"Port Vila. Efate, Vanuatu" Top 5 Page for this destination Vanuatu by trixee
Vanuatu Travel Guide: 592 reviews and 1,013 photos
Iririki Island Resort was the place we chose to stay. We wanted a nice, relaxing holiday at a quality adults-only resort.
We got a Harbourview fare near the top of the island, where every night we had a steep climb up the steps to get to our bed. It was probably a good way to work off some of those excess calories we consumed.
The adults-only part of the resort had a wonderful infinity pool near the Bali Hai cafe, where we often spent an hour or so in the afternoon and/or at sunset sipping on cocktails and admiring the view.
One of the reasons we chose Vanuatu as a destination was the quality of the food. With most of the cuisine being heavily influenced by the French part of the condominium rule, we thought that it had to have been pretty good.
In reality, it's a bit hit and miss. There are some absolutely fantastic places to eat, and then there are some very disappointing places. Overall, though, the food is very good.
The most disappointing thing is the overhyping of certain products - the Santo beef, which was generally dry and stringy unless you lucked out with a good chef, and the Tanna coffee, which normally has a bitter aftertaste.
I did take some of the Tanna coffee home to compare in a controlled environment, and it turned out a bit better when I brewed it the way I normally brew coffee, but it still didn't really compare to say, the Blue Mountain coffee.
Although we spent most of out time in Port Vila, we did find time to take a tour of the island. The vegetation was lush for the most part, with some of the northern and western parts of the island exhibiting vegetation bizarrely like that found along the south western coast of Western Australia. There was a lot of ivy weed introduced by the British (damn them!) and although it was green a pretty, it was also a shame to see such a virulent weed take over the jungle.
With Vanuatu being so hilly, there were fantastic views from many vantage points. The Skydeck lookout at Undine Bay and the WW2 memorial in Vila spring to mind.
They typical day trips to the Mele-Maat Cascades and Hideaway Island were worth doing, even though they were heavily touristed. (But from a country that relies on tourism for much of its income, you can't really expect much else).
- Pros:Gorgeous weather, friendly locals, great food.
- Cons:Shopping wasn't very good, not a lot to buy.
- In a nutshell:A great place to be an ex-pat!
Chill Restaurant was another place I would have liked to have tried again. We went there after the Kava tour and we were... more travel advice
We did a half day tour to Hideaway Island, which included transfers from Iririki Wharf to the island. Our guide, Alice,... more travel advice
- For hanging out in Port Vila/Efate
- Bring Everything!
- The Dressing for Modesty Thing
- Not a lot to buy, I'm afraid
trixee's Related Pages
Vanuatu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I fell in love with Vanuatu..."
- "Vanuatu - Pacific Island Paradise."
- "Port Vila. Efate, Vanuatu"
- "Port Vila - Vanuatu"
- "South Pacific's best kept secret"
- "Port Vila Vanuatu"
- "Vanuatu ex New Hebrides"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vanuatu
- Hotels in Vanuatu
- Transportation in Vanuatu
- Nightlife in Vanuatu
- Restaurants in Vanuatu
- Shopping in Vanuatu
- Warnings and Dangers in Vanuatu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vanuatu
- 32 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Vanuatu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vanuatu
- Posted in Travel Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Forum "Train 1st or 2nd class"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Travel Diary That Never Quite Got Finished"
- updated a Vanuatu Travelogue "The Travel Diary That Never Quite Got Finished"
- Wrote a Review More Good Pizza! in Vanuatu Restaurants
- Commented on one of TheDivineMissL's Vanuatu travel pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vanuatu Intro, 32 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Margaret River Intro, 15 reviews, 11 photos
- Perth Intro, 1 review
- Cherating Beach Intro, 1 review
No friends yet.