"K E F L A V Í K" Top 5 Page for this destination Keflavík by Regina1965
Keflavík Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 192 photos
Keflavík is the largest of the 3 towns known as Reykjanesbær with a population of 14.137. The other towns are Ytri- and Innri-Njardvik and Hafnir and they were joined together in 1994.
These towns are united and expanding. Keflavík is a lovely town only 10 minutes away by car from the Icelandic international airport "Flugstöð Leifs Eiríkssonar" with 2 hotels (see my tips on both the hotels) and a lot of guesthouses, a cinema and a main street with nice shops.
Its closeness to the Nato-base (evacuated in 2006, see my tips on the Nato-base) and the airport made it a booming town as well as many of the inhabitants here were working on the Nato-base.
Keflavík is often called Bítlabærinn "Beatles' Town" because a very popular Icelandic sixties rock band lived there. In Reykjanesbær there is a Waterworld (Vatnaveröld) with a 50 m indoor-swimming-pool and an indoor water park for the family.
By the sea in Keflavík there is a lovely view of the ocean and Reykjavík in the distance. There are stairs with a platform where you can enjoy the view to the fullest. The stone figures are called "The Stone Trolls" or "The Silent Sentinels" and there are more on the hills surrounding Keflavík - looking out for visitors.
The monument by the sea is in remembrance of the fishermen made by the famous Icelandic sculptor Ásmundur Sveinsson. The Ásmundur Sveinsson museum is in Reykjavík. This area of Keflavík is lovely by night as the cliff is lit at night. There are quite a few monuments in Reykjanesbær. The website is Reykjanesbær but is is only in Icelandic.
I added a tip on the Viking ship here below. It is now inside in a museum by the ocean (see my tips).
There are several stone figures in Reykjanesbæ town. They are called "The Stone Trolls" or "The Silent Sentinels" and... more travel advice
In Duushús museum there are several exhibition halls, one of them is The Reykjanes Heritage Museum. There is an... more travel advice
Regina1965's Related Pages
Keflavík Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "K E F L A V Í K"
- "Sharrie's Keflavik Rainbow"
- "Keflavik, Iceland"
- "Keflavik Airport"
- "The Airport..."
- "There is more than just the airport here!"
- "chrissyalex's new Keflavik Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Keflavík
- Hotels in Keflavík
- Transportation in Keflavík
- Nightlife in Keflavík
- Restaurants in Keflavík
- Warnings and Dangers in Keflavík
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Keflavík
- 12 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Keflavík?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Keflavík
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 255 reviews, 1254 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 235 reviews, 1252 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 178 reviews, 674 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 37 reviews, 268 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Iceland Intro, 44 reviews, 227 photos, 2 travelogues
- Western Fjords Intro, 38 reviews, 214 photos, 4 travelogues