"Húsavík "The Capital of Whale watching in Iceland"" Top 5 Page for this destination Hùsavík by Regina1965

Hùsavík Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 127 photos

The church in Húsavík - Húsavíkurkirkja.

The town of Húsavík is located in N-Iceland, way up north, with 2.300 inhabitants. The nearest town south of Húsavík is Akureyri, Iceland's northern-capital. The beautiful church in Húsavík is 100 years old, raised in the summer of 1907, and is Húsavík's "symbol". The web-site for Húsavík is husavik.is with a lot of information in English.

Húsavík - the harbour.

Húsavík is well-known to be the center for whale-watching, with a lot of tourists visiting every year. The web-sites are www.northsailing.is and www.gentlegiants.is There is an excellent Whale museum down by the harbour (see my tip).

The former home of my grandmother.

My grandmother and her 14 siblings used to live in this house by Húsavíkurkirkja church. It now belongs to the church. So I am 1/4 Húsvíkingur :D

• In a nutshell:My grandmother's birthplace :)
  • Last visit to Hùsavík: Jul 2012
  • Intro Updated Jun 1, 2013

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Going on a whale watching tour sounds to be nice! Too bad you didn't see any bigger whales.
    14 siblings! That must have been a crowded house :)

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
      Oct 27, 2014 at 2:08 AM

Indeed a crowded house :) And then came the depression in 1930 and they had to open their home up as a hotel, so one can only guess how crowded it must have been.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2013 at 5:14 AM

Do you still have living relatives there? Looks like a lovely town. Wow, 15 kids!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
      Jun 3, 2013 at 5:44 AM

All of them have moved away, most of them live in Reykjavík now.

• Odiseya's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Interesting page of lovely place! Thank you for recommendation!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2012 at 9:43 AM

An interesting page about your grandmother's birthplace, with fine photos. I have also been to the birthplace of one of my grandmothers (in Massachusetts) but that was before I joined VT so I don’t have any photos.

• June.b's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Small towns are always nice. L.I.K.E. your Husavik page :)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Like the sound of the whale watching trip, and the Icelandic Phallological Museum sounds very interesting! Good informative page as usual!

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Beautiful Church and pretty community..I wonder how busy can the Icelandic Phallological Museum get?Is it a big draw...kind of a unique theme for a museum Regina. :o)

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2008 at 8:24 AM

Great! so, you are a bit husaviker. My pages are going bit by bit, some destinations are finished, and I Iceland is doing well

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2008 at 11:37 AM

That church reminds me of a certain building in the Swiss mountains, but I don't know why.

• inuit's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2008 at 2:54 AM

you had great weayher that day; did you visit the 66N shop near the harbour? also great Bistro in same place.

Regina1965

“Bon Voyage :)”

Badges & Stats in Hùsavík

Have you been to Hùsavík?

Latest Activity in Hùsavík