"LONDON" Top 5 Page for this destination London by Regina1965

London Travel Guide: 23,663 reviews and 50,371 photos

L O N D O N

Love London :) My favourite town :) When ever I return back home from London I cannot wait to go back. I first visited London in 1979 and fell in love with this city and got a culture shock seeing the crowds of people in the streets, coming from the quiet town of Reykjavík. It wasn't until 1987 that I visited London again and this time I stayed for 4 months at a Mishio Kushi Institute in Old Street studying Macrobiotics. I lived in Hampstead and Southwark bridge road. The year after I visited London again. And it wasn't until 2003 during the big heat-wave that I visited again and when I arrived the temperatures were soaring 38 degrees C! I loved it and we cooled down in fountains where people were swimming, f.ex. in Battersea Park and the fountains at Trafalgar square. The atmosphere was lovely and I cherish that memory.

In the next 2 years (2004-2005) I visited London 6 times and once per year in the next 2 years after that (2006-2007). In May 2010 I stayed for 2 weeks in London.

On the 1st of November 2012 a VT-member sublet her room in Colliers Wood, South London, to me, while she was going on a world-tour. I stayed there for 1 month and 3 weeks and returned back to Iceland to celebrate Christmas with my family. I returned on the 29th of January of 2013 and stayed in the Hammersmith district of London for 2 months. This turned out to be a very cold winter in London.

I was lucky enough to be invited to London in August 2013, so that I could experience the warmer side of London - I stayed in Highgate for 4 days. And again I was invited to London in April/May 2014 and stayed again in Highgate, where my fiancé´s brother lives with his family.

London.

Here are some very good websites London buses which shows you all the routes of the London buses, very helpful. And London markets with detailed information on the markets in London, which are one of my favourite things to do in London. A great website is Visit London with a great deal of information. I wish I had known about this page when booking a hotel as they have great hotel offers on good hotels here.

This is also an excellent page for finding rooms for rent in private homes.

There are more links London Guide with detailed information and maps on markets in London.

And of course London town which is very thorough as well.

And here are webcams on London Webcams.

And here are more four webcams of London.

Here are a lot of webacams A-Z of London Jam-Cams.

And here is a great page on 360 degree panoramic view of London.

I just found this webpage - it is excellent Stuckinlondon

London.

Here is a good Street map of London

I find this site especially user-friendly with a special human touch and inside information, created by a group of Londoners fed up with bad advice about London The London tourist. I do recommend this site, I have never printed out as much information as from this site.

While planning my trip to London in May 2010 I looked through heaps of pages and came across some interesting things I didn't know about f.ex. Being in the audience at a TV-recording Seeing that my hotel seemed to be in the middle of nowhere next to a cemetary I wanted to find out about things to do in this neighbourhood and found out that BBC Television Centre is close to it, so on a rainy day having such a ticket might come in handy ;) While spending 2 months in Hammersmith in 2013 I was in the audience of 5 shows and got tickets for 3 more, which I couldn´t use. It was so much fun and I have added tips on all these shows.

I have added an additional page on Holborn even though it is in the middle of London. My London page was just getting a bit too big ;)

• Pros:London is so rich in history and art and there are myriads of museums and galleries here.
  • Cons:London is inundated with tourists ;)
  • In a nutshell:I feel alive in London!
  • Last visit to London: May 2014
  • Intro Updated May 7, 2014

May 10, 2014 at 7:38 AM

Me again, coming back to read the many new tips and updates that you have added to your London page in the past year. This is certainly a very fine and comprehensive guide to London!

May 10, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Thank you, Don, this is still a page in process, there seem to be endless things to see and do in London :)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Hello, Regina! Thanks a lot for your interesting comprehensive page about the World City!) Good for you!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Fatastic page Regina! I would so enjoy all the lovely museums, fountains, memorials, statues, gorgeous churches. Yet, the Peter Pan statue, Alfred Hitcock mosaic, WWII Womens Memorial, and the St. Pancras Statue caught my attention. It would all be fabulous to see. Thank you for lettings us take a peek at a wonderful city!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I've enjoyed catching up on more of your excellent tips. So sorry I missed seeing you on your most recent visit - come back soon!

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Me too, I am sorry I missed you, too bad the Magic Circle meeting coincided with our meeting. But it was such a great experience going there.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Be back to read more later!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Oct 8, 2013 at 3:20 AM

I've finished your excellent London page. You certainly have seen a lot more than most!

Oct 8, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Thanks, Dee - still a LOT of tips to add - don´t seem to be able to add tips since Jón showed up ;)

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Me again, coming back to look at some of your many updates and new tips since April 28th. I have never been to the Museum of London or the Museum of London Docklands. They both sound fascinating.

Jun 30, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Thanks, Don, I am slowly adding more tips on London. Yes, both these museums are fascinating to people who are interested in the history of London.

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:42 AM

Thank you for your fantastic tour through London :-)) And thanks also for your explanations about the Cristopher Wren churches. I wasn't aware that there are so many because he built them after the fire.

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:52 AM

My pleasure, I am so fascinated about these churches myself, lovely to see that you are as well :) Some of my church tips are on my Holborn page, seeing that this page was getting too large. There are some fascinating churches there as well, but most of them escaped the fire.

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:57 AM

Oh, I must remember this and read your Holborne too :-)

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Do you plan to return in July/August? I might come. Sarah told me about your marvellous London page, so expect me to do a lot of virtual travels in the next days :-)

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Hi Ingrid :) Hehe, lovely Sarah, her London pages are much better than mine - and I still have got ca 50 tips to add on London. Wish I could return to London this summer as it was dreadfully cold during my stay, will see, would love to meet you :)

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Oh even better :-) More to read :-)) It is more likely August for me, but that also depends on a friend from New Zealand who visits her mother in London. Oh yes, izt would be fantastic to meet you finally!!! In a town we both love :-)

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Awesome updates Regina! As always I enjoyed them very much, excellent page!

May 16, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Thanks, Dee - it is a work in progress, still have ca 30 tips to add :)

Apr 28, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Me again, coming back to check for updates that you have added here in the past two weeks. This is certainly a marvelous and very comprehensive page!

Apr 28, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Thanks, Don - slowly adding more tips here, only have a mini-laptop with me, which is always freezing, so I have to save the tips before I finish them :(

Regina1965