"AKUREYRI - THE CAPITAL OF THE NORTH." Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri by Regina1965

Akureyri Travel Guide: 150 reviews and 439 photos

Akureyri is situated in North-east Iceland and is the capital of North-Iceland with a population around 17.728, making it the second largest city in Iceland after the Greater Reykjavík area. It is a beautiful city with a lot of character, situated in one of the longest fjords in Iceland, Eyjafjörður, surrounded by high mountains and only 60 km away from the Arctic circle.

For tips on what to do in Eyjafjörður fjord by Akureyri please visit my Iceland page

I always love visiting Akureyri and it brings back good childhood memories from when I visited it with my family. Then my great-aunt lived here and we sometimes stayed with her. Now I have got many relatives who live in Akureyri. When visiting now I either camp on the camp-ground in town, stay at a guest-house or at Hotel Edda (see my tips).

Akureyri is a small town but it has it all, a cinema, hospital, busy main street with cosy little shops, a botanical garden, a lot of hotels and guesthouses, the beautiful Akureyri church, a lot of lovely museums, an excellent geothermal swimming pool with 2 small waterfalls under which you can sit and relax, a mall, it just has this magical touch - for me at least :-) Notice the red light on the traffic-ligths in Akureyri, it is in the shape of a heart, to remind us to care for one another :)

Akureyri is in north-east Iceland on ring-road 1, a 100 km from Mývatn and 389 km from Reykjavík.

• In a nutshell:Akureyri is a very lovely town with character - just makes for a lovely visit.
  • Intro Updated Jun 29, 2012

Jun 11, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Oh my goodness, The church of Akureyri is absolutely stunning. Love the entrance to it and how it so lighted up at night. I always enjoy all your tips, because they are so helpful and full of great information. Excellent page!

Jun 13, 2014 at 7:31 AM

Thank you, Dee, it is my favourite town in Iceland, apart from Reykjavík :)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Me again, coming back to read the numerous updates that you have added here since 2011.

May 16, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Thank you, Don, yes, I have added several tips since 2011 about the North of Iceland as I have travelled quite a lot in this area. Will be going there again soon :)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2014 at 2:50 AM

Another interesting page on Iceland!

Jan 18, 2014 at 2:57 AM

Thank you, Dee - for me visiting Akureyri feels like going abroad, I cannot wait to visit it again next summer.

• thegreynomad's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2013 at 5:46 PM

A lot to see in the capital of the North!

Nov 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I enjoy how they light up The Church of Akureyri! A fantastic page!

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Love your page and photos

Aug 1, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Fabulous page! The Church of Akureyri is stunning!

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2012 at 5:19 AM

another great page. the yulelads!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Another excellent page Regina! Love "that' Church, and the botanic garden's I would really enjoy!
    The Ogre's look rather scary for children, but fun to have your photo taken with.

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2011 at 1:28 AM

Nice updates!

“Bon Voyage :)”

Badges & Stats in Akureyri

Have you been to Akureyri?