"Las Palmas - The capital city of Gran Canaria." Top 5 Page for this destination Las Palmas de Gran Canaria by Regina1965
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Travel Guide: 188 reviews and 437 photos
Las Palmas is the capital city of the east Canary islands, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote and Fuerteventura. The population of the city is ca 377.000 people thus making it the largest city in The Canary islands and the 9th largest city in Spain. I love this city, capital cities of the world have got different atmosphere to them and this one has got a lovely atmosphere.
Las Palmas was founded in 1478 and is today quite a cosmopolitan city, with its beaches, parks and squares, shopping malls, churches and museums. The old part of the city is called Vegueta and there you can find The Cathedral, but my main photo is taken from the roof of The Cathedral. Close to there is the main shopping street Triana. On the other side of town you can find another shopping street Avenida de José Mesa i López where the shopping center El Corte Inglés is located.
Las Palmas is said to the be the city with the best climate in the world! But almost every time I visit the city it is cloudy and the first time I visited it was raining buckets. There is a whole other climate in Playa del Ingles.
From Playa del Ingles I took bus 30 to Las Palmas which takes you to San Telmo and Santa Catalina. The journey took about 55 minutes and cost ca 5 euros one way.
There are 3 beaches in the city, one of which is the famous Playa de Las Canteras (see my tip).
There are myriads of hotels in Las Palmas, the most striking of which is the spiral-shaped AC-Hotel making it a kind of land-mark for the city. Opposite the hotel is El Muelles shopping center and behind it is Santa Catalina park.
- Pros:A very lovely cosmopolitan city.
- Cons:Very narrow streets and almost impossible to find a parking space.
Every year in November WOMAD organises concert festivals around the world. One of them is held in Parque Santa Catalina... more travel advice
I love going to markets, be it outside markets or inside markets. This big market in Las Palmas is a typical market with... more travel advice
Regina1965's Related Pages
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE BEST CLIMATE YEAR AROUND!"
- "LAS PALMAS"
- "The Island of Year Round Sun"
- "Las Palmas - The capital city of Gran Canaria."
- "Gran Canaria - Fragil Rock1"
- "Vast Sand Dunes and a Lot More Too!"
- "La Playa de las Canteras ( Las Palmas )"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- Hotels in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- Transportation in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- Nightlife in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- Restaurants in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- Shopping in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- Warnings and Dangers in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- 14 Reviews
- 80 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Las Palmas de Gran Canaria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Kortabok Atlas Benefits?"
- updated a Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Travel Page "Las Palmas - The capital city of Gran Canaria."
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Las Palmas de Gran Canaria tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Parque Doramas - a park named after a king."
- Wrote a Review WOMAD 2009! in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Things to Do
Photos in Las Palmas de Gran CanariaSee All Photos (80)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 258 reviews, 1388 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 263 reviews, 1292 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 205 reviews, 797 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 46 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Iceland Intro, 46 reviews, 237 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Western Fjords Intro, 39 reviews, 219 photos, 4 travelogues