"Reykjavík - my home town." Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík by Regina1965
Reykjavík Travel Guide: 945 reviews and 3,163 photos
Reykjavík is my home-town and the northernmost capital city in the world. It is called Reykjavík (Smoky Bay) as the first Norwegian settler, Ingólfur Arnarson, who arrived here in 874, saw the smoke coming from hot springs in this area and thus the name.
In Iceland there are ca 325.620 inhabitants and ca 119.764 (2012) of us live in Reykjavík and 205.470 in the whole Great Reykjavík area. As the city is expanding one cannot really see where Reykjavík ends and other neighbouring towns begin, so we have started calling this area The Reykjavík Capital area or the Great Reykjavík area.
The other towns are Seltjarnarnes (ca 4.322 inhabitants), Mosfellsbær (ca 8.978), Kjalarnes, Kópavogur (ca 31.726), Garðabær (ca 13.872), Álftanes (ca 2.419) and Hafnarfjörður (ca 26.808) and are linked together by one bus-system which is called Strætó . When adding my tips on these neighbouring towns I add them here under Reykjavík (apart from Hafnarfjörður which deserves its own page).
I live in the suburb of Reykjavík, which is called Grafarvogur.
The official website for Reykjavík is Reykjavík and the official tourist website is Visit Reykjavík and Iceland review is also a good website on Reykjavík.
This is the view of Western-Reykjavík from Perlan (see my tips on Perlan), in the distances is Hallgrímskirkja, one of the landmarks in Reykjavík, Perlan being the other. I have added some tips on Hallgrímskirkja as well.
The summer in 2010 was the warmest summer ever since thermometry started in 1871. We saw many days with 20 degrees C which was unheard of a when I was younger.
Reyjavík was founded in 1786 and we celebrate its birthday is on the 18th of August.
We are surrounded by the Atlantic-ocean and mountains, Esjan is our most known mountain (see my tip).
Here are some more useful links on Reykjavík Travelnet and Visitor´s Guide and I have added more links in my tips.
If you want to make a daytrip or more out of Reykjavík then there are several agencies which offer daytrips to interesting sights close to Reykjavík - and some not even that close.
- In a nutshell:Here is where I was born and grew up :)
There are several strange looking statues in Reykjavík and in more places in Iceland. They are all naked, androgynous... more travel advice
When my VT-friend Jonathan Barker came over to Reykjavík for a visit I accompanied him on a free tour of Reykjavík... more travel advice
- See All The Chapel of Holy Barbara.
- See All Grocery stores which are open 24/7
- See All Is this building giving me the finger?
- See All Stag-parties and hen-parties in...
Regina1965's Related Pages
Reykjavík Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Reykjavík - my home town."
- "Reykjavik's Peculiar Charm"
- "The Land of Fire and Ice"
- "Reykjavik - Northern Gem"
- "A Quick Northern Jaunt"
- "Quirky City !"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Reykjavík
- Hotels in Reykjavík
- Transportation in Reykjavík
- Nightlife in Reykjavík
- Restaurants in Reykjavík
- Shopping in Reykjavík
- Warnings and Dangers in Reykjavík
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Reykjavík
- 243 Reviews
- 1,171 Photos
- 73 Forum posts
- 74 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Reykjavík?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Reykjavík
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: VT spreads further.....to..."
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Reykjavík tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Saga Museum."
- Wrote a Review The bold, naked statues. in Reykjavík Things to Do
- updated a Reykjavík Travel Page "Reykjavík - my home town."
- Uploaded a Video to Reykjavík
Photos in ReykjavíkSee All Photos (1171)
Videos in ReykjavíkSee All Videos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 243 reviews, 1187 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 207 reviews, 1122 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 216 reviews, 879 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- North Iceland Intro, 64 reviews, 312 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 44 reviews, 316 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Intro, 45 reviews, 228 photos, 3 travelogues