"Besancon, FR" Besançon by dromosapien
Besançon Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 178 photos
- defensive tower
named: for Pierre Pillot, Lord of Chenecey and Governor of Besançon (c.1515-70)
address: Battant district, across the Doubs River from Besancon centrum
current use: restaurant
Tour Montmart –defensive tower up the hill in the backgound
a.k.a. Tour de Battant or Tour Carree
* Besancon population: 115,000
- I wanted to visit Besancon after reading Stendahl’s, (a.k.a. Marie-Henri Beyle 1783-1842) description in his novel, Le Rouge et le Noir / Scarlet and Black. It is an ancient city dating from tribal and Roman settlements that has the finest citadel I have seen. The city’s fortifications were designed or modified by the famous French military engineer, Sebastien Le Prestre de Vauban (1633-1707) and constructed 1668-1711.
– city hall, a.k.a. Hotel de Ville
architect: Richard Maire
address: Place du Huit-Septembre
-fine arts and archeology museum
constructed: 1835, as a grain hall (market)
current use: arts museum since 1843
reconstructed: 1967-70, the interior
architect: Louis Miquel (1913-1986)
address: Place de la Revolution
dromosapien's Related Pages
Besançon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hidden treasures of Besançon in Franche-Comté"
- "Pierre_Rouss's Besancon, Franche-Conté and Juras r"
- "Yellow Wine, Comte Cheese, Spas & Sports"
- "Besançon - the capital of Franche Comté"
- "exotique18's new Besancon page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Besançon
- Hotels in Besançon
- Transportation in Besançon
- Nightlife in Besançon
- Restaurants in Besançon
- Warnings and Dangers in Besançon
- See All...
“"empty suitcases stare at me like mouths waiting to be fed"”
- No VT rank yet.
- Forum Rank:
- 0 1 2 0 6
- 0 Reviews
- 3,039 Photos
- Add Friend
- Send Message
Badges & Stats in Besançon
- 0 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Besançon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Besançon
Photos in BesançonSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 45 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 20 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Moscow Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dresden Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valletta Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Famagusta Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chantilly Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gelnhausen Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue