"REYKJANES." Reykjanes by Regina1965
Reykjanes Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 241 photos
Reykjanes is what we call the south-west toe and heal of Iceland (you will understand that when you see a map of Iceland) and belongs to the Reykjanesskagi peninsula.
In Reykjanesbær there are ca 13.933 inhabitants.
Here is our international airport, Keflavíkurflugvöllur, and the Blue Lagoon, which is the most popular destination here by tourists. My tips on the Blue lagoon are on my Iceland page though. Here also used to be a US-military base until 2006 (see my tip).
The biggest town here is Keflavík and I have made a special page on that lovely town, which I often visit. The towns Keflavík, Outer- and Inner Njarðvík and Hafnir have now merged into one and are called Reykjanesbær communty.
Other towns here are Vogar in Vatnsleysuströnd, Garður, Sandgerði (see my tips on these towns) and Grindavík, on which I have also made a special page. We call these towns Suðurnes.
There are so many interesting things to see here and this is an active geothermal areas, with volcanos and a lot of lava (see my tips). Here you can find a hot-spring with a ghost living in it. The Reykjanes peninsula lies on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge and here you can see the ridge above ground and you can find here The Bridge between two continents.
There are beautiful rock formations by Valahnjúkur and the shore there is rocky and black lava has flown all the way to the ocean. Just outside the shore there is a pillar of rock called Karl - 51 m high. Valahnjúkur is an amazing place here, not to be missed and here you can also find Reykjanesviti light-house - plus so many other light-houses.
Here is an excellent link on Reykjanes. It is the official travel guide.
- In a nutshell:An amazing place if you love lava and hot-springs.
Njarðvík town is divided into Ytri-Njarðvík and Innri-Njarðvík or outer and inner Njarðvík. Njarðvík merged with... more travel advice
Just before you reach the main mud pool area in Krýsuvík, coming from the south, on your right hand side there are two... more travel advice
Regina1965's Related Pages
Reykjanes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Reykjanes peninsula"
- "Dark & Barren...Almost !"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Reykjanes
- Restaurants in Reykjanes
- Warnings and Dangers in Reykjanes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Reykjanes
- 31 Reviews
- 151 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Reykjanes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Reykjanes
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 241 reviews, 1177 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 196 reviews, 1043 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 209 reviews, 845 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 43 reviews, 311 photos, 4 travelogues
- North Iceland Intro, 54 reviews, 261 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Intro, 44 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues