"WELCOME!!!" hananfahmy's Profile

My homes

This photo was taken by my then-10 year old son,from the top of the Cairo Tower.You can view part of downtown Cairo and the Nile.

I`ve lived half my life in my home-country,Hungary,and the other half in my adopted-home country,Egypt.I`m new on the virtualtourist site and just figuring out what to do around here,so will be updating regurarly,as time permits.
I also love postcards,and some of you were so kind to send me some,i`ll be trying to upload them here.As for now i`m only into virtual travelling,with so much going on in my life that I dont have the time or money to actually travel.
So thank you so much to all of you who help me `visit` your beautiful countries through the cards you send.
God bless!!!

The Cairo Tower was built from 1956 to 1961,on the top there is an observation deck and a circling restaurant.Its 187 metres high,43 metres higher than the Great Pyramid of Giza, which stands some 15 km to the southwest.You can actually see the pyramids from the top of the tower,if u're lucky enough and there is no smog,the skies are clear.

My country

I was born in Hungary and lived there until after finishing highschool.
Here is a view of our river `Tisza` which flews through my hometown Szeged,cutting it into 2 parts,Old- and New-Szeged.
Szeged is the county capital of the county of Csongrad,and the 4th largest city of the country,situated in the south of Hungary,close to the serbian and romanian borders,with population just over 175,000.
Szeged is an important university town and a popular tourist attraction.
The famous Open Air Plays of Szeged (first held in 1931) are one of the main attractions; they are held every summer outside the local Votive Church.

Egypt-Mother of the world

Egyptians call Egypt the mother of the world.It is a fascinating country,and i feel privilaged to have been living here for years now.
We have visited a few places with my family,this first picture taken at the Mediterranian sea-port of Port Saeed.My two kids having a local ride in the sea.
Port Saeed is situated in north-eastern Egypt,and has the population of about 1,500,000.The buildings of downtown Port Saeed are unique in Egypt,with huge balconies on all floors,giving a distinctive look to the city.

Treasures of old

I`ve been lucky to visitLuxor,in the south of Egypt.
Have been to the Valley of kings and queens,the temples of Luxor and Karnak.
The Luxor- and Karnak Temples are situated inside the city of Luxor itself,giving the city a wonderful look.
The Luxor temple was dedicated to the Theban Triad of Amun, Mut, and Chons and was built during the New Kingdom.
The Karnak Temple is the largest ancient religious site in the world.
Its building begun in the 16th century BC,and approximately 30 pharaos contributed to its buildings.
This photo of my kids was taken in the shade of the amazing,unbeliavable pillars of the Karnak temple.Its something you really have to see,to stand under them to grasp how magnificent they are.

Beautiful seas

Egypt has 2 beautiful seas,the Mediterranian- and the Red Sea.
I`ve been lucky to visit both,but the Red Sea is the one close to my heart.
More than 1100 species of fish have been recorded in the Red Sea, and around 10% of these are found nowhere else.
There is a 2,000 km (1,240 mi) of coral reef extending along its coastline.
Beautiful chrystal clear waters,great for divinig!!
I could live my whole life down there.
This photo was taken at the Hilton Plaza in Hurghada,with the spectacular view of the beach behind.
It was the journey of a lifetime to me,but I believe it was just the beginning!!

Connecting the world

This photo was taken in Ismaelia,the water is the Suez Canal,connecting the Red Sea with the Mediterranian.
The Suez Canal is a large artificial canal in Egypt, west of the Sinai Peninsula. It is 163 km (101 miles) long and 300 m (984 ft) wide at its narrowest point, and runs between Port Said on the Mediterranean Sea, and Suez on the Red Sea.

The canal allows two-way water transportation, most importantly between Europe and Asia without circumnavigation of Africa. Before its opening in 1869, goods were sometimes offloaded from ships and carried over land between the Mediterranean and the Red Sea.

The excavation of the canal took nearly 11 years using forced labour of Egyptian workers. Some sources estimate that over 30,000 people were forced to work on it.

The canal finally opened to traffic on November 17, 1869.

The photo was taken in a recreational park in Ismaelia.We used to love going there,because u can sit around and watch these really huge cargo ships float by real close.I guess I used to enjoy the view even more than the kids. ;-)

Animals

Animals...My 9 year old daughter loves them,she would like to be a veterinarian when she grows up.This photo was taken in the Budapest Zoo.
The zoo is actually a zoological-botanical garden,one of the world`s oldest zoos.It opened as a private institution in 1866.
I remember visiting it many times as a kid,and the reconstructions it went through in the years since have made it a remarkably beautiful place to spend a day at.
With more than 2000 animals to be seen from around the world,its a must-see for anyone visiting Budapest with kids.
Tickets sell at 1700 HUF for adults(6.68EUR),1200 HUF for kids(4.7EUR) or 5000 HUN for families( 19.6 EUR for 2 adults+2 kids under the age of 14).If you have a Budapest Card however,entrance is FREE for 1 adult and one child under 14,while card is valid.

• Intro Updated Nov 14, 2007

• fouads's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2007 at 1:46 AM

salam alekoum , welcome on VT hope see your travel and post card pages soon , wish u all the best , fouad from syria

• explore_discover's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2007 at 11:08 PM

Hello and Greetings from Pakistan, I hope the post card will reach you in a day or two. Regards

• saidur_khan's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2007 at 1:37 AM

Hi, just visited ur page,,, hmm, nice pages with great descrotion and pics.. hope to see more in next about ur travel.. greetings from Bangladesh. have a nice day.

• hananfahmy's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2007 at 12:56 AM

Thank You all for ur encouragements.I really wish to spend more time here to make this page more interesting.

• puppis's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2007 at 6:54 PM

Hanan, you are living now in a fabulous place. We would like to go back there for a longer visit...

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
hananfahmy's Profile Photo

hananfahmy

“`If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. `”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.