"Tarxien Temples, MT" Tarxien Prehistoric Temples by dromosapien
Tarxien Prehistoric Temples Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 45 photos
- The Tarxien Temples were the most complex and ornate of the Malta megalith temples I visited. Most of the on-site statuary and carvings are reproductions and the originals are in the National Museum of Archeology in Valletta
constructed: c. 3000-2500 B.C. (Great Pyramid of Giza built: c 2560 B.C.)
discovered: 1913, a farmer
excavated: 1915-1919, by Themistocles Zammit (1864-1935)
* Paola, population: 8,850, a town with two prehistoric sites, the Tarxien Temples and the Hypogeum. Tickets to the underground Hypogeum complex must be purchased in advance to enter the site, which I hadn't done.
- perhaps a fertility idol in the South Temple
South Tarxien Temple altar
dromosapien's Related Pages
Tarxien Prehistoric Temples Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Prehistoric Tarxien Temples"
- "Eszter's Tarxien Page"
- "Tarxien Temples"
- "Find the fat lady........................"
- "Mindblowing Tarxien"
- "The Worlds Oldest Free Standing Buildings"
- "Tarxien Temples, MT"
- See All...
“empty suitcases stare at me like mouths waiting to be fed”
- No VT rank yet.
- Forum Rank:
- 0 0 8 0 2
- 0 Reviews
- 3,163 Photos
- Add Friend
- Send Message
Badges & Stats in Tarxien Prehistoric Temples
- 0 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Tarxien Prehistoric Temples?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tarxien Prehistoric Temples
Photos in Tarxien Prehistoric TemplesSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 53 photos, 7 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 47 photos, 6 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 20 photos, 3 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tokyo Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Moscow Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bucharest Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valletta Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dresden Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Famagusta Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue