"Kabul, Jalalabad, Herat, Kunduz,Bamiyan,Mazar" Top 5 Page for this destination Afghanistan by Penelope4

Afghanistan Travel Guide: 459 reviews and 1,137 photos

Bamiyan

I didn't really plan to work here in Afghanistan. Why work in Afghanistan if you have a secured post in Vienna, right? Well, at some point, we all look for challenges or meaning in what we do. I can't remember if I was just curious how it is to serve under difficult situation but nevertheless, I gave it a go. Alas, I've been working here since August 2005. Regrets? None. I just wish that Afghans will enjoy peace and prosperity sooner than later.

My most favorite part of Afghanistan is Bamiyan. You can see a part of Band-e-Amir behind me. What you see is what you get... Very beautiful part of Afghanistan, really!

Jalalabad

I knew the very instant I've seen the scenery: something here's not right. And of course it took me only a second to realize that I was staring at poppy.

Mazar-i-Sharif

Blue Mosque, white doves, kind waitresses (yes, they have waitresses in Mazar and not only waiters!), yummy yogourt and very low-cost clothings! One can see many Afghan women in white burqas in this part of Afghanistan.

• Pros:Wonderful mountains and lakes.
  • Cons:Suicide bombings here and there.
  • Last visit to Afghanistan: Jan 2009
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2012 at 4:17 AM

Beautiful landscape! Thanks for the insight into local customs!

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Nice to read a nice view about Afghanistahan.

• Aitana's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2011 at 5:57 AM

Nice page and tips, Penelope. Thanks for sharing.

• jivanne96's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Hi, Nice page about Afghan..it is really beautiful...when are u passing by Dubai again..

• Oct 26, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Hi Penelope. Thanks for the word "manna". :-) Nice page.

• kidfree's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Wow, really good page. Hopefully one day we can all go there in peace.

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Great writeup and photos of Afghanistan! Hope the people of Afghanistan will improve their life soon.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Hello, Penelope! I wish you success in the future! Your travels are great indeed! ><>< Vielen Dank und bleib gesund! ><><><

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2009 at 12:33 PM

New tips added... Wow...you have been to Afghanistan. Nice pictures. Cheers from Penang, SL :)

• ChristinaNest's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2009 at 4:16 AM

Fantastic lake photo!! I love mountain lakes. And the Blue Mosque is stunning. thanks for sharing and greetings from Bulgaria

Penelope4 Visits Here Frequently!

Penelope4

“Travels open our eyes, improve our senses, and change our perspectives - so travel and live!”

Badges & Stats in Afghanistan

Have you been to Afghanistan?

Latest Activity in Afghanistan