"Stykkishólmur - Capital of Snæfellsnes peninsula." Stykkishólmur by Regina1965
Stykkishólmur Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 84 photos
Stykkishólmur is the largest town on the Snæfellsnes peninsula and is the capital of Snæfellsnes peninsula. The population is ca 1.108. It is the center for trade, service and transport in this area. Some of the houses in Stykkishólmur were owned by Danish traders and every year in August there is a Danish festival in Stykkishólmur. The town-people have put their pride into preserving the old houses and done a great job and walking in the center of town is like walking in another era. The oldest house in Stykkishólmur is the Norwegian house which is now the local folk museum (see my tip on that). In 2011 Stykkishólmur received the EDEN award with the words that Stykkishómur were "a fascinating town" :)
There is a good swimming pool in Stykkishólmur and various accomodation options.
When I visit Stykkishólmur I always go to a special place by the shore and collect some scallop shells, being wild about shells. It is behind the scallop factory.
Stykkishólmur is surrounded by the beautiful Breiðafjarðareyjar, The islands of Breiðafjörður, of which there are ca 2.700 small islands. By the harbour stands Súgandisey and shelters the town from the northern wind. You can walk to the island and have a better look at the small islands and the town (see my tip on that).
There are various boat-tours from the harbour, including the popular "Seatours" boat ride which takes you around the islands on a 2 hour, 15 minutes' sight-seeing and bird-watching tour where you can spot puffins and a myriad of other birds. On this tour you get to taste sea-food fresh out of the sea (see my tip). From the Stykkishólmur harbour leaves the ferry Baldur which takes you across the bay to the West-fjords with a stop-over in Flatey island.
There is also a very special museum on a hill, Vatnasafn "Library of water" with glass columns containing glacial water gathered from around Iceland (see my tip on that).
I have made a special page on Snæfellsnes peninsula with more tips on this beautiful peninsula, which is one of my favourite places here in Iceland.
The islands are thought to be countless or ca 2.500. And it is believed that 25% of all the shore-line in island is here... more travel advice
Next to Dímonarklakkar by Öxney island is Eiríksvogur bay, where Erik the Red (Eiríkur rauði), hid and prepared his ship... more travel advice
Regina1965's Related Pages
Stykkishólmur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stykkishólmur - Capital of Snæfellsnes peninsula."
- "One night on the Breidhafjord"
- "Sharrie's Stykkisholmur Birdwatching"
- "Capital of north Snaefellsnes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stykkishólmur
- Hotels in Stykkishólmur
- Restaurants in Stykkishólmur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stykkishólmur
- 12 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Stykkishólmur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stykkishólmur
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Finding cheap flights to..."
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Stykkishólmur tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bird life in Breiðafjarðareyjar islands."
- updated a Stykkishólmur Travel Page "Stykkishólmur - Capital of Snæfellsnes peninsula."
- Wrote a Review Bird life in Breiðafjarðareyjar islands. in Stykkishólmur Things to Do
Photos in StykkishólmurSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 234 reviews, 1140 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 178 reviews, 950 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 185 reviews, 725 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 41 reviews, 301 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Intro, 38 reviews, 194 photos, 3 travelogues
- North Iceland Intro, 33 reviews, 160 photos