"Welcome to my travel pages :D" Regina1965's Profile

THANKS FOR STOPPING BY :D

Iceland is the country where I was born and raised. It is an island in the North-Atlantic ocean 103.000 km2 in size, with only ca 325.671 inhabitants (January 2014), so we have a lot of space. Reykjavík is our capital, the northernmost capital in the world and that is where I live. Ca 63% of the nation lives in the Great-Reykjavík area in the South-west corner of Iceland, or 205.470 (in 2013).

In ca 874 Vikings from Norway came to Iceland and settled here. On their way they kidnapped people from Ireland so our heritage is Norwegian and Celtic. I have added an album here on my homepage of both my Norwegian Viking and Irish heritage. Iceland is a volcanic island often called the land of ice and fire. Have a look at my pictures and tips on my country, most of the tips are under Iceland

If you want to see geysers, 800 hot springs and mud pots, 10.000 waterfalls, 15 active volcanos, the Northern lights, bathe in the Blue lagoon, go whale-watching, see the habitats of the elves and trolls, cross the Arctic circle, walk in the rift of the tectonic plates, cross the bridge from Europe to America, visit the sites of the Vikings, see the sun at midnight, see 11.500 square kilometers of glaciers up close, taste fermented shark, see vast lava fields, see 10.000.000 puffins and get to know Icelandic people* then do pay us a visit :D

::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>:::<>*

My travels since 1973

I started on VT in October 2007 so my tips and photos are only from and after that time. But my first trip abroad was to Copenhagen in 1973 and I fell in love with that beautiful city, coming from Reykjavík the difference in architecture and size of Copenhagen compared to my home-town just blew me away.

1976 I visited Italy for the first time, Ligniano and Venice and fell in love with palm-trees.
1977 I visited Tenerife for the first time and have since created a travel page on Tenerife on VT.
1978 I visited Gran Canaria, which I have visited many times since then and built a Gran Canaria page here on VT.
1979 I visited London for the first time and it was quite a culture shock seeing the big crowds of people.
1980 I visited Copenhagen.
1981 I spent time in Copenhagen and at a Ungdomshöjskole in Ribe in Jylland in Denmark to study Danish.
1983 I spent 2 months in Göttingen, Germany at a Göethe Institut studying German.
1984 I went to Ibiza, Spain and Amsterdam, Holland with fellow graduates from college.
1985 I visited Switzerland and Germany and then spent 3,5 months in Perugia, Italy to study Italian.
1986 I spent a month in Rimini, Italy + other cities.
1987 I spent 4 months in London studying Macrobiotics.
1988 I visited London.
1989 I got a ride on a freight-ship carrying salt-cod to Lisboa, Portugal, and spent some time in Porto and Lisboa. This turned out to be my last trip for 14 years when I got inundated with work and held down 2 jobs and later got too ill to travel.

So when I started travelling again I went wild and went in 2003 to London, which I had been dreaming of for so many years. It was all that I had dreamt of and I was there during the biggest heat-wave in 40 years, it was 38 degrees C - I loved it. In 2003 I also visited Copenhagen.
2004 I visited London 3 times, Alhaurin el Grande in Spain and Darmstadt in Germany. I also spent 1,5 months in Serbia in 2004.
2005 I visited London 3 times and spent 2 months in Serbia and Montenegro.
2006 I visited London and Canada
2007 I went 7 times abroad and visited London, Canada, Torremolinos, Spain twice and I have a Torremolinos page here on VT. I also went to Barcelona, China, Gran Canaria and Tenerife in 2007.
2008 I went to Gran Canaria twice and Torremolinos but that year I travelled around Iceland and went on many camping trips in my country.
2009 - A 6-months'-stay in Torremolinos, Spain. I also visited Gibraltar and Morocco. And a month´s stay in Gran Canaria.
2010 I went on a two weeks' trip to London and spent 3 weeks in Canada. In September I visited Torremolinos and I visited Gran Canaria for a month.
2011 I went to Gran Canaria for a month. Then Canada for the whole of May and spent 4 months in Torremolinos, Spain.
2012 I spent 2,5 months in Norway. And 5 weeks in Canada. Then 1 month and 3 weeks in London.
2013 I spent 2 months in London, 5 days in Serbia and 1,5 months in Norway. Then London again in August and Copenhagen and Bergen in December.

VT-MEMBERS I HAVE MET IN ICELAND

Marielexoteria Mariel from Sweden, whom I met in Iceland.

OH_DK Ove, from Denmark, whom I met in Iceland.

Coollikethat Laila, from Canada, whom I have met both in Iceland and in Canada.

Cwaterbury Charles, from Dallas, USA, whom I met in Iceland.

Barb4054 Barbara, from Poland/Switzerland, whom I met in Iceland.

AussieMadCow Anita, from Australia, whom I met both in Iceland and in London.

Carastar Cara from USA, whom I met in Iceland.

Uzid Uzi from Israel, whom I met in Iceland.

Smirnofforiginal Emma from England, whom I met in Iceland.

I have added albums here on my homepage on these meetings with VT-members.

::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::::<>::*

MEETING MORE VT-MEMBERS HERE

Toonsarah Sarah, and her husband, whom I met for lunch in a restaurant in Reykjavík´s old center in February 2012.

AnaMM AnnaMarie and her husband, Alexander, whom I met on Volcano house down-town Reykjavík on the 26th of March. They came to Iceland for 3 weeks.

Balhannah Dee came for a visit to Iceland in May 2013 and stayed with me for 3 days.

Ana came over to Iceland in June 2013 to do voluntary work for a year here. We first met on the 2nd of July and on several occasion after that.

Barb and Mark came over to Iceland for a month. We first met on the 2nd of July and on several occasions after that.

Travelfrosch. Mark and his family came over to Iceland for a week in July and we met on the 3rd of July.

Jonathan Barker - Jonathan from England. We spent time together 22.8-24.8.

Rachel971 - Rachel and Zohar from Israel came for a 3 weeks´ visit. We met on the 30.08.

Kirsten from Australia came for a week´s visit in October. We spent several days together.

VT-MEMBERS I HAVE MET ABROAD

Carmela71 Carmen, whom I met in Marbella, Spain.

Beach_dog Stace, whom I met in Marbella, Spain.

Coollikethat Laila, whom I have met both in Iceland and in Canada on two occasions.

Greggor58 Greggor, whom I met in Canada on two of my trips there.

AussieMadCow Anita, whom I met both in Iceland and in London.

I have added albums here on my homepage on these meetings with VT-members.

MORE VT-MEETINGS ABROAD

Greggor58 is a great host in Ottawa. I spent a month there and he took me on a trip of Ottawa and we went on a trip to Algonquin park and Barron Canyon, which is an awesome place. I have added a personal travelogue here on my homepage on the time spent with VT-member Greg.

Meeting VT-members abroad

Planxty - a.k.a. Fergy is the best VT-guide in East-London. Fergy took Jonathan Barker and me on a very informative tour of East London, which lasted for 11 hours. He was such a good tour-guide and so knowledgeable - the wonders of VT are meeting wonderful VT members. Fergy took me another day to Greenwich where we spent the day together - we even walked under the river Thames :)

A London Calling VT-meeting

While visiting London for 1,5 months in 2012 the London Calling group organized a VT-meeting for me. It was so nice. First we went to Queen´s pub and had a few drinks and then moved over to the Italian restaurant Pesantissimo and had a late lunch. Toonsarah and Planxty had organized the meeting and Davidjo and Littlebush and his wife Anya showed up. I have added a personal album here on my profile page of our London VT meeting.*

• Intro Updated Mar 4, 2014

• Updated Comment
    Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2013 at 4:11 AM

Happy birthday Regina! Have a wonderful day.

Other comments
  • Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Regina, thanks for your return visit to my Paris page. I appreciate your ratings and nice comments.

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:22 AM

It is my pleasure reading your Paris page. Will read parts and parts of it until I visit Paris in June :)

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2014 at 3:33 AM

Hello again Regina, I was just checking the London page as I need to add something about YET ANOTHER two Tube strikes in London. I notice you are now one of the Top Five members for London and very well deserved it is too with the amount of work you have done. Will you be getting back this way any time soon? There are still a few pubs I haven't shown you!

Apr 19, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Haha, you are lovely, Fergy, the more the merrier :D

• planxty's Profile Photo
      Apr 19, 2014 at 2:10 PM

I have been called many thngs in my time, most of them fairly uncomplimentary and all of them I would admit to. I can't remember ever being called lovely before but I'll take it! Thank you, kind lady.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Thank you Regina for visiting my La Jolla page. It was such beautiful weather that day. The tunnel was fun to explore! Love the polar bear photo!

Apr 10, 2014 at 6:33 AM

It is a lovely place, it was my pleasure reading your pages. Thanks, it was taken up north last summer.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Glad you liked Marseille and thanks for the visit. The churches there are outstanding and we missed the best one! I think you would love them.

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I am sure I would love them - I sure hope I will be able to visit Marseille one day :)

• Parisforless's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2014 at 1:12 PM

I'm very late but I still want to wish you a happy birthday and many more to come!
    Svetlana

Apr 8, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Thank you, Svetlana. I will be coming to Paris this year for the first time.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Happy very late greetings for your Birthday. Happy travels .

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Hey, beware of the bear, they are very dangerous!!!!!!!!!!!

• leics's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Did I somehow miss your birthday? If so, many belated congratulations, hope you had a lovely day.....and apologies! :-)

• jojes's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2014 at 3:48 AM

Cuddling up to a polar bear now?? :-)

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!