"Geysir." Top 5 Page for this destination Geysir by Regina1965
Geysir Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 291 photos
This is Geysir-Strokkur in winter time and travelogues with more picture. See a tip on Geysir-Strokkur under Iceland
Strokkur is currently the most active spring in Iceland, not Geysir. The first tales of it spouting are from 1789 and it has had its ups and downs like Geysir, being revived by earthquakes in this area. But in 1920 it died down, so a 40 meters deep hole was drilled in it in 1963, which resulted in it spouting with ca 10 minutes´ intervals since then.
This natural phenomenon is only to be seen in Iceland, nowhere else in Europe, so it is well worth a visit. Geysir is claimed to be the biggest in the world, and has given its name to all other hot-springs which are called geysers. Although this geothermal area is named after Geysir then the "geysir" which erupts most frequently (like every 5-10 minutes), is called Strokkur. Geysir itself stopped erupting in 1915, but it must have been a sight to see as it went about 60 metres into the air, but Strokkur is much smaller. Icelanders tried reviving it by throwing soap into Geysir and forced an eruption and from time to time it erupted.
Then on 17th of June 2000 (our National day) we had a big earthquake and Geysir started erupting again, but much less frequently than Strokkur. Sadly Geysir only erupts ca 8-10 metres into the air now, but nevertheless it is magnificent. Geysir only erupts from time to time now and one never knows when (2015)
Take care that this is a high temperature geothermal area and stay within the boundaries and don't touch the water as it is HOT. And refrain from throwing money or junk into Strokkur or the hot-springs, which is happening more and more frequently. And if you don't want to be drenched stay up-wind. I myself have arrived there at the very moment of the eruption and as it can get really windy then I got Strokkur in my face.
Geysir is on the Golden Circle tour and is about a 110 kilometres away from Reykjavík, depending on the route you take. Gullfoss is 10 kilometres away from Geysir. There is a hotel "Hótel Geysir" across the road from Geysir and a restaurant with a souvenir shop and a geocentre "Geysisstofa". Pictures are in the Travelogue here.
From March 2014 there was an entrance fee to this area ISK 600. On April 14th 2014 the Icelandic state put a junction on the landowner asking for a fee to visit the Geysir area. This is a very explosive subject.
- Pros:An awesome natural phenomenon.
- Cons:Dangerous geothermal area.
- In a nutshell:A must see while visiting Iceland.
One of the hot springs in the Geysir area is called Konungshver or The King´s hot spring or The Royal hot spring. It is... more travel advice
Blesi hot spring is one of the hot springs on the Geysir area. It doesn´t spout at the moment, I have actually never... more travel advice
Written May 9, 2016
Geysir - hotel and shop and more.
Written Oct 6, 2011
Photos of Strokkur erupting.
Regina1965's Related Pages
Geysir Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Geysir and Surroundings"
- "The ORIGINAL Geysir"
- "What a wonderful Geysir!!!"
- "Shooting From The Ground !"
- "GEYSIRS EVERYWHERE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Geysir
- Hotels in Geysir
- Transportation in Geysir
- Restaurants in Geysir
- Shopping in Geysir
- Warnings and Dangers in Geysir
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Geysir
- 7 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Geysir?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Geysir
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 258 reviews, 1388 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 263 reviews, 1292 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 205 reviews, 797 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 46 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Iceland Intro, 46 reviews, 237 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Western Fjords Intro, 39 reviews, 219 photos, 4 travelogues