"Ngorongoro Crater - oh, oh, oh!" Top 5 Page for this destination Ngorongoro by Penelope4

Ngorongoro Travel Guide: 143 reviews and 484 photos

The main gate. Here, your tour guide will have to process some papers. If you need to go to the loo, they are clean, go ahead.

Inside, you will find a shop which sells some postcards - good ones at good prices. You may also buy some cold drinks and chips here. I think they also sell some hats.

That's me - about to see the Ngorongoro in a short while. It was a bit cold, mind you. The temperature difference from Arusha was very noticeable.

Ngorongoro - Eighth Wonder of the World

It is about 8,300 sq km, the Ngorongoro Conservation Area in northern Tanzania and is said to be an unbroken caldera. The altitude is quite high - no wonder you will feel a big difference. I for one felt a bit dizzy when I left the area. Amidst the grasslands or mountain forests are animals who come in big numbers. When I was told that migrations take place down there, I thought "Who are you kidding?!". But when I was there, I could not believe my eyes! Zebras, lions, elephants, buffalos, black rhinos, baboons, gazelles, cheetahs, hartebeests, hippopotamus, pink flamingos and lots of birds and other animals - they roam/fly around freely.

The Ngorongoro Conservation Area is situated 180 km west of Arusha in the Crater Highlands area of Tanzania. It is said to cover an area of 8,288 kmĀ².

• Pros:A memorable place. Worth to be referred to as the 8th Wonder of the World
  • Cons:It was hot but hey - it's in Africa!
  • In a nutshell:If I were to live like Jane, I will choose this place but Tarzan must be good looking ha!
  • Last visit to Ngorongoro: Feb 2010
  • Intro Updated Feb 15, 2010

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2011 at 3:26 AM

Nice page!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2010 at 1:06 AM

Used to do bird wathcing. Happy to help bird identification :) Yellowish Lesser Masked Weaver; Grayish Rufous-naped Lark; Helmet Guineafowl; Kori Bustard; Kori Bustard again or Hartlaub's Bustard ?; White Stork; (peacock) Gray crowned crane

Penelope4

“Travel light. Shop a lot. Don't overspend.”

Badges & Stats in Ngorongoro

Have you been to Ngorongoro?

Latest Activity in Ngorongoro