"STOKKSEYRI - MUSEUM TOWN IN SOUTH ICELAND" Stokkseyri by Regina1965
Stokkseyri Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 52 photos
Stokkseyri is one of the small towns in South-Iceland and is the town here in Iceland called the museum town due to many of its interesting museums. The town next to Stokkseyri is Eyrarbakki, they are only 7 km apart, and jokingly these towns are often referred to by Icelanders as "Stokkseyrarbakki" as we cannot be bothered to say that we are going to Stokkseyri and Eyrarbakki ;)
Stokkseyri is a small town with ca 488 inhabitans, but a lot of activities, surprisingly so for such a small town. There is a very good restaurant there (see my tip on that) and people come especially there from Reykjavík (65 km) to get the lobster-soup and visit the museums. There is the "must-see" Icelandic Wonders museum, with its elves, trolls and Northern lights (see my tip). There is also a Ghost museum (see my tip) in the same building and art galleries and art studios, where one can buy handmade Icelandic craft.
At Stokkseyri there is also "Veiðisafnið" or The Hunting museum and is the only place in Iceland where you can see a giraffe :D (see my tip).
There is "Töfragarðurinn" at Stokkseyri The Magic garden (see my tip). There are so many things to do in this small town. Plus there are organised Kayak tours, both on lakes, in the swamps and in the ocean.
The seashore is very popular as well with lovely little conches and brick-read sands.
There is an old fisherman´s hut in Stokkseyri (see my tips). This town is just so worth a visit!
Directions: Coming from Eyrarbakki on road 34 turn right on road 33 for Stokkseyri right after the prison there. If coming from Selfoss on road 34 turn left for Stokkseyri on road 33. There are only 10 km from Selfoss to Stokkseyri.
Address: 825 Stokkseyri, South-Iceland
Other Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In a nutshell:A lovely little town with a lot of museums and things to see and do.
The Hunting museum in Stokkseyri (Veiðisafnið) is fantastic, much more than one expects. That in the small town of... more travel advice
The Icelandic Wonders museum is really a "must-see" while visiting Stokkseyri. Its theme is so integrated with the... more travel advice
Regina1965's Related Pages
Stokkseyri Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Stokkseyri
- 7 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Stokkseyri?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stokkseyri
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Finding cheap flights to..."
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Stokkseyri travel pages
- updated a Stokkseyri Travel Page "STOKKSEYRI - MUSEUM TOWN IN SOUTH ICELAND"
- Uploaded a Photo to "STOKKSEYRI - MORE PHOTOS OF THE TOWN."
- Wrote a Review The Hunting museum - A giraffe in Iceland! in Stokkseyri Things to Do
Photos in StokkseyriSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 234 reviews, 1140 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 178 reviews, 950 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 185 reviews, 725 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 41 reviews, 301 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Intro, 38 reviews, 194 photos, 3 travelogues
- North Iceland Intro, 33 reviews, 160 photos