"Þingvellir National Park." Top 5 Page for this destination Þingvellir by Regina1965
Þingvellir Travel Guide: 63 reviews and 319 photos
On the 10th of July 2009 our beloved hotel at Thingvellir burnt to the ground :(
Þingvellir, our National Park, is situated on the tectonic plate boundaries of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, the American and Eurasian continents, making it a very special tourist attraction and for us Icelanders this is the holiest place in Iceland and one of the places we visit the most. The tectonic plates are actually visible here, in earlier days the rift where the plates meet used to be a lot more shallow, but has sunk more and more over the years and it is said that the Vikings might not even recognise Almannagjá rift anymore.
Þingvellir is the only place in the world which has been recognized by UNESCO as a cultural site connected to the Viking culture.
The oldest parliament in the world was established at Þingvellir in 930 by the Vikings and convened there until 1798. For 2 weeks every summer people from all over Iceland gathered in Þingvellir to attend Alþingi, the parliament. Now the parliament is in the center of Reykjavík.
I have added a tip on Þingvellir on my Iceland page.
Öxará river runs from Öxarárfoss waterfall and is beautiful both during the winter and summer. It runs into Iceland's biggest lake, Þingvallavatn, where one can buy a licence to catch fish. There is also a camping area at Þingvellir. See my tip on Öxarárfoss for more pictures.
It is believed that between 500.000 to 600.000 people visit Þingvellir every year.
Almannagjá is the biggest rift in Þingvellir, but there are rifts all over the place and there is a tradition here in Þingvellir to throw money into "Peningagjá" (peningar=money in Icelandic) and make a wish. The water in Peningagjá is VERY cold, so take care not to fall in. The water is very clear making it a beautiful sight watching the coins sink. There is a myriad of coins in the water. See my tip on Peningagjá for more pictures.
There is Diving and snorkeling in The Silfra rift at Þingvellir, the visibility is 100+ and it is said to be one of the best diving places in the world. So if you fancy diving in between the American and Eurasian continents this is the place to dive. It is the most popular diving are in Iceland and dozens of people go there diving every day. Sadly one tourist died there in June 2010.
- Pros:Beautiful nature and lava formation.
- Cons:No cons, visiting Þingvellir is always a breathtaking experience.
- In a nutshell:Visiting Þingvellir is a must when visiting Iceland.
This tip is about "things not to be done" really. There is a special view-spot on road 36. After driving through a... more travel advice
Close to Þingvellir National park is a lovely little forest called Vinaskógur or Friends forest. It was opened in 1990... more travel advice
Regina1965's Related Pages
Þingvellir Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Þingvellir National Park."
- "Þingvellir National Park"
- "Seamandrew's Þingvellir Page"
- "The Thing at the Big Water"
- "Þingvellir National Park"
- "The First Parlament between Europe and America"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Þingvellir
- Transportation in Þingvellir
- Warnings and Dangers in Þingvellir
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Þingvellir
- 19 Reviews
- 122 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Þingvellir?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Þingvellir
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Samsung Lenses or Adapter +..."
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Þingvellir tips
- Wrote a Review Please don´t make cairns here. in Þingvellir Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Please don´t make cairns here."
- updated a Þingvellir Travel Page "Þingvellir National Park."
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 244 reviews, 1207 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 208 reviews, 1127 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 218 reviews, 889 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- North Iceland Intro, 84 reviews, 408 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 44 reviews, 316 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Intro, 45 reviews, 228 photos, 3 travelogues