"ICELAND - THE LAND OF ICE AND FIRE." Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland by Regina1965
Iceland Travel Guide: 5,730 reviews and 17,284 photos
Iceland is the country where I was born and raised. It is an island in the North-Atlantic ocean 103.000 km2 in size, with only ca 313.000 inhabitants, give or take a few, so we have a lot of space, and Reykjavík is our capital, the northernmost capital in the world, and that is where I live. The reason why I live here is that in ca 874 Vikings from Norway came to Iceland and settled here. On their way they kidnapped women from Ireland so our heritage is Norwegian and Celtic. It was just recently discovered that ca 350 Icelanders seem to have Native American Indian genes. So their ancestress must have come here in ca 1000, when Leif the lucky "discovered" America (see my tips on that).
Iceland is a volcanic island often called the land of ice and fire. You might remember our last volcanic eruption in 2010 in Eyjafjallajökull glacier which disrupted flights all over Europe. Ca 42% of Iceland is untouched vasteness and glaciers.
In year 2010 we had 500.000 tourists visiting Iceland, tourism being in the 3rd place of Iceland's main industries with 16,9% of our foreign currency earning coming from tourism (29,7% come from heavy industry and 26,3% come from the fishing industry).
Since the big crisis started here in Iceland in 2008 we have fallen down from the first place on the UN list of living standards in 2007 to the 3rd place in 2009 and are now warming the 17th place in 2010 :(
The picture I include here if from our glacier lagoon Jökulsárlón in South-Iceland, see my tip on that. The official website for visiting Iceland is Visit Iceland
If you want to see what is going on in Iceland here is a good website What's on in Iceland?
There are several good websites on Iceland, one of which is Extreme Iceland.
A new websited was launched in 2012 Iceland.ja.is.
And here is a map on Iceland.
Here is a new (2013) website Guide to Iceland.
I have also created a Reykjavík page, which is where I live. This Iceland-travel page will cover the whole of Iceland, i.e. the part where I have travelled since joining VT.
I have also created additional Icelandic travel-pages for some villages and interesting sights under my travel-pages f.ex.
Þingvellir national park
Akureyri - the capital of North-Iceland
Skaftafell National park
Vestmannaeyjar - the Westman islands
Eyjafjarðarsýsla up North
The West fjords
with loads of more tips on Iceland.
I will show you Iceland driving the ring-road east i.e. counter-clockwise so all the distances from Reykjavík will be in accordance with that. The ring-road is 1.333 km long according to the Public Road Administration (I have also seen the number 1.308). I add my tips on the Blue Lagoon first as this is the place all the tourists visiting Iceland tend to visit. The next tips are of beautiful waterfalls in South-Iceland. See my South-Iceland page for other places in the south.
I will be adding more tips with time. This is by far not a complete guide to Iceland, I still have got so many places to add and will do so when I travel around my country, which I only do from mid-May - mid-September each year.
- Pros:Breathtaking nature.
- Cons:The weather can be really unpredictable.
- In a nutshell:Long winters - short, but beautiful summers.
The 3rd week of May 2014 I went on a fantastic trip into a beautiful canyon in Iceland - Stakkholtsgjá canyon. We were... more travel advice
This turf-house is in South-Iceland so I first added my tip on my South-Iceland travel-page. But seeing it is about the... more travel advice
- See All Icy roads in winter time.
- See All Íslenski hundurinn - the Icelandic dog.
- See All Links to adventure tours.
- See All An excellent stay in troll surroundings.
Regina1965's Related Pages
Iceland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ICELAND - THE LAND OF ICE AND FIRE."
- "From Seyðisfjörður to Seyðisfjörður"
- "Incredible ICELAND"
- "Surprising Iceland!"
- "A land of Fire, water and ice!"
- "Iceland: small wonder!"
- "a childhood dream come true at last"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Iceland
- Hotels in Iceland
- Transportation in Iceland
- Nightlife in Iceland
- Restaurants in Iceland
- Shopping in Iceland
- Warnings and Dangers in Iceland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Iceland
- 940 Reviews
- 4,697 Photos
- 388 Forum posts
- 14 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Iceland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Iceland
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Camping in Iceland"
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Iceland tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Speeding tickets in Iceland!!"
- Wrote a Review Stakkholtsgjá canyon. in Iceland Things to Do
- updated a Iceland Travel Page "ICELAND - THE LAND OF ICE AND FIRE."
- Uploaded a Video to Iceland
Photos in IcelandSee All Photos (4697)
Videos in IcelandSee All Videos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 243 reviews, 1187 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 207 reviews, 1122 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 216 reviews, 879 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- North Iceland Intro, 64 reviews, 312 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 44 reviews, 316 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Intro, 45 reviews, 228 photos, 3 travelogues