"Skaftafell" Top 5 Page for this destination Skaftafell by Regina1965
Skaftafell Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 171 photos
Skaftafell used to be a National park in South-Iceland, which is 4.807 km2 and a true oasis after driving through the vast sands of Skeiðará "Skeiðarársandur" and the first stop after the drive through the sands. Skaftafell now belongs to Vatnajökulsþjóðgarður National park.
Skaftafell is one of my favourite places in Iceland, it is quite amazing finding such a place in this barren landscape. There is a Visitor center in Skaftafell, a camping place and lovely walks (see below).
There is such a beautiful columnar basalt waterfall in Skaftafell, called Svartifoss, or the Black falls. It is only a short hike from the Visitor center. The Visitor center is located just off ring-road 1. The hike, back and forth, in a circle, is only just 1,5 hours and an easy walk in summer time and so worth it (see my tip).
From the Visitor Centre at Skaftafell there is an hour's easy hike back and forth to the glacier. Dress warmly as the temperature drops when you get close to the glacier. Don't get too close though and never go on the glacier unaccompanied.
There are guided tours on the glacier Glacier Hiking Walking Tour from Skaftafell.
- In a nutshell:An absolutely breathtaking oasis.
If there is frost here in winter time everything will freeze solid. On my way to see Skaftafellsjökull glacier I... more travel advice
There is an Information Centre at Skaftafell called Skaftafellsstofa or Skaftafell Visitor Centre. It is open all year... more travel advice
Regina1965's Related Pages
Skaftafell Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Skaftafell National Park"
- "The Handsome Looking Svartifoss !"
- "National Park"
- "Vatnajokull - close and personal"
- "Skaftafell a cool place to be"
- "Reaching the top of Iceland"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Skaftafell
- 7 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Skaftafell?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Skaftafell
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Landmannalaugar Day Hike"
- updated a Skaftafell Travel Page "Skaftafell"
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Skaftafell tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Skaftafell Visitor Centre."
- Wrote a Review Everything is frozen solid. in Skaftafell Things to Do
- Uploaded a Video to Skaftafell
Photos in SkaftafellSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 261 reviews, 1281 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 238 reviews, 1267 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 187 reviews, 713 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 39 reviews, 278 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Iceland Intro, 46 reviews, 237 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Western Fjords Intro, 38 reviews, 214 photos, 4 travelogues