"Jökulsárgljúfur - glacial canyon in North Iceland." Jökulsárgljùfur by Regina1965
Jökulsárgljùfur Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 106 photos
In Jökulsárgljúfur canyon runs the glacial river Jökulsá á Fjöllum, which is Iceland´s second longest river. Jökulsárgljúfur canyon is a National Park and here is Dettifoss, Europe´s larges waterfall (volume wise). It is breathtaking to say the least. There are two other waterfalls here, Selfoss and Hafragilsfoss waterfall.
Hljóðaklettar "The Echo Rocks" are in N-Iceland just south of Ásbyrgi in the Jökulsárgljúfur National Park. When coming down the road leading to Hljóðaklettar a whole walley of extraordinary rock formation opens up.
These extraordinary rock formations, many of them standing in the middle of Jökulsá river (Jökulsá á Fjöllum) are the remains of volcanoes which have been eroded for centuries after centuries by the strong currents and floods of Jökulsá, which is the river coming from Dettifoss and Vatnajökull glacier, leaving only these extraordinary volcanic plugs behind.
Ásbyrgi "The shelter of the gods" is one of the most magical places in Iceland, and definitely one of my most favourite places here in Iceland.
It is like out of this world and one cannot but say "wow" when it opens up as you see it from the road. It belongs to Jökulsárgljúfur National Park and is 3.5 km in length and 1.1 km across with the walls being up to 100 meters high! According to Norse mythology Óðinn was once riding his 8-legged horse, Sleipnir, and it put one of it's hoofs down and created Ásbyrgi, which is in the shape of a very big horse-shoe. The geological explanation varies to a great extent from what the Vikings believed, but I will stick to this explanation :D
By the way, Ásbyrgi is the capital city of the Hidden people "Huldufólk" of Iceland and psychic people have seen many homes, public buildings and concert halls belonging to Huldufólk "The hidden people" in the cliffs. There are many stories in our folklore about human encounters with the Hidden people, so you never know what might happen when you visit Ásbyrgi!!
- In a nutshell:Absolutely breathtaking.
It is possible to see Dettifoss, Europe´s most forceful waterfall from 2 sides, east and west. There is a paved road... more travel advice
Selfoss is an 11 meters high waterfall in the glacial river Jökulsá á Fjöllum. It is located right above Dettifoss... more travel advice
Written Feb 17, 2009
Hljóðaklettar - Echo rocks.
Written Aug 24, 2010
Ásbyrgi - Sleipnir's foot-print.
Regina1965's Related Pages
Jökulsárgljùfur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jökulsárgljúfur - glacial canyon in North Iceland."
- Create a Jökulsárgljùfur Travel Page
Badges & Stats in Jökulsárgljùfur
- 18 Reviews
- 106 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Jökulsárgljùfur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jökulsárgljùfur
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Jökulsárgljùfur travel pages
- Wrote a Review Dettifoss waterfall - the east side in Jökulsárgljùfur Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Dettifoss waterfall - the east side"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: VT Pages -- Reading Habits"
- updated a Jökulsárgljùfur Travel Page "Jökulsárgljúfur - glacial canyon in North Iceland."
Photos in JökulsárgljùfurSee All Photos (106)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 251 reviews, 1237 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 235 reviews, 1252 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 217 reviews, 875 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- North Iceland Intro, 75 reviews, 367 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 49 reviews, 344 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Intro, 45 reviews, 228 photos, 3 travelogues