"ICELAND - THE LAND OF ICE AND FIRE." Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland by Regina1965
Iceland Travel Guide: 5,496 reviews and 16,250 photos
Iceland is the country where I was born and raised. It is an island in the North-Atlantic ocean 103.000 km2 in size, with only ca 313.000 inhabitants, give or take a few, so we have a lot of space, and Reykjavík is our capital, the northernmost capital in the world, and that is where I live. The reason why I live here is that in ca 874 Vikings from Norway came to Iceland and settled here. On their way they kidnapped women from Ireland so our heritage is Norwegian and Celtic. It was just recently discovered that ca 350 Icelanders seem to have Native American Indian genes. So their ancestress must have come here in ca 1000, when Leif the lucky "discovered" America (see my tips on that).
Iceland is a volcanic island often called the land of ice and fire. You might remember our last volcanic eruption in 2010 in Eyjafjallajökull glacier which disrupted flights all over Europe. Ca 42% of Iceland is untouched vasteness and glaciers.
In year 2010 we had 500.000 tourists visiting Iceland, tourism being in the 3rd place of Iceland's main industries with 16,9% of our foreign currency earning coming from tourism (29,7% come from heavy industry and 26,3% come from the fishing industry).
Since the big crisis started here in Iceland in 2008 we have fallen down from the first place on the UN list of living standards in 2007 to the 3rd place in 2009 and are now warming the 17th place in 2010 :(
The picture I include here if from our glacier lagoon Jökulsárlón in South-Iceland, see my tip on that. The official website for visiting Iceland is Visit Iceland
If you want to see what is going on in Iceland here is a good website What's on in Iceland?
There are several good websites on Iceland, one of which is Extreme Iceland.
A new websited was launched in 2012 Iceland.ja.is.
And here is a map on Iceland.
Here is a new (2013) website Guide to Iceland.
I have also created a Reykjavík page, which is where I live. This Iceland-travel page will cover the whole of Iceland, i.e. the part where I have travelled since joining VT.
I have also created additional Icelandic travel-pages for some villages and interesting sights under my travel-pages f.ex.
Þingvellir national park
Akureyri - the capital of North-Iceland
Skaftafell National park
with loads of more tips on Iceland.
I will show you Iceland driving the ring-road east i.e. counter-clockwise so all the distances from Reykjavík will be in accordance with that. The ring-road is 1.333 km long according to the Public Road Administration (I have also seen the number 1.308). I add my tips on the Blue Lagoon first as this is the place all the tourists visiting Iceland tend to visit. The next tips are of beautiful waterfalls in South-Iceland. See my South-Iceland page for other places in the south.
I will be adding more tips with time. This is by far not a complete guide to Iceland, I still have got so many places to add and will do so when I travel around my country, which I only do from mid-May - mid-September each year.
Seeing that this Iceland page of mine had turned into a very large page I have also created a page on
The West fjords.
- Pros:Breathtaking nature.
- Cons:The weather can be really unpredictable.
- In a nutshell:Long winters - short, but beautiful summers.
The trolls at Fossatún create excellent photo opportunities. The owner of Fossatún, Steinar Berg, a former neighbour of... more travel advice
My mother and I stayed at Fossatún in the summer of 2013. We absolutely loved our stay in this wonderful troll... more travel advice
- See All Brennivín - "Black Death"
- See All Warning signs in Icelandic.
- See All Icelandic lifestock.
- See All Where to find local food.
Regina1965's Related Pages
Iceland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ICELAND - THE LAND OF ICE AND FIRE."
- "From Seyðisfjörður to Seyðisfjörður"
- "Incredible ICELAND"
- "A land of Fire, water and ice!"
- "Surprising Iceland!"
- "Iceland: small wonder!"
- "a childhood dream come true at last"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Iceland
- Hotels in Iceland
- Transportation in Iceland
- Nightlife in Iceland
- Restaurants in Iceland
- Shopping in Iceland
- Warnings and Dangers in Iceland
- See All...
Explore the World
- Key West Hotels
- Makati Hotels
- Davao City Hotels
- Laoag City Hotels
- Washington D.C. Hotels
- Davao Hotels
- Karachi Hotels
- Munnar Hotels
- Southern Province Hotels
- Goose Rocks Beach Hotels
- Ipoh Hotels
- State of Jammu and Kashmir Hotels
- Atlantic City Hotels
- Broad Ripple Hotels
- Portland Hotels
- Pensacola Beach Hotels
- St. John's Hotels
- Winnipeg Hotels
- Beijing Hotels
Badges & Stats in Iceland
- 798 Reviews
- 4,004 Photos
- 310 Forum posts
- 14 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Iceland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Iceland
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Iceland tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Trolls at Fossatún."
- Wrote a Review The Trolls at Fossatún. in Iceland Things to Do
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Reasonably priced accomodation"
- updated a Iceland Travelogue "Geirland farmhouse accommodation in South-Iceland"
- Uploaded a Video to Iceland
Videos in IcelandSee All Videos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 234 reviews, 1140 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 178 reviews, 950 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 189 reviews, 745 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 41 reviews, 301 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Intro, 38 reviews, 194 photos, 3 travelogues
- North Iceland Intro, 33 reviews, 160 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (171)
Top Iceland hotels
- Reykjavík Hotels
- 892 Reviews - 2991 Photos
- Höfn Hotels
- 61 Reviews - 164 Photos
- Þingvellir Hotels
- 63 Reviews - 319 Photos
- Stafafell Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Mÿvatn Hotels
- 72 Reviews - 373 Photos
- Hellnar Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 22 Photos
- Vík Hotels
- 23 Reviews - 71 Photos
- Vík í Mýrdal Hotels
- 76 Reviews - 186 Photos
- Vestmannaeyjar Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Stykkishólmur Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 84 Photos
- Skaftafell Hotels
- 64 Reviews - 171 Photos
- Selfoss Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 105 Photos
- Sauðárkrókur Hotels
- 3 Hotels
- Reykholt Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 3 Photos
- Laugarvatn Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 11 Photos