"Hólar bishopric in Hjaltadalur valley." Hjaltadalur by Regina1965
Hjaltadalur Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 48 photos
Hólar in Hjaltadalur is such a special place in Iceland and one of the best known historical sites here and is very dear to us Icelanders. To me it is one of the most special places in Iceland :D And very welcoming, the sign by the road says "Velkomin heim að Hólum" or Welcome home to Hólar :)
For ca 700 years Hólar used to be the capital of the north until Akureyri got that title. From 1106-1801 Hólar was the one of 2 bishopric in Iceland - The Northern bishopric and the educational capital of the north. The Agricultural school at Hólar has been operating since 1881. And there has been a University at Hólar since 2003.
The population of Hólar is ca 100 people but in the winter-time ca 200. The University specializes in horse-breeding and horse-riding, fish-farming and fish-biology, and tourism. There are a lot of student housing at Hólar.
What you can see at Hólar is Hólakirkja Cathedral from 1763, Nýibær turf-house from 1854 and Auðun's log-house. And there are concerts in the Cathedral on every Sunday at 14:00.
And there are lovely walks here and a lot of things to see. One of the walk takes you up the mountain to Gvendarskál, where Guðmundur góði Arason, who was bishop at Hólar in 1203-1237, used to go and pray. On the top of the mountain is an altar and a guestbook. I walked up to the mountain, but didn't get to the altar. It is a relatively easy walk but when you reach the top it gets rocky and on the top it is rocky and a relatively long walk to the altar.
At Hólar there are lovely small houses for rent, I stayed there 2 nights, see my tip under accommodation here. And again for 1 night in the same cottage in 2013. There is also a good camp-site in the woods.
The Hólar bishopric spans from Hrútafjörður down to Djúpivogur with more than 100 churches and parishes.
- In a nutshell:One of the best known historical places in Iceland.
At Hólar there is both an exhibition on archaeology and the bishops at Hólar. The walls of the gymnasium are covered... more travel advice
There has been escavation work at Hólar for the past few years and over 40.000 artefacts have been found here. You can... more travel advice
Regina1965's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Hjaltadalur
- 10 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Hjaltadalur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hjaltadalur
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: 3-day Iceland Itinerary,..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "The History of the Bishops at Hólar -exhibition"
- Wrote a Review The History of the Bishops at Hólar -exhibition in Hjaltadalur Things to Do
- updated a Hjaltadalur Travel Page "Hólar bishopric in Hjaltadalur valley."
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Hjaltadalur tips
Photos in HjaltadalurSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 261 reviews, 1281 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 238 reviews, 1267 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 187 reviews, 713 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 39 reviews, 278 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Iceland Intro, 46 reviews, 237 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Western Fjords Intro, 38 reviews, 214 photos, 4 travelogues