"ICELAND - THE LAND OF ICE AND FIRE." Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland by Regina1965

Iceland Travel Guide: 6,375 reviews and 19,852 photos

I C E L A N D

Iceland is the country where I was born and raised. It is an island in the North-Atlantic ocean 103.000 km2 in size, with only ca 313.000 inhabitants, give or take a few, so we have a lot of space, and Reykjavík is our capital, the northernmost capital in the world, and that is where I live. The reason why I live here is that in ca 874 Vikings from Norway came to Iceland and settled here. On their way they kidnapped women from Ireland so our heritage is Norwegian and Celtic.

It was just recently discovered that ca 350 Icelanders seem to have Native American Indian genes. So their ancestress must have come here in ca 1000, when Leif the lucky "discovered" America (see my tips on that).

Iceland is a volcanic island often called the land of ice and fire. You might remember our last volcanic eruption in 2010 in Eyjafjallajökull glacier which disrupted flights all over Europe. Ca 42% of Iceland is untouched vasteness and glaciers.

The picture I include here if from our glacier lagoon Jökulsárlón in South-Iceland, see my tip on that. There are several guided tours from Reykjavík to Jökulsárlón glacial lagoon f.ex. this one , which is a 2-day-tour.

If you want to see what is going on in Iceland here is a good website What's on in Iceland?

And here is a map on Iceland.

In 2013 a new website on Iceland was launched Guide to Iceland. I had earlier added websites to several companies offering tours, but on Guide to Iceland you will find almost all the tours available in Iceland on the biggest platform on travel services in Iceland tours in Iceland on Guide to Iceland. So there is no need to look any further.

Iceland.

I have also created a Reykjavík page, which is where I live. This Iceland-travel page will cover the whole of Iceland, i.e. the part where I have travelled since joining VT.

I have also created additional Icelandic travel-pages for some villages and interesting sights under my travel-pages f.ex.
Þingvellir national park
North-Iceland,
Jökulsárgljúfur,
Mývatn and
The West fjords

with loads of more tips on Iceland.

Iceland.

I will show you Iceland driving the ring-road east i.e. counter-clockwise so all the distances from Reykjavík will be in accordance with that. The ring-road is 1.333 km long according to the Public Road Administration (I have also seen the number 1.308). I add my tips on the Blue Lagoon first as this is the place all the tourists visiting Iceland tend to visit. The next tips are of beautiful waterfalls in South-Iceland. See my South-Iceland page for other places in the south.

I will be adding more tips with time. This is by far not a complete guide to Iceland, I still have got so many places to add and will do so when I travel around my country, which I only do from mid-May - mid-September each year.

• Pros:Breathtaking nature.
  • Cons:The weather can be really unpredictable.
  • In a nutshell:Long winters - short, but beautiful summers.
  • Intro Updated Jul 22, 2015

• Jul 24, 2015 at 9:03 PM

Enjoying your page and comments greatly. When's the best time to visit to miss the crowds of tourists?

Jul 25, 2015 at 3:15 AM

Thanks, Ray - the best time to visit is in winter time, then there are fewer tourists.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2015 at 3:12 AM

So far I have now only visited your "Transportation" and "Warning and Dangers" tips and I must admit that your Iceland page really seems to be a very good introduction to your home country. Well done.

May 23, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Thanks, Holger, I have been creating a lot of sub pages on Iceland as it had turned into a huge page, which was difficult to navigate through.

• starship's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2015 at 4:55 AM

Glad I visited this page again to see some of your newest updates. All very interesting!

• nyperose's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2015 at 8:45 AM

You have excellent pages, Regina, much better than any guide book ! There are so many tips that I will have to read them little by little before coming to Iceland:-)

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:18 PM

Thanks, Ellen, I am making my Iceland page smaller by creating many subpages on Iceland. There is just way too much to write about. I hope it is not too confusing. Looking forward to seeing you in August in Iceland :D

• Pomocub's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2014 at 8:20 AM

I really enjoyed reading your local customs tips. Very interesting :)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Excellent new tips! The Jeep tour is very appealing.

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Fantastic page, dear Regina :-)) Makes me want to come right away :-))

Dec 7, 2013 at 2:01 AM

:-) Ingrid in Iceland mood :-)) Marvellous updates and new tips, dear Regina :-)) Back for more later :-))

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Thanks, Ingrid :) I travelled a lot around Iceland last summer, so I am adding to this page.

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:00 AM

This is good :-)) Looking forward to read more :-))

• yaya15923's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Thank you for creating such great pages. Your tips are extremely helpful and the photographs are wonderful. My boyfriend and I are hoping for a trip in May, just before tourist season hits :)

• thegreynomad's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Interesting warnings and dangers that are good to know

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Thanks, yes, it is always good to know what to avoid or stay away from in each country :) I have read the Australian warnings and dangers tips and they kind of freaked me out ;)

Regina1965 Lives Here!

Regina1965

“Bon Voyage :)”

Badges & Stats in Iceland

• 1,220 Reviews
  • 6,161 Photos

Have you been to Iceland?

Latest Activity in Iceland