"GATINEAU - QUEBÉC." Top 5 Page for this destination Gatineau by Regina1965

Gatineau Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 204 photos

Gatineau.

Gatineau lies on the north shore of the Ottawa River and here live ca 265.000 people. It is divided into sectors, the Masson-Angers Sector, the Buckingham Sector, the Gatineau Sector, the Hull Sector and the Aylmer Sector.

These names come from towns in England or by English aristocratic families.

I have only visited the Gatineau sector and the Hull Sector, which are the closest one to the center of Ottawa.

Gatineau.

Gatineau and Ottawa are seperated by the Ottawa River - Gatineau is in French speaking Quebéc and Ottawa is in English speaking Ontario.

It is a bit surreal to be addressed in English in Ottawa and after just crossing a bridge on foot, then you are addressed in French. Better know both languages, I don´t, but at least being able to undestand some French. But Gatineau is the city in Canada where most people are bilingual - 63% of the population of Gatineau speaks both languages fluently.

Gatineau.

The Alexandra Bridge and Portage Bridge in the Hull Sector I have crossed from Ottawa to get to Gatineau. I love walking, so I get myself a map and walk for hours. This is what I did in Gatineau, but only got to see a small part of it.

• Last visit to Gatineau: Sep 2012
  • Intro Updated Oct 19, 2012

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Some great places to go in Gatineau. I agree with you, I could easily spent plenty of my time in a museum as good as the Canadian museum of civilization! Isn't the famous Gatineau park nearby?

Mar 24, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Yes, Gatineau park is nearby, didn´t go there though. Will be visiting again in August or September, would love to visit that park then. Thanks for visiting and rating my page, Val :D

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Another excellent page! The Canadian museum of civilization is the type of museum I can spend hours in. It is one on my must see list if ever I make it here. Once again, you found lots of interesting sculptures and artwork, the Canadians really seem good at this!

Feb 2, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Yes, one can spend hours on end in there, I went there on 3 occasions.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2012 at 7:36 AM

What great sites to see! I always enjoy your pages!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Good start on this interesting page. I’m curious about the “Parc de Francophone" (no text yet). The Canadian Museum of Civilization sounds like a great place to visit.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
      Oct 20, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Have a great time in London! I haven't been back there since my daughter's graduation, which was about 14 or 15 years ago.

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Thanks :) A VT-friend is going on a world trip for 4-5 months and is offering me her room in London. I jumped at the chance. It has always been a dream of mine to stay there for a couple of months :)

Regina1965

“Bon Voyage :)”

Badges & Stats in Gatineau

Have you been to Gatineau?

Latest Activity in Gatineau