"OSLO - NORWAY´S CAPITAL CITY." Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo by Regina1965
Oslo Travel Guide: 2,985 reviews and 7,247 photos
Oslo is Norway´s capital city. I stayed for 2,5 months in Ski, but went to Oslo almost every day. In 2013 I stayed in Ski for 1,5 months. Oslo is the oldest of the Nordic capitals dating back a 1000 years, back to Viking time. It stands by Oslo fjord and is surrounded by beautiful islands.
In 1536 Norway became a province of Denmark. There was a great fire here in 1624 and the Danish King Christian IV rebuilt the city and called it Christiania. In 1814 the union with Denmark was dissolved and the Norwegian Constitution was signed on May 17th. Norway gained independence in 1905 and Haakon VII was crowned King of Norway. The city changed its name back to Oslo in 1925.
The population of Oslo is ca 600.000 and the most "happening" place in Norway as here the official institutions are located - and of course the King resides in Oslo.
Oslo is now a multicultural city and much bigger than I expected. And it has got so many wonderful museums, so it is difficult to get bored in the city.
There are also beautiful walks by Akerselva river.
Oslo has got an old part of town, both the oldest one, "The Middle age town", and all the old churches and houses - but also a new modern part of town next to the Oslo S train station. That part looks quite metropolitan.
Oslo is (in 2012) the most expensive city in the world.
Here is the official link for Oslo Visit Oslo
There are so many wonderful parks in Oslo, the biggest one is Vigelandsparken with its myriads of statues - and the famous Monolith.
With all the museums and parks you have got a lot of choices to spend your time in Oslo. And on Bygdöy islands there are a lot of wonderful museum as well and a boat leaving from Aker brygge to the island.
- Cons:Way too many people begging in the streets.
The Norwegian Customs Museum - Tollmuseet was established in 1915 and is a very interesting museum. It shows the history... more travel advice
One of the rooms at City Hall is so amazing that it deserves an additional tip. It is called the Krogh Room. It took my... more travel advice
- See All Looking for a job in Norway.
- See All Ankerbrua bridge.
- See All Different worship places in Oslo.
- One of my favourite spots in Oslo.
Regina1965's Related Pages
Oslo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "OSLO - NORWAY´S CAPITAL CITY."
- "oslo my home (bomb) town"
- "The fantastic capital of Norway"
- "My Own Private Oslo"
- "Winter Weekend in Oslo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oslo
- Hotels in Oslo
- Transportation in Oslo
- Nightlife in Oslo
- Restaurants in Oslo
- Shopping in Oslo
- Warnings and Dangers in Oslo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oslo
- 154 Reviews
- 846 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Oslo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oslo
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Driving Toyota Yaris in South..."
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Oslo videos
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Norwegian Customs Museum - Tollmuseet."
- Wrote a Review The Norwegian Customs Museum - Tollmuseet. in Oslo Things to Do
- updated a Oslo Travel Page "OSLO - NORWAY´S CAPITAL CITY."
- Uploaded a Video to Oslo
Photos in OsloSee All Photos (846)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 241 reviews, 1177 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 196 reviews, 1043 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 209 reviews, 845 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 43 reviews, 311 photos, 4 travelogues
- North Iceland Intro, 54 reviews, 261 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Intro, 44 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues