"Reykjavík - my home town." Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík by Regina1965

Reykjavík Travel Guide: 1,259 reviews and 4,141 photos

Reykjavík - my home town.

Reykjavík is my home-town and the northernmost capital city in the world. It is called Reykjavík (Smoky Bay) as the first Norwegian settler, Ingólfur Arnarson, who arrived here in 874, saw the smoke coming from hot springs in this area and thus the name.

In Iceland there are ca 330.625 inhabitants (give or take a few) and ca 212.000 of us live in the whole Great Reykjavík area. As the city is expanding one cannot really see where Reykjavík ends and other neighbouring towns begin, so we have started calling this area the Reykjavík Capital area or the Great Reykjavík area.

The other towns are Seltjarnarnes (ca 4.322 inhabitants), Mosfellsbćr (ca 8.978), Kjalarnes, Kópavogur (ca 31.726), Garđabćr (ca 13.872), Álftanes (ca 2.419) and Hafnarfjörđur (ca 26.808) and are linked together by one bus-system which is called Strćtó . When adding my tips on these neighbouring towns I add them here under Reykjavík (apart from Hafnarfjörđur which deserves its own page).

I live in 108 Reykjavík, which is very central.

The official website for Reykjavík is Reykjavík and the official tourist website is Visit Reykjavík.

If you want to go on guided tours around Reykjavík or from Reykjavík, then check out Guide to Iceland, which is the biggest platform of travel services in Iceland, with the largest selection of tours in Iceland and a best price guarantee. There you can find almost everything there is to do in Iceland, plus the cheapest car rentals etc.

The most popular tour from Reykjavík is the Golden Circle afternoon tour.

The second most popular tour from Reykjavík is the the Blue lagoon and Golden Circle tour.

And the most popular tour overall is the winter tour the Cave Tour by Vatnajökull glacier.

And if you want to go on a guided tour of Reykjavík then there are a couple of guided tours around Reykjavík.

Reykjavík - the city center.

This is the view of Western-Reykjavík from Perlan (see my tips on Perlan), in the distances is Hallgrímskirkja, one of the landmarks in Reykjavík, Perlan being the other. I have added some tips on Hallgrímskirkja as well.

The summer in 2010 was the warmest summer ever since thermometry started in 1871. We saw many days with 20 degrees C which was unheard of a when I was younger.

Reyjavík was founded in 1786 and we celebrate its birthday is on the 18th of August.

Reykjavík - Esjan.

We are surrounded by the Atlantic-ocean and mountains, Esjan is our most known mountain (see my tip).

If you want to make a daytrip or more out of Reykjavík then there are several agencies which offer daytrips to interesting sights close to Reykjavík - and some not even that close. You can find all these tours on Guide to Iceland.

• In a nutshell:Here is where I was born and grew up :)
  • Intro Updated Jul 31, 2015

• May 31, 2016 at 6:41 AM

Hello Regina - My Husband and I are planning to visit in October. We were planning on having Reykjavik as our base for different tours, however we'd like to see Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon which would make for a very long and rushed day. Where do you recommend we stay for a couple of nights that would put us closer to that area and also see other sites? Your website is a great resource! Thank you for your help.

• May 31, 2016 at 6:13 PM

Thank you so much for your advice and quick response! Thank you for the link to your Guide to Iceland. I look forward to reading it and most especially to visiting your country. Thank you again your help - I appreciate it very much!

Jun 1, 2016 at 2:49 AM

You are very welcome :)

• wabat's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2016 at 3:14 AM

I have greatly enjoyed the first 20 of your things to do here and look forward to returning for more. I am bowled over by the main picture on this page. It's amazing.

May 17, 2016 at 5:57 PM

Thank you, Albert, for visiting my Reykjavík page and for your lovely comments and ratings - very much appreciated :)

• wabat's Profile Photo
      May 18, 2016 at 5:28 AM

My pleasure.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2016 at 1:15 PM

You have certainly done a lot updating since I last looked at this fine page. Good work!

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2016 at 3:38 AM

if i cannot get to visit Reykjavík or Iceland personally, this is a good a reason to do so virtually, plus wish your many more celebrations and travels in the years ahead - Happy Birthday ! ;-)))

Mar 24, 2016 at 4:40 AM

Thank you, Ken - I hope you will be able to visit Iceland one day, but in the meantime a virtual tour is what I can offer :) It is always on my agenda to visit my friends in Ottawa, hopefully soon!

• sheriK9's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2016 at 3:40 PM

regina, can you help me figure out what kind of electrical adapter i need? i am only planning on charging my phone and tablet...no other appliances, and i do not need a converter. we are also going on to denmark and a site i am looking at is showing a different sort of adapter plug than one that i could use in iceland. i am getting more confused the more i search for an adapter. can you please help me out? thank you...

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2015 at 11:32 AM

Love the blueish-purple cubes :-)

• Oleg_D.'s Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2015 at 2:14 PM

You added new good tips! Thanks!

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2015 at 9:26 PM

It's really good that you have a sculpture garden dedicated to women artists. We don't really have a sculpture garden at all anywhere in our city.

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:16 AM

I love sculpture gardens and "Perlufestin" was just opened last summer. The one I like the most is by the museum of Einar Jónsson and I sit there often in summer time.

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2015 at 8:45 PM

I am thinking of a trip to iceland next summer and, I'll sure come back to finish reading your page to define my plan.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2014 at 12:46 AM

Lots of great shopping tips to help people visiting Reykjavik

Regina1965

“Bon Voyage :)”

Badges & Stats in Reykjavík

• 1,272 Photos

Have you been to Reykjavík?

Videos in Reykjavík