"THE MÝVATN - AREA." Top 5 Page for this destination Mÿvatn by Regina1965
Mÿvatn Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 357 photos
Now this area in Iceland is absolutely amazing and should not be missed while visiting the country. The Mývatn area is called Mývatnssveit, but we Icelanders always refer to it as going to Mývatn.
In Mývatn you can see awesome mud pools by Mt. Nàmafjall and visit Hells kitchen. Hike in the mud pool area of Leirhnjukur by the Krafla volcano. Walk by a crater filled with water, called Viti or Hell. Walk on pseudo craters by Skutustadagigar, see beautiful lava pillars by Lake Mývatn. Walk through amazing lava formations in Dimmuborgir - Dark Fortress, bathe in the geothermal lagoon called The Blue lagoon of the North. See the place where the lava flood stopped right by a church. Camp in a lava field, hike on Mt. Hverfjall and many, many more things.
A highly recommended area to visit while in Iceland.
There are 2 amazing mud pool areas in Mývatn.
Námafjall is on ring-road one just by the road in the Krafla and Mývatn area in N-Iceland. It is a high-temperature geothermal area with fumaroles and boiling mud pools. As is characteristic for other hot spring areas there is a hot spring smell at Námafjall which is caused by the steam and the fumarole gas, such as hydrogen sulfide. The sulphur fumes can overwhelm you at times there, especially when the wind is strong. Try to stay up wind as this can be toxic and can give you a bad headache and nausea. This area in Námaskarð has often been called "eldhús djöfulsins" or "Hell's (The Devil's) kitchen" because of the sulphur smell and the boiling mud pools all around you. You will understand this comparison when visiting this place.
Námafjall is located by ring-road one just behind Mývatn. Right on the other side of Námafjall is the Blue lagoon of the north. This is an extremely volcanic area with Mt. Krafla just a few kilometres away where the last volcanic eruption took place in 1984.
There is another mud pool area at Mývatn called Leirhnjúkur area, which is really like stepping into another world, there are big contrasts and a lot of colours. There are several walking-paths in the Leirhnjúkur area and you feel like you might be walking on the moon or in another world. Stay on the paths as it is bubbling and boiling all around you and the area beneath is extremely hot and dangerous. As you walk in the Leirhnjúkur area you encounter boiling mud-pots, lava formations, hot-springs inside the lava, extraordinary colourful hills and mountains. Here is socalled Gjástykki, where the tectonic plates drifted apart with the volcanic eruption in the middle, so on one side there is America and on one side there is Europe. But here there is new lava, not like in Þingvellir national park where you can also see the tectonic plates.
Here is a driving range for astronauts going to Mars, pretty much like Askja was chosen as a driving range in 1967 for astronauts going to the Moon .
Lake Mývatn is Iceland's 4th largest lake and was created in a basaltic lava eruption 2300 years ago and the surrounding landscape in the Mývatn area is extraordinary.
There are so many wonderful lava formations in this area, including the lava pillars by and in Lake Mývatn.
There is a very diverse waterbird-live here, including at least 15 species of ducks, and nowhere else on earth are there as many duck-species than in Mývatn
- Pros:Absolutely amazing.
I accidentally put this tip under things to do - but this is a warnings and dangers tip. There are many mud-pools and... more travel advice
Now this is a strange looking mountain. It looks like something you might encounter on the moon, as it were. It looks... more travel advice
Regina1965's Related Pages
Mÿvatn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE MÝVATN - AREA."
- "Myvatn: the meeting between water and fire."
- "Mývatn - Literally a hotspot"
- "Jumping Around Myvatn!"
- "Námafjall - boiling mud pools - more photos."
- "stunning and breathtaking!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mÿvatn
- Hotels in Mÿvatn
- Transportation in Mÿvatn
- Restaurants in Mÿvatn
- Warnings and Dangers in Mÿvatn
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mÿvatn
- 19 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Mÿvatn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mÿvatn
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Booking accommodation"
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Mÿvatn tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mt. Krafla caldera - Stóra-Víti (Big hell)."
- updated a Mÿvatn Travel Page "THE MÝVATN - AREA."
- Wrote a Review Beware of the mud pools and sulphur poisoning in Mÿvatn Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 230 reviews, 1115 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 164 reviews, 885 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 149 reviews, 821 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 178 reviews, 667 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 41 reviews, 301 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Intro, 35 reviews, 179 photos, 3 travelogues
- North Iceland Intro, 32 reviews, 155 photos