"ICELAND - THE LAND OF ICE AND FIRE." Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland by Regina1965
Iceland Travel Guide: 6,412 reviews and 20,111 photos
Iceland is the country where I was born and raised. It is an island in the North-Atlantic ocean 103.000 km2 in size, with only ca 313.000 inhabitants, give or take a few, so we have a lot of space, and Reykjavík is our capital, the northernmost capital in the world, and that is where I live. The reason why I live here is that in ca 874 Vikings from Norway came to Iceland and settled here. On their way they kidnapped women from Ireland so our heritage is Norwegian and Celtic.
It was just recently discovered that ca 350 Icelanders seem to have Native American Indian genes. So their ancestress must have come here in ca 1000, when Leif the lucky "discovered" America (see my tips on that).
Iceland is a volcanic island often called the land of ice and fire. You might remember our last volcanic eruption in 2010 in Eyjafjallajökull glacier which disrupted flights all over Europe. Ca 42% of Iceland is untouched vastness and glaciers.
The picture I include here if from our glacier lagoon Jökulsárlón in South-Iceland, see my tip on that. There are several guided tours from Reykjavík to Jökulsárlón glacial lagoon f.ex. this one , which is a 2-day-tour.
And here is a map on Iceland.
In 2013 a new website on Iceland was launched Guide to Iceland. I had earlier added websites to several companies offering tours, but on Guide to Iceland you will find almost all the tours available in Iceland. It is the biggest platform on travel services in Iceland with the largest selection of tours in Iceland and a best price guarantee. There you can find almost everything there is to do in Iceland, plus the cheapest car rentals etc. So there is no need to look any further, in my opinion.
The most popular tour from Reykjavík is the Golden Circle afternoon tour.
The second most popular tour from Reykjavík is the the Blue lagoon and Golden Circle tour.
And the most popular tour overall is the winter tour the Cave Tour by Vatnajökull glacier.
And if you want to go on a guided tour of Reykjavík then there are a couple of guided tours around Reykjavík.
I have also created a Reykjavík page, which is where I live. This Iceland-travel page will cover the whole of Iceland, i.e. the part where I have travelled since joining VT.
I have also created additional Icelandic travel-pages for some villages and interesting sights under my travel-pages f.ex.
Þingvellir national park
Akureyri - the capital of North-Iceland
Skaftafell National park
Vestmannaeyjar - the Westman islands
Eyjafjarðarsýsla up North
The West fjords
with loads of more tips on Iceland.
I will show you Iceland driving the ring-road east i.e. counter-clockwise so all the distances from Reykjavík will be in accordance with that. The ring-road is 1.333 km long according to the Public Road Administration (I have also seen the number 1.308). I add my tips on the Blue Lagoon first as this is the place all the tourists visiting Iceland tend to visit. The next tips are of beautiful waterfalls in South-Iceland. See my South-Iceland page for other places in the south.
I will be adding more tips with time. This is by far not a complete guide to Iceland, I still have got so many places to add and will do so when I travel around my country, which I only do from mid-May - mid-September each year.
- Pros:Breathtaking nature.
- Cons:The weather can be really unpredictable.
- In a nutshell:Long winters - short, but beautiful summers.
In January 2016 I went to visit the ice caves in Fláajökull glacier and Breiðamerkurjökull glacier in South-East... more travel advice
The hike to the first two ice caves we visited in Vatnajökull glacier is an hour-long-hike, and parts of it are a bit... more travel advice
- See All TAX-free shopping.
- See All The yellow/blue bus around Iceland
- See All Don´t walk on the ice in the...
- See All Adopt a Settlement chicken.
Regina1965's Related Pages
Iceland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ICELAND - THE LAND OF ICE AND FIRE."
- "From Seyðisfjörður to Seyðisfjörður"
- "Incredible ICELAND"
- "Surprising Iceland!"
- "A land of Fire, water and ice!"
- "Iceland: small wonder!"
- "a childhood dream come true at last"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Iceland
- Hotels in Iceland
- Transportation in Iceland
- Nightlife in Iceland
- Restaurants in Iceland
- Shopping in Iceland
- Warnings and Dangers in Iceland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Iceland
- 1,253 Reviews
- 6,330 Photos
- 492 Forum posts
- 33 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Iceland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Iceland
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Iceland tips
- Wrote a Review A lovely country hotel in... in Iceland Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "A lovely country hotel in South-East Iceland"
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: How do I write/convert..."
- updated a Iceland Travel Page "ICELAND - THE LAND OF ICE AND FIRE."
- Uploaded a Video to Iceland
Videos in IcelandSee All Videos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 257 reviews, 1386 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 263 reviews, 1292 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 201 reviews, 777 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 46 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Iceland Intro, 46 reviews, 237 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Western Fjords Intro, 38 reviews, 214 photos, 4 travelogues