"They call Beijing the "Green Capital of China"" China by Penelope4
China Travel Guide: 29,467 reviews and 82,907 photos
First day in Beijing - June 24
Second day - June 25
Juyong Guan (part of the Great Wall)
Third day - June 26
Temple of Heaven
Fourth - June 27
sites where Olympics were held in 2008
Visit to Hutongs
Fifth - June 28
Sixth - June 29
Yonghe Lama Temple
I've always wanted to go to China but I didn't have time to apply for visa.
Not only do I consider China very significant to the world but I have some Chinese blood running through my veins. My great grandmother was 100% Chinese, you see. When I was about 9 years old, I skipped classes and watched rehearsals of Chinese Opera. I am not ashamed that I've done so because those memories are still vivid in my mind and made my childhood enjoyable.
And why visit Beijing in particular? Well, you know, I didn't make it to the Olympics (ha!) so I thought I visit the place when all of you VT members have written down your tips about your visit (ha again!).
Peking is very famous and I heard that English is spoken here than in any other part of China. I don't know if this claim is legitimate...This I can tell you - everybody spoke to me in Chinese!!! My eyes betrayed my roots.
Beijing is green indeed! So many trees everywhere!
As soon as I checked-in, after freshening up a bit that is, I went out and headed for the Tiananmen Square. Well, my hotel's brochure says that it is walking distance. What walking distance - it was a 25-minute walk under a 39 degree sun (if you have a great hip, that is)! I was told that they haven't had heat wave for a long time. So I will write it as a tip: buy a map on your very first day! I think Chinese' understanding of distance is much wider in perspective than ours (more of heavenly terms perhaps). When I was sweating and all on my way to the Tiananmen Square it even occured to my mind that when the order was issued to build the Wall - everybody else thought it was a wall as long as our own walls at home.
Anyway, after getting sunburn and all, I reached the Tiananmen Square but that is another story. I came without a sunburn. I left with a sunburn. That's Beijing for me. But no regrets really. I so love Beijing!
- Pros:Friendly people, great food, wonderful places, cheap transportation.
- Cons:Too many people in the subway. Forget taking the bus during rush hours.
- In a nutshell:It all started in Beijing...What you ask? You tell me!
A lot of Chinese love their locally produced yogurt. It costs 2 Yuan and should be consumed at the store. It may cost... more travel advice
Most of the taxi drivers, believe me, don't speak English (yet). I recommend that you ask somebody to write down your... more travel advice
Penelope4's Related Pages
China Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "China is wonderful!"
- "China - My Roots"
- "Paul2001's 34 Days in China!"
- "China by yourself, incredibly easy!"
- "China - the Middle Kingdom"
- See All...
- Things to Do in China
- Hotels in China
- Transportation in China
- Nightlife in China
- Restaurants in China
- Shopping in China
- Warnings and Dangers in China
- See All...
Badges & Stats in China
- 30 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to China?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in China
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: 55 years ago today..."
- updated a China Travel Page "They call Beijing the "Green Capital of China""
- Wrote a Review Taxis in Beijing in China Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "They call Beijing the "Green Capital of China""
- Commented on one of hopang's China travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 53 reviews, 160 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 32 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sofia Intro, 23 reviews, 109 photos, 4 travelogues
- Istanbul Ili Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ngorongoro Intro, 18 reviews, 54 photos
- Milan Intro, 12 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bamiyan Intro, 18 reviews, 46 photos
- Singapore Intro, 15 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Thessaloniki Intro, 12 reviews, 46 photos
- Cesky Krumlov Intro, 12 reviews, 40 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (45)
Top China hotels
- Shanghai Hotels
- 3044 Reviews - 8029 Photos
- Guangzhou Hotels
- 935 Reviews - 2101 Photos
- Beijing Hotels
- 6188 Reviews - 15387 Photos
- Shenzhen Hotels
- 464 Reviews - 1122 Photos
- Hangzhou Hotels
- 618 Reviews - 1822 Photos
- Zhuhai Hotels
- 119 Reviews - 285 Photos
- Sanya Hotels
- 95 Reviews - 324 Photos
- Qingdao Hotels
- 201 Reviews - 799 Photos
- Chengdu Hotels
- 602 Reviews - 1532 Photos
- Suzhou Hotels
- 346 Reviews - 1113 Photos
- Yangshuo Hotels
- 608 Reviews - 1706 Photos
- Xi'an Hotels
- 1074 Reviews - 2921 Photos
- Lijiang Hotels
- 567 Reviews - 1869 Photos
- Guilin Hotels
- 466 Reviews - 1224 Photos
- Foshan Hotels
- 40 Reviews - 104 Photos