"The Pinatubo Adventure. Baw." Province of Tarlac by danaiskra

Province of Tarlac Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 379 photos

To the Crater

This is the goal.

City-sleekers, brace yourselves (especially those who don't get enough exercise).

Almost exactly a year after we first went here, we came back. This time with VT friend Barbie, and her friend Pebbles, some of my officemates and a new Japanese friend along the way,Shinya (I hope I spelled his name right).

The place is as gorgeous as it was. A lot of major changes though... From what it looks like, the locals are planning to make the trek a lot easier and accessible to more people. Some itty-bitty parts are being cemented. On the viewdeck, the stones are lined up on the edge of the cliff, cemented as where there only used to be a bamboo fence. More huts are in place, and a stair-walkway has been established on the viewdeck.
Now, I don't know if this a good or a bad thing. For sure, more people will come, and that usually means pollution, vandalism and exploitation. Hopefully though, the locals will keep it in control.

On the trek..

This trip is really worth taking. For mountaineers and mountaneer-wannabes (like me).

We went on a day trip to Pinatubo. Left Manila @3am, reached Tarlac @7am (we had a lengthy stop-over), rode the 4x4, trekked to the crater, reached the crater @past 11.

Visit my travelogue for more details. Ü

Picnicking by the lake

We took our lunch by the crater. Then took a dip in the water. The blue-green water was cool and deep, perfect for our calloused feet and sun-pricked skin.

• Pros:The lake and the landscape was amazing.
  • Cons:The trek was hell to my legs.
  • In a nutshell:A trip worth taking - Hurry while supplies last!
  • Last visit to Province of Tarlac: May 2009
  • Intro Updated May 13, 2009

danaiskra

“keep walking”

Badges & Stats in Province of Tarlac

Have you been to Province of Tarlac?

Latest Activity in Province of Tarlac