"AKUREYRI - THE CAPITAL OF THE NORTH." Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri by Regina1965

Akureyri Travel Guide: 150 reviews and 439 photos

AKUREYRI - THE CAPITAL OF THE NORTH.

Akureyri is situated in North-east Iceland and is the capital of North-Iceland with a population around 17.728, making it the second largest city in Iceland after the Greater ReykjavÝk area. It is a beautiful city with a lot of character, situated in one of the longest fjords in Iceland, Eyjafj÷r­ur, surrounded by high mountains and only 60 km away from the Arctic circle.

For tips on what to do in Eyjafj÷r­ur fjord by Akureyri please visit my Iceland page

AKUREYRI - THE CAPITAL OF THE NORTH.

I always love visiting Akureyri and it brings back good childhood memories from when I visited it with my family. Then my great-aunt lived here and we sometimes stayed with her. Now I have got many relatives who live in Akureyri. When visiting now I either camp on the camp-ground in town, stay at a guest-house or at Hotel Edda (see my tips).

Akureyri is a small town but it has it all, a cinema, hospital, busy main street with cosy little shops, a botanical garden, a lot of hotels and guesthouses, the beautiful Akureyri church, a lot of lovely museums, an excellent geothermal swimming pool with 2 small waterfalls under which you can sit and relax, a mall, it just has this magical touch - for me at least :-) Notice the red light on the traffic-ligths in Akureyri, it is in the shape of a heart, to remind us to care for one another :)

AKUREYRI - THE CAPITAL OF THE NORTH.

Akureyri is in north-east Iceland on ring-road 1, a 100 km from Mřvatn and 389 km from ReykjavÝk.

• In a nutshell:Akureyri is a very lovely town with character - just makes for a lovely visit.
  • Intro Updated Jun 29, 2012

Jun 11, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Oh my goodness, The church of Akureyri is absolutely stunning. Love the entrance to it and how it so lighted up at night. I always enjoy all your tips, because they are so helpful and full of great information. Excellent page!

Jun 13, 2014 at 7:31 AM

Thank you, Dee, it is my favourite town in Iceland, apart from ReykjavÝk :)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Me again, coming back to read the numerous updates that you have added here since 2011.

May 16, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Thank you, Don, yes, I have added several tips since 2011 about the North of Iceland as I have travelled quite a lot in this area. Will be going there again soon :)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2014 at 2:50 AM

Another interesting page on Iceland!

Jan 18, 2014 at 2:57 AM

Thank you, Dee - for me visiting Akureyri feels like going abroad, I cannot wait to visit it again next summer.

• thegreynomad's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2013 at 5:46 PM

A lot to see in the capital of the North!

Nov 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I enjoy how they light up The Church of Akureyri! A fantastic page!

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Love your page and photos
    Marg

Aug 1, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Fabulous page! The Church of Akureyri is stunning!

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2012 at 5:19 AM

another great page. the yulelads!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Another excellent page Regina! Love "that' Church, and the botanic garden's I would really enjoy!
    The Ogre's look rather scary for children, but fun to have your photo taken with.

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2011 at 1:28 AM

Nice updates!

Regina1965

“Bon Voyage :)”

Badges & Stats in Akureyri

Have you been to Akureyri?