"AKUREYRI - THE CAPITAL OF THE NORTH." Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri by Regina1965
Akureyri Travel Guide: 150 reviews and 439 photos
Akureyri is situated in North-east Iceland and is the capital of North-Iceland with a population around 17.728, making it the second largest city in Iceland after the Greater ReykjavÝk area. It is a beautiful city with a lot of character, situated in one of the longest fjords in Iceland, Eyjafj÷rur, surrounded by high mountains and only 60 km away from the Arctic circle.
For tips on what to do in Eyjafj÷rur fjord by Akureyri please visit my Iceland page
I always love visiting Akureyri and it brings back good childhood memories from when I visited it with my family. Then my great-aunt lived here and we sometimes stayed with her. Now I have got many relatives who live in Akureyri. When visiting now I either camp on the camp-ground in town, stay at a guest-house or at Hotel Edda (see my tips).
Akureyri is a small town but it has it all, a cinema, hospital, busy main street with cosy little shops, a botanical garden, a lot of hotels and guesthouses, the beautiful Akureyri church, a lot of lovely museums, an excellent geothermal swimming pool with 2 small waterfalls under which you can sit and relax, a mall, it just has this magical touch - for me at least :-) Notice the red light on the traffic-ligths in Akureyri, it is in the shape of a heart, to remind us to care for one another :)
Akureyri is in north-east Iceland on ring-road 1, a 100 km from Mřvatn and 389 km from ReykjavÝk.
- In a nutshell:Akureyri is a very lovely town with character - just makes for a lovely visit.
Now this restaurant, Bautinn, should really be under "customs" as it is a tradition for us Icelanders to eat at Bautinn... more travel advice
There is a big statue of Nonni, 2,5 meters high, in front of Nonnah˙s. The statue was made by one of our female... more travel advice
Regina1965's Related Pages
Akureyri Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "AKUREYRI - THE CAPITAL OF THE NORTH."
- "The Cornfield on the Sand Bar"
- "A City Surrounded By Fjords !"
- "Capital of north Iceland"
- "Akureyri - Capital of north Iceland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Akureyri
- Hotels in Akureyri
- Transportation in Akureyri
- Nightlife in Akureyri
- Restaurants in Akureyri
- Shopping in Akureyri
- Warnings and Dangers in Akureyri
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Akureyri
- 25 Reviews
- 149 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Akureyri?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Akureyri
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Kortabok Atlas Benefits?"
- updated a Akureyri Travelogue "Akureyri - random pictures."
- Wrote a Review The most popular restaurant in Akureyri in Akureyri Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "The obligatory stop at Brynja to buy ice-cream."
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Akureyri travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 258 reviews, 1388 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination ReykjavÝk Intro, 263 reviews, 1292 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 205 reviews, 797 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 46 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Iceland Intro, 46 reviews, 237 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination SnŠfellsnes- og Hnappadalssřsla Intro, 43 reviews, 220 photos, 3 travelogues