"Famagusta, CY" Famagusta by dromosapien
Famagusta Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 187 photos
Harbour Citadel entrance adjacent the tower re-named by the British for the Shakespeare character
* Famagusta / Magusa / Gazimagusa, population: 39,000 an ancient fortress port
Along with Paphos, Famagusta was the most impressive of the tourist sites I visited in Cyprus. I regret I did not have more time to enjoy it, but bus schedules, uncertainty about its accessibility and poor planning shortened my visit. The walled city was constructed by the Lusignans (1192) and further fortified and occupied by the Venetians (1489) until it was surrendered to the Ottomans (1571) and later ruled by the British (1878-1960). The ancient fortress city was open to tourists. Some out-of-date guidebooks and web sites claim the historic city is a ghost town and is closed to the public, which was not true.
Famagusta buses to and from North Nicosia run hourly on the half hour and the ride takes about an hour -in November 2010. (Ask the friendly tourist booth at the Turkish side of the Nicosia border crossing for directions and a map to the small Itimat Bus Station a few blocks northeast of Kyrenia Gate in North Nicosia. Magusa is the Turkish name for Famagusta and its fortress is the last bus stop.)
The nearby ‘modern’ Varosha quarter, a former highrise hotel and beach tourist area has been and still is vacant and closed since the 1974 conflict. I did not experience the least bit of hostility or tension on the beautiful day during my visit to Turkish Cyprus and the people were very friendly and helpful.
- constructed: 1300
constructed: 1300-1400 as a cathedral and the site of coronations of Lusignan rulers. It has been a mosque since 1571.
dromosapien's Related Pages
Famagusta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Famagusta (Gazimagusa)"
- " Famagusta, a City of Unique Cultural Blend "
- "CHARMING GAZIMAGUSA (FAMAGUSTA)"
- "Not just a university town"
- "Gazimagusa....ancient town of churches."
- "Famagusta memories."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Famagusta
- Hotels in Famagusta
- Transportation in Famagusta
- Restaurants in Famagusta
- Shopping in Famagusta
- See All...
Explore the World
“"empty suitcases stare at me like mouths waiting to be fed"”
- No VT rank yet.
- Forum Rank:
- 0 1 2 0 6
- 0 Reviews
- 3,039 Photos
- Add Friend
- Send Message
Badges & Stats in Famagusta
- 0 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Famagusta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Famagusta
Photos in FamagustaSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 45 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 20 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Moscow Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dresden Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valletta Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Famagusta Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chantilly Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gelnhausen Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Famagusta hotel reviews