"OSLO - NORWAY´S CAPITAL CITY." Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo by Regina1965

Oslo Travel Guide: 2,985 reviews and 7,247 photos

The Akerhus Castle in Oslo.

Oslo is Norway´s capital city. I stayed for 2,5 months in Ski, but went to Oslo almost every day. In 2013 I stayed in Ski for 1,5 months. Oslo is the oldest of the Nordic capitals dating back a 1000 years, back to Viking time. It stands by Oslo fjord and is surrounded by beautiful islands.

In 1536 Norway became a province of Denmark. There was a great fire here in 1624 and the Danish King Christian IV rebuilt the city and called it Christiania. In 1814 the union with Denmark was dissolved and the Norwegian Constitution was signed on May 17th. Norway gained independence in 1905 and Haakon VII was crowned King of Norway. The city changed its name back to Oslo in 1925.

The population of Oslo is ca 600.000 and the most "happening" place in Norway as here the official institutions are located - and of course the King resides in Oslo.

Oslo is now a multicultural city and much bigger than I expected. And it has got so many wonderful museums, so it is difficult to get bored in the city.

There are also beautiful walks by Akerselva river.

Down-town Oslo.

Oslo has got an old part of town, both the oldest one, "The Middle age town", and all the old churches and houses - but also a new modern part of town next to the Oslo S train station. That part looks quite metropolitan.

Oslo is (in 2012) the most expensive city in the world.

Here is the official link for Oslo Visit Oslo

Vigelandsparken - the amazing Vigeland park.

There are so many wonderful parks in Oslo, the biggest one is Vigelandsparken with its myriads of statues - and the famous Monolith.

With all the museums and parks you have got a lot of choices to spend your time in Oslo. And on Bygdöy islands there are a lot of wonderful museum as well and a boat leaving from Aker brygge to the island.

• Cons:Way too many people begging in the streets.
  • Last visit to Oslo: May 2013
  • Intro Updated May 6, 2013

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Wow, what an excellent page! So thorough and informative :-) I think I have now read all your tips, and I have really enjoyed getting to know Oslo better

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Thanks, Sarah, I spent so much time there that I got to know the city quite well. But there are still some museums I didn´t manage to visit, next time for sure :)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2013 at 3:55 AM

You have added lots of fine new tips and updates here in the past few weeks. Besides the new opera house, I think the Nobel Peace Centre and the Development Centre would be high on my list of places to visit.

May 29, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Yes, indeed the Nobel Peace Centre is on the top 5 list of things to visit.

• jojes's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2013 at 7:57 AM

I've been browsing through your Oslo tips for a while ... Looks like a really nice city ...
    We planned on going there a few years ago, but the plans didn't make it ...
    Looks like I'll have to put it on the list again!

May 23, 2013 at 8:17 AM

It is a beautiful city, just came back home after staying in Norway for 1,5 months.

May 16, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Back to see more of Oslo with you :-) I especially enjoyed my walk by the river!

May 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I love the walk by the river, we went there when the ice was melting from the lake above and the river looked like a glacial river, awesome :)

May 6, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Such a thorough page! I will have to come back to enjoy more. I loved all the markets, the hippy areas, the river and the other older parts especially :-)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Wet here today, so a good day to enjoy more of your excellent Oslo page! Wished I could have seen the Botanic Gardens, they look marvellous! As for the Fort, we didn't have time to see the inside, so now I have through your photo's.

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Thanks, Dee, I had a lot of time there, 2,5 months, so I was able to visit almost everything.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Interesting and enjoyable, will return.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2013 at 7:54 AM

I can see why you spent so much time visiting this city! There's so much to see and do that I will have to pay another visit to this page! Good work!

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Thanks, yes, there is a lot to do there - a whole lot of museums f.ex.

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Did you say Oslo was not a popular page of yours...WonderfulTop5 page...I must have been mistaken.
    M

• nyperose's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Great Oslo pages! You stayed there 2.5 months and you know all that!!! I am really impressed. I lived 17 years there and I don't know half of it:-) kjempe-flott!

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Haha, thanks, Ellen, I visited it VT-style, so I aimed at seeing as much as I could during that time. And seeing that I was not working then I had plenty of time to explore the city.

Regina1965