"Langemark" Langemark by JosM
Langemark Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 37 photos
Langemark has, in Germany, been famous for it's students' cemetary. By the end of 1914, the Germans made an appeal to all youngsters to go to war to bring it to an end within weeks. The appeal got an enormous response and thousands of students were enrolled and sent to Flanders. Here they were opposed to the British professional soldiers, veterans of the war in South Africa. They had no chance for survival. More than 9000 of them were killed within weeks of which 3000+ remained nameless. They found their last resting place in Langemark.
The Langemark disaster saddened Germany for many years to come. An SS-division (under the 3rd Reich) was named after this little village.
Mr. Krieger sculptured 4 German soldiers attending the burial of a comrade. The figures are faceless - but they are impressive: one immeditely is touched by their silent mournings.
- Pros:Impressive World War I memorial
When British students come to Flanders, to visit the battlefields of WWI, they also plant poppy crosses for the German... more travel advice
German cemetery to remember 44.061 soldiers, 3000 of them were cadets or student volunteers - fallen in October 1914 in... more travel advice
JosM's Related Pages
Langemark Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Langemark, who's talking about the "bad guys""
- "LANGEMARK AND THE GERMAN WAR CEMETERY"
- "Silent witnesses of the Great War"
- "The German cemetery"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Langemark
- 4 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Langemark?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Langemark
Top 10 Pages
- Aarschot Intro, 20 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morzine Intro, 27 reviews, 30 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ieper Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos
- Gerolstein Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Basse-Nendaz Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mittersill Intro, 9 reviews, 21 photos
- Gent Intro, 9 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bastogne Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hoegaarden Intro, 9 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue