"Reykjavík - my home town." Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík by Regina1965

Reykjavík Travel Guide: 945 reviews and 3,163 photos

Reykjavík - my home town.

Reykjavík is my home-town and the northernmost capital city in the world. It is called Reykjavík (Smoky Bay) as the first Norwegian settler, Ingólfur Arnarson, who arrived here in 874, saw the smoke coming from hot springs in this area and thus the name.

In Iceland there are ca 325.620 inhabitants and ca 119.764 (2012) of us live in Reykjavík and 205.470 in the whole Great Reykjavík area. As the city is expanding one cannot really see where Reykjavík ends and other neighbouring towns begin, so we have started calling this area The Reykjavík Capital area or the Great Reykjavík area.

The other towns are Seltjarnarnes (ca 4.322 inhabitants), Mosfellsbær (ca 8.978), Kjalarnes, Kópavogur (ca 31.726), Garðabær (ca 13.872), Álftanes (ca 2.419) and Hafnarfjörður (ca 26.808) and are linked together by one bus-system which is called Strætó . When adding my tips on these neighbouring towns I add them here under Reykjavík (apart from Hafnarfjörður which deserves its own page).

I live in the suburb of Reykjavík, which is called Grafarvogur.

The official website for Reykjavík is Reykjavík and the official tourist website is Visit Reykjavík and Iceland review is also a good website on Reykjavík.

Reykjavík - the city center.

This is the view of Western-Reykjavík from Perlan (see my tips on Perlan), in the distances is Hallgrímskirkja, one of the landmarks in Reykjavík, Perlan being the other. I have added some tips on Hallgrímskirkja as well.

The summer in 2010 was the warmest summer ever since thermometry started in 1871. We saw many days with 20 degrees C which was unheard of a when I was younger.

Reyjavík was founded in 1786 and we celebrate its birthday is on the 18th of August.

Reykjavík - Esjan.

We are surrounded by the Atlantic-ocean and mountains, Esjan is our most known mountain (see my tip).

Here are some more useful links on Reykjavík Travelnet and Visitor´s Guide and I have added more links in my tips.

If you want to make a daytrip or more out of Reykjavík then there are several agencies which offer daytrips to interesting sights close to Reykjavík - and some not even that close.

• In a nutshell:Here is where I was born and grew up :)
  • Intro Updated Apr 7, 2014

Regina1965 Lives Here!

Regina1965

“Bon Voyage :)”

Badges & Stats in Reykjavík

• 1,171 Photos

Have you been to Reykjavík?

Latest Activity in Reykjavík