"Hafnarfjörður - Reykjavík´s neighouring town." Top 5 Page for this destination Hafnarfjörður by Regina1965
Hafnarfjörður Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 193 photos
Hafnarfjörður is part of the Great-Reykjavík area and celebrated its 100-year-birthday in June 2008 with a lot of activities, like a 100 meters' long cake, a big out-side concert, a lot of Viking activities in the Viking village, and dancing in the pier. Take a look at my travelogue for pictures from the festival. Bjarni Sívertsen 1763-1833 (my ancestor) was a pioneer in Icelandic shipping and trade and has been named the father of Hafnarfjörður and part of his former home hosts the Hafnarfjörður District Museum (see my tip). Here is the official website for Hafnarfjörður.
My mother´s cousin is the Mayor of Hafnarfjörður.
Hafnarfjörður is built on lava and walking through the town you come across big lava rocks in peoples' back-yard. It is a peaceful, friendly and lovely town with great atmosphere. In the old part of town there are lovely quaint little houses, I never get tired of taking a walk there. It is only a ten minutes' drive from Reykjavík, but the energy there is different from that in Reykjavík, much more peaceful.
Hafnarfjörður became a town in 1908 and was mainly built around the harbour with occasional farms there as well. Back then the population was 1.469 but in 2012 the population was 26.486 making it the 3rd largest town in Iceland.
Hafnarfjörður hosts the annual International Viking festival, which is held in June every year. The Viking-festival is held in The Viking Village "Fjörukráin", the Viking restaurant and Hotel Viking in Hafnafjörður. Have a look at their web-site Fjörukráin. The saying goes "you have not been to the real Iceland until you have experienced the Viking Village". "Vikings" from all over the world (mostly Scandinavia and England) gather here and the fun goes on for several days. They sell hand-made stuff, fur, roast a lamb, fight, tell stories and show us the ways of living of the old Vikings. There are a lot of tents where the "valkyrjur" sell fur and hand-made Viking "stuff" and there is also a fortune-teller selling cards. A whole lot of fun and activities.
This is a must if you are visiting Iceland at this time of year. See my tips of the Viking festival and The Viking village. And there are more pictures of the festival in my travelogue on this page.
Hafnarfjörður is built around the harbour which was once one of the main harbours in Iceland. The monument by the harbour is in remembrance of the first Lutheran church in Iceland which German people visiting Iceland from Hamburg built in 1533. It remained at church until 1603 and was taken down in 1608 by the order of Christian IV, King of Denmark.
The people living in Hafnarfjörður are commonly referred to as GAFLARAR.
Here is a good webpage Visit Hafnarfjörður
- Pros:The town is known for its unity and hospitality.
A Settlement Age farm was found in Garðabær in 1986. It is a Viking long-house dating back to ca 870-930, and an... more travel advice
Siggubær - Sigga´s house is part of Hafnarfjörður Museum. It is not by the main area of Hafnarfjörður Museum, so one has... more travel advice
Regina1965's Related Pages
Hafnarfjörður Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hafnarfjörður - Reykjavík´s neighouring town."
- "Once a village, now a suburb"
- "Hafnarfjörður my home town"
- "The lava-town"
- "Four nights in Hafnarfjordur."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hafnarfjörður
- Hotels in Hafnarfjörður
- Transportation in Hafnarfjörður
- Restaurants in Hafnarfjörður
- Shopping in Hafnarfjörður
- See All...
Explore the World
- Santorini Island
- South Bass Island Hotels
- Naga City
- Rio Piedras Hotels
- Mare Island Hotels
- Haslewood Island Hotels
- Saint Julian's
- Runaway Bay
- Digha Hotels
- Grand Cayman
- Addis Ababa
- Tagbilaran City Hotels
- Australia and Oceania
Badges & Stats in Hafnarfjörður
- 21 Reviews
- 102 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Hafnarfjörður?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hafnarfjörður
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Booking accommodation"
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Hafnarfjörður travel pages
- updated a Hafnarfjörður Travel Page "Hafnarfjörður - Reykjavík´s neighouring town."
- Wrote a Review Garðabær - Hofsstaðir Settlement Age farm. in Hafnarfjörður Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Garðabær - Hofsstaðir Settlement Age farm."
Photos in HafnarfjörðurSee All Photos (102)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 230 reviews, 1115 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 164 reviews, 885 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 149 reviews, 821 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 178 reviews, 667 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 41 reviews, 301 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Intro, 35 reviews, 179 photos, 3 travelogues
- North Iceland Intro, 32 reviews, 155 photos