office in Nashville. As much as I hate to leave New Orleans, I have to say I am excited about the prospect of moving to a new city. There is so much history in Nashville, new places to explore, different sights, sounds and tastes to discover. I am very much looking forward to this new adventure!

• Pros:Very friendly, very clean
  • Cons:City is very spread-out
  • In a nutshell:More than just the Opry (although the Opry is pretty cool!)
  • Last visit to Nashville: Apr 2010
  • Intro Updated Feb 15, 2013

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Hi Mel. Well you have really helped me with some great tips mate! Enjoyed your pages here very much!! :o) I didn't think there was much to do in Nashville apart from country music....but now you have given me heaps of ideas! Like Cheekwood, NashTrash, Tommy's Tours, Bluebird Cafe and Rador Lake where your hubby helped build the trail!! Great pages mate!! Hugs, Ann.

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo
      May 28, 2013 at 7:57 AM

I'm so glad! If you let me know when you plan to be in Nashville, I'd love to meet you for a drink, or something. I love Nashville, and am always happy to sing her praises! :-)

• aussirose's Profile Photo
      May 29, 2013 at 3:47 AM

Hey that would be real cool to meet up with you Mel :o) I am in planning stages now. We are thinking of visiting in 2016. Yes I know.... long time from now.... but I need to plan these things well in advance because the US will be a big trip for us with a lot of saving. So when the time comes.... if you are still on vt, then I will let you know for sure! :o) And the same goes to you if you plan to come to Perth some day. Hugs, Ann xx

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Surprising to see the complete Parthenon. I realize I only saw parts in Athens and parts at the British museum!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Hi, Melissa! ~ Thanks for your stories! Season's greetings!

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Aha! Hence the PPP!! Very nice ring! Congratulations and here's to a wonderful April! Gillybob greetings

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Great tips about one of my favorite US cities. Your James Buchanan tip confused me for a minute, as I originally thought it was about the President, who is famous for being a bachelor... I guess it was just a coincidence that they shared a name!

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Hey Mel, A solid, smoking page that gets one's mouth watering ;) Thanks.

• iblatt's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2010 at 4:02 AM

Hi Mel! Thanks for reading my Preservation Hall tip, I just added 2 photos to it... I enjoyed your Nashville page it'll be useful when I go there in December this year!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2009 at 11:03 PM

excellent page you made there. i will be going to nashville myself next month on a work trip :O)

• miner's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2009 at 11:51 PM

Hi Mel, Great tour of Nashville. Hopefully no more run ins with the local law officials! I see you are a great BBQ lover and have found some awesome restaurants. Thanks for visiting my Santa Clause page..

• DennyP's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2009 at 9:51 PM

hi Mel...great page with very informative tips and pics..This town is on my list of "must sees"...Denny....

TravellerMel Used To Live Here!

TravellerMel

“Not all who wander are lost...”

Badges & Stats in Nashville

Have you been to Nashville?