"AKUREYRI - THE CAPITAL OF THE NORTH." Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri by Regina1965
Akureyri Travel Guide: 132 reviews and 376 photos
Akureyri is situated in North-east Iceland and is the capital of North-Iceland with a population around 17.728, making it the second largest city in Iceland after the Greater Reykjavík area. It is a beautiful city with a lot of character, situated in one of the longest fjords in Iceland, Eyjafjörður, surrounded by high mountains and only 60 km away from the Arctic circle.
For tips on what to do in Eyjafjörður fjord by Akureyri please visit my Iceland page
I always love visiting Akureyri and it brings back good childhood memories from when I visited it with my family. Then my great-aunt lived here and we sometimes stayed with her. Now I have got many relatives who live in Akureyri. When visiting now I either camp on the camp-ground in town, stay at a guest-house or at Hotel Edda (see my tips).
Akureyri is a small town but it has it all, a cinema, hospital, busy main street with cosy little shops, a botanical garden, a lot of hotels and guesthouses, the beautiful Akureyri church, a lot of lovely museums, an excellent geothermal swimming pool with 2 small waterfalls under which you can sit and relax, a mall, it just has this magical touch - for me at least :-) Notice the red light on the traffic-ligths in Akureyri, it is in the shape of a heart, to remind us to care for one another :)
Akureyri is in north-east Iceland on ring-road 1, a 100 km from Mývatn and 389 km from Reykjavík.
- In a nutshell:Akureyri is a very lovely town with character - just makes for a lovely visit.
Now this restaurant, Bautinn, should really be under "customs" as it is a tradition for us Icelanders to eat at Bautinn... more travel advice
There is a big statue of Nonni, 2,5 meters high, in front of Nonnahús. The statue was made by one of our female... more travel advice
Regina1965's Related Pages
Akureyri Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "AKUREYRI - THE CAPITAL OF THE NORTH."
- "The Cornfield on the Sand Bar"
- "A City Surrounded By Fjords !"
- "Akureyri - random pictures."
- "Akureyri as I saw it"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Akureyri
- Hotels in Akureyri
- Transportation in Akureyri
- Nightlife in Akureyri
- Restaurants in Akureyri
- Shopping in Akureyri
- Warnings and Dangers in Akureyri
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Akureyri
- 25 Reviews
- 149 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Akureyri?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Akureyri
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: public buses outside reykjavik"
- Wrote a Review The most popular restaurant in Akureyri in Akureyri Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "The obligatory stop at Brynja to buy ice-cream."
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Akureyri travel pages
- updated a Akureyri Travelogue "BREKKUSEL GUESTHOUSE - ADDITIONAL PHOTOS."
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 253 reviews, 1246 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 235 reviews, 1252 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 198 reviews, 772 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 36 reviews, 263 photos, 2 travelogues
- North Iceland Intro, 47 reviews, 234 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Western Fjords Intro, 38 reviews, 214 photos, 4 travelogues