"Kabul, Jalalabad, Herat, Kunduz,Bamiyan,Mazar" Top 5 Page for this destination Afghanistan by Penelope4

Afghanistan Travel Guide: 459 reviews and 1,136 photos

Bamiyan

I didn't really plan to work here in Afghanistan. Why work in Afghanistan if you have a secured post in Vienna, right? Well, at some point, we all look for challenges or meaning in what we do. I can't remember if I was just curious how it is to serve under difficult situation but nevertheless, I gave it a go. Alas, I've been working here since August 2005. Regrets? None. I just wish that Afghans will enjoy peace and prosperity sooner than later.

My most favorite part of Afghanistan is Bamiyan. You can see a part of Band-e-Amir behind me. What you see is what you get... Very beautiful part of Afghanistan, really!

Jalalabad

I knew the very instant I've seen the scenery: something here's not right. And of course it took me only a second to realize that I was staring at poppy.

Mazar-i-Sharif

Blue Mosque, white doves, kind waitresses (yes, they have waitresses in Mazar and not only waiters!), yummy yogourt and very low-cost clothings! One can see many Afghan women in white burqas in this part of Afghanistan.

• Pros:Wonderful mountains and lakes.
  • Cons:Suicide bombings here and there.
  • Last visit to Afghanistan: Jan 2009
  • Intro Updated May 27, 2009

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2012 at 4:17 AM

Beautiful landscape! Thanks for the insight into local customs!

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Nice to read a nice view about Afghanistahan.

• Aitana's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2011 at 5:57 AM

Nice page and tips, Penelope. Thanks for sharing.

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Interesting and entertaining page, Penelope. I'll bet those kebabs smell terrific when they're cooking.

• jivanne96's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Hi, Nice page about Afghan..it is really beautiful...when are u passing by Dubai again..

• ozalp's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Hi Penelope. Thanks for the word "manna". :-) Nice page.

• kidfree's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Wow, really good page. Hopefully one day we can all go there in peace.

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Great writeup and photos of Afghanistan! Hope the people of Afghanistan will improve their life soon.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Hello, Penelope! I wish you success in the future! Your travels are great indeed! ><>< Vielen Dank und bleib gesund! ><><><

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2009 at 12:33 PM

New tips added... Wow...you have been to Afghanistan. Nice pictures. Cheers from Penang, SL :)

Penelope4 Visits Here Frequently!

Penelope4

“Travel light. Shop a lot. Don't overspend.”

Badges & Stats in Afghanistan

Have you been to Afghanistan?

Latest Activity in Afghanistan