"AKUREYRI - THE CAPITAL OF THE NORTH." Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri by Regina1965

Akureyri Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 371 photos

AKUREYRI - THE CAPITAL OF THE NORTH.

Akureyri is situated in North-east Iceland and is the capital of North-Iceland with a population around 17.728, making it the second largest city in Iceland after the Greater Reykjavík area. It is a beautiful city with a lot of character, situated in one of the longest fjords in Iceland, Eyjafjörður, surrounded by high mountains and only 60 km away from the Arctic circle.

For tips on what to do in Eyjafjörður fjord by Akureyri please visit my Iceland page

AKUREYRI - THE CAPITAL OF THE NORTH.

I always love visiting Akureyri and it brings back good childhood memories from when I visited it with my family. Then my great-aunt lived here and we sometimes stayed with her. Now I have got many relatives who live in Akureyri. When visiting now I either camp on the camp-ground in town, stay at a guest-house or at Hotel Edda (see my tips).

Akureyri is a small town but it has it all, a cinema, hospital, busy main street with cosy little shops, a botanical garden, a lot of hotels and guesthouses, the beautiful Akureyri church, a lot of lovely museums, an excellent geothermal swimming pool with 2 small waterfalls under which you can sit and relax, a mall, it just has this magical touch - for me at least :-) Notice the red light on the traffic-ligths in Akureyri, it is in the shape of a heart, to remind us to care for one another :)

AKUREYRI - THE CAPITAL OF THE NORTH.

Akureyri is in north-east Iceland on ring-road 1, a 100 km from Mývatn and 389 km from Reykjavík.

• In a nutshell:Akureyri is a very lovely town with character - just makes for a lovely visit.
  • Intro Updated Jun 29, 2012

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2014 at 2:50 AM

Another interesting page on Iceland!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
      Jan 18, 2014 at 2:57 AM

Thank you, Dee - for me visiting Akureyri feels like going abroad, I cannot wait to visit it again next summer.

• thegreynomad's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2013 at 5:46 PM

A lot to see in the capital of the North!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I enjoy how they light up The Church of Akureyri! A fantastic page!

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Love your page and photos
    Marg

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Fabulous page! The Church of Akureyri is stunning!

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2012 at 5:19 AM

another great page. the yulelads!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Another excellent page Regina! Love "that' Church, and the botanic garden's I would really enjoy!
    The Ogre's look rather scary for children, but fun to have your photo taken with.

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2011 at 1:28 AM

Nice updates!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2011 at 12:57 PM

The swimming pool has to close earlier because of the financial crisis – but a Microsoft manager can afford a huge yacht. That doesn’t seem fair, does it?

Regina1965

“Bon Voyage :)”

Badges & Stats in Akureyri

Have you been to Akureyri?

Latest Activity in Akureyri