"K E F L A V Í K" Top 5 Page for this destination Keflavík by Regina1965

Keflavík Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 192 photos

K E F L A V Í K

Keflavík is the largest of the 3 towns known as Reykjanesbær with a population of 14.137. The other towns are Ytri- and Innri-Njardvik and Hafnir and they were joined together in 1994.

These towns are united and expanding. Keflavík is a lovely town only 10 minutes away by car from the Icelandic international airport "Flugstöð Leifs Eiríkssonar" with 2 hotels (see my tips on both the hotels) and a lot of guesthouses, a cinema and a main street with nice shops.

Its closeness to the Nato-base (evacuated in 2006, see my tips on the Nato-base) and the airport made it a booming town as well as many of the inhabitants here were working on the Nato-base.

Keflavík is often called Bítlabærinn "Beatles' Town" because a very popular Icelandic sixties rock band lived there. In Reykjanesbær there is a Waterworld (Vatnaveröld) with a 50 m indoor-swimming-pool and an indoor water park for the family.

By the sea in Keflavík there is a lovely view of the ocean and Reykjavík in the distance. There are stairs with a platform where you can enjoy the view to the fullest. The stone figures are called "The Stone Trolls" or "The Silent Sentinels" and there are more on the hills surrounding Keflavík - looking out for visitors.

Keflavík.

The monument by the sea is in remembrance of the fishermen made by the famous Icelandic sculptor Ásmundur Sveinsson. The Ásmundur Sveinsson museum is in Reykjavík. This area of Keflavík is lovely by night as the cliff is lit at night. There are quite a few monuments in Reykjanesbær. The website is Reykjanesbær but is is only in Icelandic.

The Viking ship Íslendingur.

I added a tip on the Viking ship here below. It is now inside in a museum by the ocean (see my tips).

• Last visit to Keflavík: Nov 2013
  • Intro Updated Mar 22, 2014

• starship's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2013 at 5:33 AM

Fabulous page! The information about the NATO base is so interesting and I'd love to visit the Duushus Museum. (Didn't know there was a rift between Iceland and England.) We flew into Keflavik in 1983 and arrived at night/early morning in the dark but I think I remember that the airport was then on the base. From there a bus took us into Reykjavik. With so much change happening, and the many things we missed seeing, I'd really like to re-visit Iceland!!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
      Nov 18, 2013 at 6:21 AM

Thanks, Sylvia, please do re-visit Iceland - I would love to meet you in person :D Yes, back in 1983 the old airport was in use. Yes, we had a clash with England back in 2008 when our króna collapsed, but it is getting better now.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2013 at 5:38 PM

The photo of you between the two stones is excellent! I enjoyed your pages about Keflavik especially the part about the giantess:)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Another great page! Love the photo of yourself and the stone Troll's!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Regina, another fabulous page about your home country. I especially like your descriptions about the influence of the former NATO base on the local inhabitants and the daily life.

• Aunt_Bertha's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2012 at 2:29 AM

What an interesting page about Keflavik. I only spent a very short time in Keflavik and that was a long time ago. I hope to visit beautiful Iceland again sometime in the future and for a longer time.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2011 at 11:38 AM

In the 1960s the cheapest way to cross the North Atlantic was to fly Icelandic Airlines from Chicago or New York to Luxembourg. We always used to stop for an hour in Keflavík to refuel, usually in the middle of the night in a raging snowstorm.

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Nice page! I remember a great lamb diner in Keflavik!

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2009 at 11:48 PM

featured member featured very interesting food. Your tip is always rich in detailed explanation of local things. Have a good day.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2009 at 9:24 AM

The giantess? Sounds scary...thanks for sharing, Norman :)

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2008 at 6:42 AM

More than I expected!

Regina1965 Visits Here Frequently!

Regina1965

“Bon Voyage :)”

Badges & Stats in Keflavík

Have you been to Keflavík?

Latest Activity in Keflavík