"Algonquin park." Algonquin Provincial Park by Regina1965
Algonquin Provincial Park Travel Guide: 283 reviews and 392 photos
A VT-member Greggor58 took me on a day-trip to this wonderful provincial park called Algonquin, named after an Indian tripe. I didn´t know really where to add this tip as this is a day trip from Ottawa. Then I found out that I could make a special page on Algonquin park, but we started from Ottawa.
We started the trip early in the morning, at 7 we took off, should have taken off at 6 really so that we could have seen some moose and maybe bears and wolfes, which come out so early but then retreat again into the forest. But leaving at 6 sounded a bit too early so we left at 7 and encountered no animals. Apart from mosquitos from Hell, they attacked with a vengeance, we were fighting them off like crazy and I got bites all over my body, even in my scalp. So remember to bring bug-spray, that is like very necessary.
Algonquin park is really big, but we only wanted to see a small part of it, The Barron Canyon and some lakes. The park is Ontario´s first provincial park, established in 1893 and the third largest provincial park. It is 7.630 square kilometers.
There are ca 2.000 kilometers of routes for canoes, 2.100 backcountry campsites and 1.320 campground sites - so you see why we only wanted to do a small hike and see a small part of the park on our day trip there.
More facts: Algonquin receives 100.000 campers along highway 60, 65.000 campers in the backcountry and 210.000 day visitors every year - we were 2 of those 210.000 day visitors.
There are 2.456 lakes in Algonquin, imagine that, and there are beaches with golden sands so I actually felt like I was in Spain at one point, especially as it was 27-29 degrees C and sunshine when we visited the park in May 2011.
- Pros:There is the WOW factor, amazing nature.
- Cons:Mosquitos from Hell, potential bears and wolfes.
We drove to Algonquin park by car from Ottawa. The drive takes ca 1 hour and 45 minutes. To get there from Ottawa you... more travel advice
After our hike on Barron Canyon Trail Greg and I went to Grand Lake where the Achray campground is located. I found this... more travel advice
Regina1965's Related Pages
Algonquin Provincial Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wow, Algonquin Provincial Park! So beautiful!"
- "An Algonquin Teamwork Blueprint"
- "Algonquin...A Paradise...for Moose"
- "True Canadian Adventure"
- "Away from the Freeway, and into Algonquin!"
- "Algonquin Provincial Park"
- "Algonquin park."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Hotels in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Transportation in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Nightlife in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Restaurants in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Shopping in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Algonquin Provincial Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Algonquin Provincial Park
- 5 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Algonquin Provincial Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Finding cheap flights to..."
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Algonquin Provincial Park travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Driving to Algonquin park by car."
- Wrote a Review Driving to Algonquin park by car. in Algonquin Provincial Park Transportation
- updated a Algonquin Provincial Park Travel Page "Algonquin park."
Photos in Algonquin Provincial ParkSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 234 reviews, 1140 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 178 reviews, 950 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 185 reviews, 725 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 41 reviews, 301 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Intro, 38 reviews, 194 photos, 3 travelogues
- North Iceland Intro, 33 reviews, 160 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (170)
Latest Algonquin Provincial Park hotel reviews
- Arowhon Pines
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Bartlett Lodge
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2013
- Adventure Lodge
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Algonquin Backpackers Hostel
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 24, 2013
- Wolf Den Bunkhouse 'n Cabins
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 15, 2013
- Mew Lake Campground
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 19, 2013