"San Blas, MX" San Blas by dromosapien

San Blas Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 3 photos

dromosapien

San Blas, Nayarit, Mexico

In 1979 I stayed at the Hotel La Flamingos, farther down Av Juarez, (USD $3/night) a step-up from our palapa in Santa Cruz. It was reputed to have once been a German consulate, as San Blas had once been a major North American port on the Pacific coast. I liked the hotel very much. It had clean rooms wrapped around a lush, a little bit overgrown courtyard, a friendly helpful staff and chickens outside my window to wake up to in the morning. I've read that the hotel has been remodeled and I hope to stay there again some day.

After thirty+ years I doubt I can give very pertinent information about San Blas in 2009, but in 1979, at age 25 I had a very good time there. It was more laid-back than even Playa del Carmen (1995), a Mexican town I liked almost as much, if that is any help, and still San Blas had enough infrastructure like small independent hotels and restaurants to accommodate low-maintenance tourists. Perhaps there were a couple of hundred tourists there. I met people from the US, Mexico, France and Germany and I would recommend 1979 San Blas to anyone who likes a beach vacation without the Cancun or Mazatlan experience. By chance my visit coincided with the February fiesta Día de San Blas so for few days there were probably more Mexican visitors than usual, but the town didn’t seem over crowded.

* San Blas, population: 8,700
There are two towns in the Mexican state of Nayarit with the name San Blas, this page is the one located on the Pacific coast, I believe.

Playa Borrego

Playa Borrego is short 1 km / .6 mile walk from San Blas centrum. The 'curse of San Blas' are jejenes, which are small sand fleas that live on the beach and bother some people. Although forewarned, I didn't notice or imagine them.

• Last visit to San Blas: Jan 1979
  • Intro Updated Jan 28, 2014

Comments

dromosapien

“empty suitcases stare at me like mouths waiting to be fed”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in San Blas

Have you been to San Blas?

Latest Activity in San Blas