"Hólar bishopric in Hjaltadalur valley." Hjaltadalur by Regina1965
Hjaltadalur Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 43 photos
Hólar in Hjaltadalur is such a special place in Iceland and one of the best known historical sites here and is very dear to us Icelanders. To me it is one of the most special places in Iceland :D And very welcoming, the sign by the road says "Velkomin heim að Hólum" or Welcome home to Hólar :)
For ca 700 years Hólar used to be the capital of the north until Akureyri got that title. From 1106-1801 Hólar was the one of 2 bishopric in Iceland - The Northern bishopric and the educational capital of the north. The University at Hólar has been operating since 1882.
What you can see at Hólar is Hólakirkja Cathedral from 1763, Nýibær turf-house from 1854 and Auðun's log-house. And there are concerts in the Cathedral on every Sunday at 14:00.
And there are lovely walks here and a lot of things to see. One of the walk takes you up the mountain to Gvendarskál, where Guðmundur góði Arason, who was bishop at Hólar in 1203-1237, used to go and pray. On the top of the mountain is an altar and a guestbook. I walked up to the mountain, but didn't get to the altar. It is a relatively easy walk but when you reach the top it gets rocky and on the top it is rocky and a relatively long walk to the altar.
At Hólar there are lovely small houses for rent, I stayed there 2 nights, see my tip under accommodation here. And again for 1 night in the same cottage in 2013. There is also a good campsite in the woods.
The population of Hólar is ca 100 people but in the winter-time ca 200. The University specializes in horse-breeding og horse-riding, fish-farming and fish-biology, and tourism. There are a lot of student housing at Hólar.
- In a nutshell:One of the best known historical places in Iceland.
The church tower at Hólar is what makes Hólar so destinct in my eyes. It is a memorial for Jón Arason, the last... more travel advice
Gvendarbrunnur is a well named after Guðmundur góði Arason, Gvendur is a nick name for Guðmundur. There is one well... more travel advice
Regina1965's Related Pages
Hjaltadalur Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Hjaltadalur
- 9 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Hjaltadalur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hjaltadalur
Photos in HjaltadalurSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 234 reviews, 1140 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 178 reviews, 950 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 190 reviews, 750 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 41 reviews, 301 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Intro, 38 reviews, 194 photos, 3 travelogues
- North Iceland Intro, 33 reviews, 160 photos