"SNÆFELLSNES PENINSULA - WHAT A MAGICAL PLACE!" Top 5 Page for this destination Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla by Regina1965
Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 422 photos
Snæfellsnes peninsula is one of my favourite places here in Iceland, just a magical place with so many interesting, beautiful places to see. The most known place there is Snæfellsjökull glacier, which is is a dormant strato-volcano, 1446 m high and the crater is ca 200 m deep, and is believed to be one of the seven chakras (energy centers) in the world. It is the main tourist attraction in the peninsula of Snæfellsnes, towering over the National park at the far end of the 90 km long peninsula. There are a lot of interesting stories connected to the glacier, and some people believe it to be the meeting place of extra-terrestrials. You will recognize it from the book and films "Journey to the center of the earth" by Jules Verne.
Snæfellsnes peninsula is one of few places in Iceland with golden and pink beaches. The beauty there is just breathtaking. You will see stretches of lava fields here, amazing gorges and waterfalls, lovely towns, each of which has got its own museum... plus the Shark museum where one can taste shark.
In Snæfellsnes peninsula there are many swimming pools, one of which has got natural mineral water to swim in. Here you can drive into a crater, visit the Virgin Mary´s spring at Hellnar, see the library of the elves, walk up on a sacred mountain, where you get 3 wishes, visit the capital of the the West, Stykkishólmur, with its lovely old houses and The Library of water, go on a boat trip around the countless islands of Breiðafjörður bay and eat freshly caught shellfish straight out of the ocean - visiting Snæfellsnes is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! I have added tips on all of the places I mention and many many more.
Arnarstapi is one of the beautiful places in Snæfellsnes peninsula. The beautiful columnar basalt and cliff formations are breathtaking in beauty and one of Iceland's most beautiful harbours is at Arnarstapi. The population at Arnarstapi is only 10 but there are summer-houses there as well and a restaurant. In former times Arnarstapi was a vibrant community. Take a tour around this beautiful harbour with the myriad of birds squawking, mostly kittiwakes, gulls and the Arctic tern, and when you come closer to the pillars which are white with guano the smell becomes overwhelming.
- Pros:A lot of interesting places to see.
- Cons:One has to stop every ten minutes to see interesting places :D
- In a nutshell:One of the most magical places in Iceland in my opinion.
There are several mineral springs in Snæfellsnes. One of them is Ölkelda, which actually means Mineral spring in... more travel advice
In Snæfellsnes there are some natural mineral springs. I love one of them, where the water is so pure and tasty and has... more travel advice
Regina1965's Related Pages
Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SNÆFELLSNES PENINSULA - WHAT A MAGICAL PLACE!"
- "The Snaefellsnes Peninsula"
- "beautiful, beautiful; stunningly beautiful!"
- "Camping at Snæfellsnes 17th-20th of July 2003"
- "Glacier, Bird Cliffs, Wilderness"
- "Sharrie's Arnastapi Charm"
- "A Great Weekend at Snæfellsnes Pennisula"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla
- Hotels in Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla
- Transportation in Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla
- Restaurants in Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla
- See All...
Explore the World
- Claytor Lake State Park Hotels
- Fort Walton Beach Hotels
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Hotels
- Male Island
- Kuala Lumpur
- Fort Myers Beach Hotels
- Cumbayá Hotels
- Restinga Smir Hotels
- Montecatini Terme
- Lloret de Mar
- Ho Chi Minh City
Badges & Stats in Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla
- 50 Reviews
- 246 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla
- Posted in Travel Reykjavík Forum "Re: Holiday meals"
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ölkelda - mineral spring."
- Wrote a Review Ölkelda - mineral spring. in Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Things to Do
- updated a Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Travel Page "SNÆFELLSNES PENINSULA - WHAT A MAGICAL PLACE!"
Photos in Snæfellsnes- og HnappadalssýslaSee All Photos (246)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 234 reviews, 1140 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 178 reviews, 950 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 186 reviews, 730 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 41 reviews, 301 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Intro, 38 reviews, 194 photos, 3 travelogues
- North Iceland Intro, 33 reviews, 160 photos