"Reykjavík - my home town." Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík by Regina1965
Reykjavík Travel Guide: 1,259 reviews and 4,140 photos
Reykjavík is my home-town and the northernmost capital city in the world. It is called Reykjavík (Smoky Bay) as the first Norwegian settler, Ingólfur Arnarson, who arrived here in 874, saw the smoke coming from hot springs in this area and thus the name.
In Iceland there are ca 330.625 inhabitants (give or take a few) and ca 212.000 of us live in the whole Great Reykjavík area. As the city is expanding one cannot really see where Reykjavík ends and other neighbouring towns begin, so we have started calling this area the Reykjavík Capital area or the Great Reykjavík area.
The other towns are Seltjarnarnes (ca 4.322 inhabitants), Mosfellsbćr (ca 8.978), Kjalarnes, Kópavogur (ca 31.726), Garđabćr (ca 13.872), Álftanes (ca 2.419) and Hafnarfjörđur (ca 26.808) and are linked together by one bus-system which is called Strćtó . When adding my tips on these neighbouring towns I add them here under Reykjavík (apart from Hafnarfjörđur which deserves its own page).
I live in 108 Reykjavík, which is very central.
The official website for Reykjavík is Reykjavík and the official tourist website is Visit Reykjavík.
If you want to go on guided tours around Reykjavík or from Reykjavík, then check out Guide to Iceland, which is the biggest platform of travel services in Iceland, with the largest selection of tours in Iceland and a best price guarantee. There you can find almost everything there is to do in Iceland, plus the cheapest car rentals etc.
The most popular tour from Reykjavík is the Golden Circle afternoon tour.
The second most popular tour from Reykjavík is the the Blue lagoon and Golden Circle tour.
And the most popular tour overall is the winter tour the Cave Tour by Vatnajökull glacier.
And if you want to go on a guided tour of Reykjavík then there are a couple of guided tours around Reykjavík.
This is the view of Western-Reykjavík from Perlan (see my tips on Perlan), in the distances is Hallgrímskirkja, one of the landmarks in Reykjavík, Perlan being the other. I have added some tips on Hallgrímskirkja as well.
The summer in 2010 was the warmest summer ever since thermometry started in 1871. We saw many days with 20 degrees C which was unheard of a when I was younger.
Reyjavík was founded in 1786 and we celebrate its birthday is on the 18th of August.
We are surrounded by the Atlantic-ocean and mountains, Esjan is our most known mountain (see my tip).
If you want to make a daytrip or more out of Reykjavík then there are several agencies which offer daytrips to interesting sights close to Reykjavík - and some not even that close. You can find all these tours on Guide to Iceland.
- In a nutshell:Here is where I was born and grew up :)
I joined a VT-friend Nyperose (Ellen) who was travelling alone to Iceland, on a guided tour of the Greater Reykjavík... more travel advice
In 1915 there was a big fire in Reykjavík called "Bruninn mikli áriđ 1915" or the Great Fire of Reykjavík on the 25th of... more travel advice
- See All Buy Christmas stuff all year round.
- See All The love padlocks - ever so annoying.
- See All A fun upscale hamburger place
- See All Beneath the Sun of Peace and Settlement...
Regina1965's Related Pages
Reykjavík Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Reykjavík - my home town."
- "REYKJAVIK, THE CAPITAL IN THE FAR NORTH"
- "Reykjavik's Peculiar Charm"
- "The Land of Fire and Ice"
- "Iceland - Over the Pole"
- "Reykjavik - Northern Gem"
- "A Quick Northern Jaunt"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Reykjavík
- Hotels in Reykjavík
- Transportation in Reykjavík
- Nightlife in Reykjavík
- Restaurants in Reykjavík
- Shopping in Reykjavík
- Warnings and Dangers in Reykjavík
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Reykjavík
- 263 Reviews
- 1,272 Photos
- 92 Forum posts
- 85 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Reykjavík?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Reykjavík
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Kortabok Atlas Benefits?"
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Reykjavík travel pages
- updated a Reykjavík Travelogue "17TH OF JUNE - OUR NATIONAL HOLIDAY."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Árbćjarsafn museum - Christmas opening."
- Wrote a Review The Greater Reykjavík area sightseeing tour in Reykjavík Things to Do
- Uploaded a Video to Reykjavík
Photos in ReykjavíkSee All Photos (1272)
Videos in ReykjavíkSee All Videos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 258 reviews, 1388 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 263 reviews, 1292 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 205 reviews, 797 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 46 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Iceland Intro, 46 reviews, 237 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snćfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Intro, 43 reviews, 220 photos, 3 travelogues