"CANADA - OTTAWA" Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa by Regina1965

Ottawa Travel Guide: 1,800 reviews and 4,435 photos

O T T A W A

Ottawa is Canada's capital city, although it is not the biggest nor the most cosmopolitan city in Canada. It stands by the Ottawa river in the English province of Ontario.

On the other side of the river, in the French-Canadian province of Quebec, stands the city of Gatineau. The population of Ottawa is ca 860.928 but combined with Gatineau the population is ca 1.130.761 (from the 2006 census).

Ottawa was declared the capital of the Province of Canada in 1857 and after Confederation 10 years later it was retained as a national capital.

I've been here five times and have friends here with whom I stay while visiting. I have totally fallen in love with this city now.

The Parliament building stands like a fairytale castle in the middle of the city.

OTTAWA

There is a market area in down-town Ottawa which is buzzing with life especially during the weekends. My favourite part of the city :)

Here are some useful websites for City of Ottawa and Ottawatourism.ca and Ottawa.com

And if you want to read the best tips here on Canada then check out the tips of my VT-friend Greggor58.

OTTAWA

New art versus old art. There is a big spider in Ottawa. There are some landmarks in Ottawa - the spider is catching on as one of them.

Rideau Hall is another landmark, it is the residence of the Governor General.

By far the biggest landmark in Ottawa are the Parliament buildings, which tower over the city on Parliament Hill.

• Pros:A lovely city, very friendly people.
  • Last visit to Ottawa: Sep 2012
  • Intro Updated Jan 12, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2013 at 1:45 AM

You have added lots of interesting updates since I last looked at this page. It’s great that you get over to Canada so often.

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Will return to finish this excellent page! Golly, you sure saw lots!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Nice page

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2013 at 2:16 AM

David loves war memorials museums..I love the tulips.... I think I go to your Iceland page as first choice because it is so fascinating....Scary scary spider

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
      Jan 8, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Yes I noticed some were still in an embryonic state but more important to keep travelling

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
      Jan 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM

They are getting out of the embryonic state as we speak :)

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:37 PM

You are making me want to go and spend a week in Ottawa!

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Lovely page Regina. I really enjoy seeing all those monuments and statues, especially the ones where you can have your photo taken. So far, Ottawa has been a very impressive city.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2012 at 12:03 PM

You have added some great tips and pictures heer. PJ

• starship's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Never visited Ottawa, but after reading your page I can say that I would certainly enjoy it! Love the beautiful Parliament Building, the Mounties Store, and lots more. I love landscape and the blooming trees really are exquisitely beautiful. Good work!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Regina, fantastic page about the Canadian capital here. I can't believe that although you visited the city already 4 times you never took part in one of the free guided tours of the Parliament building. I remember that I really enjoyed these tours a lot bck in 2000. Highly recommended.

• mickeyboy07's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Great Ottawa tips,ive been to Canada many times,been twenty years since i visited Ottawa though

Regina1965