"City of my dreams!" Top 5 Page for this destination Baku by persian_hiker

Baku Travel Guide: 260 reviews and 595 photos

Eastern Paris

I can't mention my feeling about this nice city. I journeyed to Baku by my car from Iran border (Astara). when I go trough 5 hour driving I was very tired because for speed limit(max 70 km/h) and taking tickets by police that often to do that with strangers! (You can forgot this by offering hospitality from lovely peoples of Baku)
In late time we saw peoples and great mentions in colored lights in central streets that we cross to road to hotel .we spend one night in 14th floor of Azerbaijan hotel in "Azaadligh" square .I surprised with customer service of hotel. There was no reception, but you guidance by a companionable young man and he take price by himself!
Hotel looks passed its glorious times and wasn't so clean ,each floor have been moderated by an person and seems every few floors had a chief, In first we ask from hotel "Absheron" from oter side of "Azadligh"sqare, but they have no suitable room for us, when we was waiting for rooms in hotel Absheron, noticed to a black limousine that descended one mid age fat man ,very similar to mafia bosses you seen in movies, when I ask a doorkeeper said he is hotel owner ,I noticed a pretty girl entered next to him to hotel and after deals maybe couldn't deal with that rich man and a few minutes later she exited!
In next day morning when I waked up in our room in hotel by walk in balcony I faced to awesome view that I couldn’t seen last night, Azadligh square with nice building on it, blue Caspian sea and harbor all spread in front of my eyes! Fantastic! I run to my camcorder for recording that great moment, nowadays when I watch this tape I enjoyed!

lovely peoples

In the next day we can find a small apartment in nearby in only 60$ per night! That was very clean and so quiet place. I found in Baku there was no mush big houses, often peoples was living in little uniform apartments that from outside often are no mush suitable often old with little sloppy staircases ,but indoors are clean and moderated .of course this is my views in 2004 summer ,I hope with improvement of city mayor system that be better. From above a bridge in east industry region I saw communistic apartments divided by several blocks seems workers area. in near Europe hotel we find big houses that made newly.
I surprised that home we rent is fool of home instruments from a piano to large amount of kitchen tools and glass and crystals, private family album and family movies and C.Ds was in access and picture of house owner lady and her girl are in front of mirror smiled to us! She gave the house key to dealer and went to her relations home to make money from renting her home. ! Trustful lovely peoples!
Most of the peoples are clean, fashionable, stylish, and polite with hospitality. In shops you can ask more things but always offered you by best mood and smiley faces. I can't forget when one of us was patient our kind neighbor lady accompaniment us to hospital. She offered us a pie of cake from their celebrating family later.
We enjoyed times by walking on seaside, in shore that was about 30km far from city we swim in clean tidy water that I haven't seen in Iran Caspian shore. I think it's because for material of land that was a yellow sands .Baku in opposite of north of Iran and Lankuran area is not in jungle and water full rivers that made shore muddy!
I ride Jet Ski and boats on modern clean shore.

Straight to modern world

Baku has faced off, new buildings are made and international companies like Microsoft and MacDonald's have branches in city. I visited monument of Azeri artists that some of themes were from Iran (like Shahriar) .in there likes some places you can see "Aliev's" statue. I think Azeries like most of eastern peoples are characters adore!
My participant friend that was Azeri (from Tabriz) has bought an apartment in new building by an Iranian- Azeri building company. Iranian Azeri's are every where, they investments in this new free market in their neighborhood. In Baku if you don't know Azeri or Russian language you may loose, because peoples often don’t know other languages. when I came back ,in Iran border we saw some Tehrani peoples that want to go to Baku ,they watched satellite programs that announcers tell about Baku beauties and they want to go without knowing Azery language or any other useful information's .we gave them phone number of dealers and beware them from difficulties with road patrols.
Old city and maiden tower
You can walk from "tarkoy", and arrive to old town, very beauty place from old years that Baku was one of Iran's cities. You can see Iranian alphabetical in some old constructions. In those years Baku was the gate of Europe for Iran and named "Baadkoobe". (Wind beater)

You can find more original brands in tarkoy, but they are expensive, if you want cheaper you must go to airport market area, from outside of airport (nlocals said: "aaraaport")
There were very low price dresses and crafts that are often from china. You don’t forget that all shops will close in 5p.m because people must go to recreation!

Night life

"Moaziz" is a restaurant that you can hear folk and pop music with good dinner and you can dance on stage with other peoples. "Roya" is one of singers that were and I found her music's later by internet. (Do you know I make a music C.D to remember my each travel?)In "Nefchiler" we find such as restaurants, in one of them there was a man singer that sings with special very low toned in Azeri and Russians.(I think he was "Aghayev")
In "Rashidbehboodov" or maybe "bulbul" street I found a few night clubs that was suitable but one of girls insisted to me to be my wife! I should runaway! You can taste Russian vodka and pistachio and listen to Russian or western music.

• Pros:great city!
  • In a nutshell:worth to visit several times!
  • Last visit to Baku: Aug 2004
  • Intro Written Nov 5, 2007

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2007 at 12:16 PM

Very interesting tips.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2007 at 3:00 AM

Nice little page about Baku! I guess it must have changed a lot since Soviet times as I visited there in 1984.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2007 at 10:37 PM

That hotel looks amazing. Very good information on Baku, although I'm not sure when I'll get there.

persian_hiker