"ICELAND - THE LAND OF ICE AND FIRE." Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland by Regina1965

Iceland Travel Guide: 5,730 reviews and 17,284 photos

I C E L A N D

Iceland is the country where I was born and raised. It is an island in the North-Atlantic ocean 103.000 km2 in size, with only ca 313.000 inhabitants, give or take a few, so we have a lot of space, and Reykjavík is our capital, the northernmost capital in the world, and that is where I live. The reason why I live here is that in ca 874 Vikings from Norway came to Iceland and settled here. On their way they kidnapped women from Ireland so our heritage is Norwegian and Celtic. It was just recently discovered that ca 350 Icelanders seem to have Native American Indian genes. So their ancestress must have come here in ca 1000, when Leif the lucky "discovered" America (see my tips on that).

Iceland is a volcanic island often called the land of ice and fire. You might remember our last volcanic eruption in 2010 in Eyjafjallajökull glacier which disrupted flights all over Europe. Ca 42% of Iceland is untouched vasteness and glaciers.

In year 2010 we had 500.000 tourists visiting Iceland, tourism being in the 3rd place of Iceland's main industries with 16,9% of our foreign currency earning coming from tourism (29,7% come from heavy industry and 26,3% come from the fishing industry).

Since the big crisis started here in Iceland in 2008 we have fallen down from the first place on the UN list of living standards in 2007 to the 3rd place in 2009 and are now warming the 17th place in 2010 :(

The picture I include here if from our glacier lagoon Jökulsárlón in South-Iceland, see my tip on that. The official website for visiting Iceland is Visit Iceland

If you want to see what is going on in Iceland here is a good website What's on in Iceland?

There are several good websites on Iceland, one of which is Extreme Iceland.

A new websited was launched in 2012 Iceland.ja.is.

And here is a map on Iceland.

Here is a new (2013) website Guide to Iceland.

Iceland.

I have also created a Reykjavík page, which is where I live. This Iceland-travel page will cover the whole of Iceland, i.e. the part where I have travelled since joining VT.

I have also created additional Icelandic travel-pages for some villages and interesting sights under my travel-pages f.ex.
Þingvellir national park
North-Iceland,
Jökulsárgljúfur,
Mývatn and
The West fjords

with loads of more tips on Iceland.

Iceland.

I will show you Iceland driving the ring-road east i.e. counter-clockwise so all the distances from Reykjavík will be in accordance with that. The ring-road is 1.333 km long according to the Public Road Administration (I have also seen the number 1.308). I add my tips on the Blue Lagoon first as this is the place all the tourists visiting Iceland tend to visit. The next tips are of beautiful waterfalls in South-Iceland. See my South-Iceland page for other places in the south.

I will be adding more tips with time. This is by far not a complete guide to Iceland, I still have got so many places to add and will do so when I travel around my country, which I only do from mid-May - mid-September each year.

• Pros:Breathtaking nature.
  • Cons:The weather can be really unpredictable.
  • In a nutshell:Long winters - short, but beautiful summers.
  • Intro Updated Apr 23, 2014

• Pomocub's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2014 at 8:20 AM

I really enjoyed reading your local customs tips. Very interesting :)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Excellent new tips! The Jeep tour is very appealing.

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Fantastic page, dear Regina :-)) Makes me want to come right away :-))

Dec 7, 2013 at 2:01 AM

:-) Ingrid in Iceland mood :-)) Marvellous updates and new tips, dear Regina :-)) Back for more later :-))

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Thanks, Ingrid :) I travelled a lot around Iceland last summer, so I am adding to this page.

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:00 AM

This is good :-)) Looking forward to read more :-))

• yaya15923's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Thank you for creating such great pages. Your tips are extremely helpful and the photographs are wonderful. My boyfriend and I are hoping for a trip in May, just before tourist season hits :)

• thegreynomad's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Interesting warnings and dangers that are good to know

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Thanks, yes, it is always good to know what to avoid or stay away from in each country :) I have read the Australian warnings and dangers tips and they kind of freaked me out ;)

• Ann75's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I love your Iceland page, Regina! Great tips and beautiful photos. I will be coming back to read it all in full detail. Iceland Air has confirmed they are flying direct from Vancouver to Iceland now and fly on to Amsterdam. Iceland Air is allowing people who do a stop over in Iceland to stay up to 7 days at no extra cost before flying to their other European destinations. So we are considering the possibility of stopping in Iceland for a few days on our way to and from Amsterdam next summer! :)

Sep 11, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Thanks, Ann, for visiting my Iceland page and for this lovely comment. That is very nice of Icelandair :) Please look me up if you come over so we can have a small VT-meeting :)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Me again, coming back to see some of the updates that you have added to this page since the beginning of this year. I always enjoy looking at your marvelous photos of the Icelandic countryside.

Aug 6, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Thanks, Don :) I haven´t added any new tips lately, have a lot of material for new tips though, as I have been to many "new" places in Iceland this summer. Will add the tips later on.

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Magnificent page! We very much look forward to visiting your country again this year. Cheers, Mark

• jojes's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Hi Regina
    I'm making a new "Regina's Iceland guide" again out of your tips ...:-)
    Looking forward to our upcoming trip.

Jessika

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Lovely :) I saw on the Technical forums that they do not appear in chronological driving order in your trip planner. Don´t know why, I hope they fix that soon,

• jojes's Profile Photo
      Mar 20, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Indeed all scrambled up ...
      Hope there's a solution for it.

Regina1965 Lives Here!

Regina1965

“Bon Voyage :)”

Badges & Stats in Iceland

• 4,697 Photos

Have you been to Iceland?

Latest Activity in Iceland