"Dubai - how I see it" Dubai by Penelope4

Dubai Travel Guide: 2,721 reviews and 8,020 photos

The first time I arrived in Dubai

I will never forget it. It was on August 6, 2005. It was rather late and I did not fly to Dubai as a tourist. I had a plane to catch the next day to Kabul. Nevertheless as it was my first trip to the United Arab Emirates, I was quite anxious about everything so I asked a friend of a cousin who was working there at the time to meet me at the airport. Terminal 1 of the Dubai Airport has impressed me since then because everything works. Alas, when the exit door opened, it was not the countless people at the arrival area that scared me but the temperature and humidity. Summer in Dubai is nothing compared to the summer in the Philippines. I thought I was going to die but I am still alive as you know hehehe.... The very first thing I did in Dubai (after checking in the hotel, that is) was to buy appropriate clothes for Afghanistan. Dubai has 24-hour stores which sell everything from food to souvenir items to clothes... The prices are affordable I can tell you.

Dubai to me since August 2005

Every six weeks or two months, I spend two nights or more in Dubai as it is my chosen stop-over. I like staying in 3-star hotels as I prefer to use my money for shopping. But as I have been working in a "different" environment, when I feel the need to relax before flying back to Vienna or to Tarlac (Philippines) or anywhere else, I stay in 4-star hotels (but I do not think I would like to spend money in a 5-star or 7-star hotel in Dubai even if I had the money). Dubai is a highly developed city that one can get comfort and satisfaction in 3-star hotels let alone the 4-star hotels. I am afraid I might get overwhelmed with Dubai's more luxurious hotels.

You can imagine that I have had so many experiences in 3 star hotels in Dubai. I can assure you that the worst so far is to have a room just above the floor where a band plays for the guests. I had a bad mood the next morning. Aside from that, I can only say that the cleanliness of 3-star hotels in Dubai is remarkable and this attribute matters to me the most. Why you may ask. Those who haven't been to Dubai may like to know that foreign workers/employees/staff dominate the locals (in number). Citizens of developing countries go to Dubai with the hope of earning more money for their families. The hotels employ enough workers to maintain the orderliness and cleanliness of rooms. This is the big difference I noticed compared with 3-star hotels in other cities. And may I add, most of the hotel workers/staff, if not all, do their jobs well.

Everytime I visit Dubai, there are construction works going on. When I see too many expensive cars and the elegantly dressed locals, I feel like a small potato :D

What I do not like about Dubai

The taxi drivers. Period.

• Pros:It is in Dubai where I started to learn to respect the Moslem world.
  • Cons:You've gotta have money here to move around.
  • Last visit to Dubai: Jan 2010
  • Intro Updated Jan 29, 2010

• nyperose's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Hi Penelope, Nice meeting you in Bergamo:-) Great Dubai-page! I am thinking about going to Dubai this winter, so I am looking for tips about the city. Greetings from Lausanne, Ellen

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2010 at 5:11 AM

I really want to visit that city that the whole world talks about. With a bit of luck i might get there next year.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Interesting Dubai page with lovely travel tips especially on hotels and accommodations. Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

Penelope4 Visits Here Frequently!

Penelope4

“Travel light. Shop a lot. Don't overspend.”

Badges & Stats in Dubai