"STOKKSEYRI - MUSEUM TOWN IN SOUTH ICELAND" Stokkseyri by Regina1965
Stokkseyri Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 52 photos
Stokkseyri is one of the small towns in South-Iceland and is the town here in Iceland called the museum town due to many of its interesting museums. The town next to Stokkseyri is Eyrarbakki, they are only 7 km apart, and jokingly these towns are often referred to by Icelanders as "Stokkseyrarbakki" as we cannot be bothered to say that we are going to Stokkseyri and Eyrarbakki ;)
Stokkseyri is a small town with ca 488 inhabitans, but a lot of activities, surprisingly so for such a small town. There is a very good restaurant here and people come especially there from Reykjavík (65 km) to get the lobster-soup and visit the museums. There is the "must-see" Icelandic Wonders Museum, with its elves, trolls and Northern lights . There is also a Ghost Museum in the same building and art galleries and art studios, where one can buy handmade Icelandic craft.
At Stokkseyri there is also "Veiðisafnið" or The Hunting museum and is the only place in Iceland where you can see a giraffe :D
There are organised Kayak tours, both on lakes, in the swamps and in the ocean.
The seashore is very popular as well with lovely little conches and brick-read sands.
There is an old fisherman´s hut in Stokkseyri. This town is just so worth a visit!
Directions: Coming from Eyrarbakki on road 34 turn right on road 33 for Stokkseyri right after the prison there. If coming from Selfoss on road 34 turn left for Stokkseyri on road 33. There are only 10 km from Selfoss to Stokkseyri.
Address: 825 Stokkseyri, South-Iceland
Other Contact: email@example.com
- In a nutshell:A lovely little town with a lot of museums and things to see and do.
The Hunting museum in Stokkseyri (Veiðisafnið) is fantastic, much more than one expects. That in the small town of... more travel advice
The Icelandic Wonders museum is really a "must-see" while visiting Stokkseyri. Its theme is so integrated with the... more travel advice
Regina1965's Related Pages
Stokkseyri Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Stokkseyri
- 7 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Stokkseyri?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stokkseyri
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Samsung Lenses or Adapter +..."
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Stokkseyri tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Hunting museum - A giraffe in Iceland!"
- updated a Stokkseyri Travel Page "STOKKSEYRI - MUSEUM TOWN IN SOUTH ICELAND"
- Wrote a Review The Hunting museum - A giraffe in Iceland! in Stokkseyri Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 244 reviews, 1207 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 208 reviews, 1127 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 218 reviews, 889 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- North Iceland Intro, 84 reviews, 408 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 44 reviews, 316 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Intro, 45 reviews, 228 photos, 3 travelogues