"THE WEST-FJORDS OF ICELAND - VESTFIRÐIR." Western Fjords by Regina1965
Western Fjords Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 190 photos
Vestirfirðir the Westjfords of Iceland are in the remotest part of Iceland and during winter time they are not that easily reachable. The heaths close down due to snow and become impassable. So I only travel there in the summer time.
Coming from Hólmavík village and driving in the Westfjords (Vestfirðir) of Iceland, on what we call the head of Iceland, will take you through a long drive of the fjords, back and forth and again back and forth to the mouth of the fjords. You will feel like you are alone in the world when driving in the first fjords. Remember to fill up on gas in Hólmavík village as there is no gas-station until Súðavík village.
The capital city of the West fjords is Isafjordur.
In 2010 I went to a family reunion to the West fjords - to a very remote village here, where my grandmother was born. My tips will show you the drive from Holmavik town through alll the fjords in the nortern parts of the West fjords and towards Nupur and Thingeyri.
This beach is in one of the remotest places in Iceland and here my grandmother was born.
This is an information sign found on top of a hill before you reach Súðavík. We call the West fjords the head of Iceland due to the shape of the island.
The growth industry in the Westfjords is fish-farming. There is salmon farming, arctic char farming, rainbow trout farming, cod farming and mussel farming. The cod and mussel farming is mainly up north on the Westfjords. There are ca 40 trucks on the roads driving 1000 tonnes of fish from the firshfarmers every week
Rauðasandur (Rauðisandur) "Red Sands" beach is a beautifully red beach in a very remote area of Iceland. Most beaches in... more travel advice
Rauðasandur beach is located on the south-west part of the Westfjords in a very remote part of Iceland. The roads in... more travel advice
Regina1965's Related Pages
Western Fjords Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE WEST-FJORDS OF ICELAND - VESTFIRÐIR."
- "Majestic Mountains"
- "The Western Fjords"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Western Fjords
- Hotels in Western Fjords
- Transportation in Western Fjords
- Warnings and Dangers in Western Fjords
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Western Fjords
- 32 Reviews
- 180 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Western Fjords?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Western Fjords
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Snæfellsjökull National Park..."
- updated a Western Fjords Travel Page "THE WEST-FJORDS OF ICELAND - VESTFIRÐIR."
- Wrote a Review Rauðasandur beach. in Western Fjords Things to Do
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Western Fjords tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Pollurinn by Tálknafjörður"
Photos in Western FjordsSee All Photos (180)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 240 reviews, 1172 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 184 reviews, 980 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 203 reviews, 815 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 43 reviews, 311 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- North Iceland Intro, 45 reviews, 212 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Intro, 39 reviews, 200 photos, 3 travelogues