"Grindavík - The Blue lagoon." Top 5 Page for this destination Grindavík by Regina1965
Grindavík Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 99 photos
Grindavík is a hamlet with ca 2.830 inhabitants. Despite it being so small it is one of the most important fishing towns in Iceland.
Grindavík has got a church, a swimming pool, a golf course, horse-rental, 5 restaurants and a hotel and there are many interesting things to visit in this area. There is also The Icelandic Salt Fish Museum (650 fm2) which displays the story of salt fish production which has been really important for the Icelandic economy.
How to get to Grindavík: When driving from Reykjavík you turn right and under the bridge after about 48 km. When coming from the International airport or Keflavík you turn right after ca 15 kilometres. From there there are 13 km to Grindavík.
5 kilometres west of the town-centre is Grindavík's main attraction, The Blue Lagoon, visited by almost all tourists who visit Iceland, and frequented a lot by us Icelanders as well. I created this Grindavík page when I started out on VT, as The Blue Lagoon belongs to Grindavík, but the tips got kind of lost on this page. That is why I moved them to my Iceland pages and Reykjanes pages.
There is a lovely little old house in Grindavík, called Gestahús Einars in Garðhúsum. It is 135 years old and serves as a small Information center and there is Icelandic embroidery for sale.
In 1627 some Algerian thugs came to Grindavík and more places in Iceland and kidnapped a lot of Icelanders and sold them into slavery :( You can see a glass stained window in the new church depicting that horrible act.
In 1627 the Algerians, which Icelanders believed to be Turks back then, attacked Iceland, including Grindavík, and took... more travel advice
Regina1965's Related Pages
Grindavík Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Grindavík - The Blue lagoon."
- "Blaa Lonid"
- "Grindavik, Iceland"
- "An entry in it's own right!"
- "Jumping Around Grindavik - Blue Lagoon!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grindavík
- Hotels in Grindavík
- Restaurants in Grindavík
- Shopping in Grindavík
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grindavík
- 3 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Grindavík?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grindavík
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Driving Toyota Yaris in South..."
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Grindavík travel pages
- Wrote a Review Tyrkjaránið - The Turkish abduction. in Grindavík Things to Do
- updated a Grindavík Travel Page "Grindavík - The Blue lagoon."
- Uploaded a Photo to "A lava cave."
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 241 reviews, 1177 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 196 reviews, 1043 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 209 reviews, 845 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 43 reviews, 311 photos, 4 travelogues
- North Iceland Intro, 53 reviews, 260 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Intro, 44 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues