"REYKJANES." Reykjanes by Regina1965

Reykjanes Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 242 photos

Reykjanes.

Reykjanes is what we call the south-west toe and heal of Iceland (you will understand that when you see a map of Iceland) and belongs to the Reykjanesskagi peninsula.

In Reykjanesbær there are ca 13.933 inhabitants.

Here is our international airport, Keflavíkurflugvöllur, and the Blue Lagoon, which is the most popular destination here by tourists. My tips on the Blue lagoon are on my Iceland page though. Here also used to be a US-military base until 2006 (see my tip).

The biggest town here is Keflavík and I have made a special page on that lovely town, which I often visit. The towns Keflavík, Outer- and Inner Njarðvík and Hafnir have now merged into one and are called Reykjanesbær communty.

Other towns here are Vogar in Vatnsleysuströnd, Garður, Sandgerði (see my tips on these towns) and Grindavík, on which I have also made a special page. We call these towns Suðurnes.

Reykjanes.

There are so many interesting things to see here and this is an active geothermal areas, with volcanos and a lot of lava (see my tips). Here you can find a hot-spring with a ghost living in it. The Reykjanes peninsula lies on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge and here you can see the ridge above ground and you can find here The Bridge between two continents.

Reykjanes.

There are beautiful rock formations by Valahnjúkur and the shore there is rocky and black lava has flown all the way to the ocean. Just outside the shore there is a pillar of rock called Karl - 51 m high. Valahnjúkur is an amazing place here, not to be missed and here you can also find Reykjanesviti light-house - plus so many other light-houses.

Here is an excellent link on Reykjanes. It is the official travel guide.

• In a nutshell:An amazing place if you love lava and hot-springs.
  • Intro Updated Apr 9, 2014

• Mar 28, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Regina1965 you do w onderful job in depicting your country. Too many guidebooks suggest that life ends in the capital, however you show that many small towns in Iceland have all the urban sophistications of a big city.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
      Mar 28, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Thank you, I love the small towns in Icelands, as each one of them has got its own museum.

• CarlosE's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I've enjoyed the pictures and write-ups on Iceland. I was stationed there for 2 years in the navy back in 1984-1986 at the old NATO base. What ever became of the base? I see the airport is up and running as always. I've travelled all over the world and never had an experience as fun as living in Iceland, only wish I got to see the far east side of the island.

• CarlosE's Profile Photo
      Nov 26, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Yes, I had fun in Iceland, I rented VW Golf cars often and toured much of the western half of the country. I had a few Icelandic friends from work in the Control Tower and I enjoyed the cuisine in Reykavik. I spent several nights at the Saga Hotel, including my wedding night. My wife and I met on the base and married in the court house in Keflavik. Our marriage certificate is in Icelandic. We do plan in four years to celebrate our 30th year together perhaps in Iceland for a week, hopefully at the Saga if it is still there.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
      Nov 27, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Lovely to hear that :D We always thought that you guys were bored here and felt kind of sorry for you for being stuck here. I remember back when you came into Reykjavík once a week and we thought that was it, that the rest of the time you had to stay at the base.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I bought one of those woolen Icelandic sweaters when I was there in 1969 and wore it for many years until it completely fell apart.
    I love that monument with the waves made of stainless steel, but where the figure of the man is made of steel which can rust – a very unique kind of symbolism showing that all men perish, but not the ocean.
    Those planet spheres look similar to the ones on the Weikersheim Planetary Trail (on my Queckbronn page).

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Excellent page! I love all those lava formations and the Blue Lake!

• akkipaa's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Nice, Regina,very nice :).I tried to read very carefully but how about men, should we be aware with our swimming suits? And were a bikini?

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2011 at 1:45 PM

been to Keflavik airport!....even if it was 2am in the morning and didnt see anything except the petrol station at Rejkavik and the security guard and air hostesses at Keflavik!..but what a beautiful country and its great that you are so dedicated to showing your country so well!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2011 at 2:58 AM

Regina, fabulous page with outstanding photos of the south-west toe of Iceland. Besides the very good descriptions of the landscape I like the practical tip about the airport.

• penumbra's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2011 at 6:36 PM

I like the contrast of the bright color with the backgrounds of Sandgerði.

Regina1965

“Bon Voyage :)”

Badges & Stats in Reykjanes

Have you been to Reykjanes?

Latest Activity in Reykjanes