"Geysir." Top 5 Page for this destination Geysir by Regina1965

Geysir Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 266 photos

Geysir - Strokkur.

This is Geysir-Strokkur in winter time and travelogues with more picture. See a tip on Geysir-Strokkur under Iceland

Strokkur is currently the most active spring in Iceland, not Geysir. The first tales of it spouting are from 1789 and it has had its ups and downs like Geysir, being revived by earthquakes in this area. But in 1920 it died down, so a 40 meters deep hole was drilled in it in 1963, which resulted in it spouting with ca 10 minutes´ intervals since then.

Geysir - Strokkur.

This natural phenomenon is only to be seen in Iceland, nowhere else in Europe, so it is well worth a visit. Geysir is claimed to be the biggest in the world, and has given its name to all other hot-springs which are called geysers. Although this geothermal area is named after Geysir then the "geysir" which erupts most frequently (like every 5-10 minutes), is called Strokkur. Geysir itself stopped erupting in 1915, but it must have been a sight to see as it went about 60 metres into the air, but Strokkur is much smaller. Icelanders tried reviving it by throwing soap into Geysir and forced an eruption and from time to time it erupted.

Then on 17th of June 2000 (our National day) we had a big earthquake and Geysir started erupting again, but much less frequently than Strokkur. Sadly Geysir only erupts ca 8-10 metres into the air now, but nevertheless it is magnificent. Geysir has now stopped erupting again.

Take care that this is a high temperature geothermal area and stay within the boundaries and don't touch the water as it is HOT. And refrain from throwing money or junk into Strokkur or the hot-springs, which is happening more and more frequently. And if you don't want to be drenched stay up-wind. I myself have arrived there at the very moment of the eruption and as it can get really windy then I got Strokkur in my face.

Geysir - Strokkur.

Geysir is on the Golden Circle tour and is about a 110 kilometres away from Reykjavík, depending on the route you take. Gullfoss is 10 kilometres away from Geysir. There is a hotel "Hótel Geysir" across the road from Geysir and a restaurant with a souvenir shop and a geocentre "Geysisstofa" entrance fee 800 kr. (April 2008). Pictures are in the Travelogue here.

Just note that during winter time the roads to Geysir are not cleared of snow on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

From March 2014 there will be an entrance fee to this area ISK 600. On April 14th 2014 the Icelandic state put a junction on the landowner asking for a fee to visit the Geysir area. This is a very explosive subject.

• Pros:An awesome natural phenomenon.
  • Cons:Dangerous geothermal area.
  • In a nutshell:A must see while visiting Iceland.
  • Last visit to Geysir: Apr 2014
  • Intro Updated Apr 14, 2014

Jan 23, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Great memories! I haven't even looked at my photos yet!

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:43 AM

Yes, such wonderful memories from your trip to Iceland :) Looking forward to seeing your photos and tips from our trip together :)

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:54 PM

I think it will be a long time. Am only finishing the Czech Republic.

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2013 at 12:46 AM

A very interesting page! I'd love to see Iceland some time, it must be an incredibly picturesque country.

Sep 29, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Thanks, Golo, yes, I must agree, Iceland is a very picturesque country, I never get tired of travelling here. I hope you do come for a visit one day :)

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
      Sep 29, 2013 at 1:18 AM

I will certainly try!

Jul 15, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Excellent writing's and photo's!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2012 at 12:58 PM

What a beautiful place! Nice page!

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Thanks, beautiful and so dangerous as well. It is one of the biggest tourist attraction here.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Regina, another fantastic little page of yours. A hike up to the Mountain Laugafell sounds like my sort of thing.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2012 at 8:43 PM

This reminds me of Yellowstone. The eruptions are amazing. Love the Troll! Neat page!

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Right now I look in the TV the show Ultimate Survival on Iceland! Very interesting! L.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Haha...oh yes, I remember sitting in Keflavik airport waiting for that bus for hours on end! We really should have done our research properly! :-)
    I shall definitely have to revisit Iceland; the landscapes look incredible, and we saw just a small part of the country last time. I'd love to do the Golden Circle tour...and, of course, return to the Blue Lagoon for a relaxing dip!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2012 at 6:10 AM

Another must for our trip - thanks for more great tips :-) See you on Friday!

• dplesko's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Hi Regina, thank you for interesting information and pictures. Damir

Regina1965 Visits Here Frequently!

Regina1965