"THE WEST-FJORDS OF ICELAND - VESTFIRÐIR." Western Fjords by Regina1965
Western Fjords Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 219 photos
Vestirfirðir the Westjfords of Iceland are in the remotest part of Iceland and during winter time they are not that easily reachable. The heaths close down due to snow and become impassable. So I only travel there in the summer time.
Coming from Hólmavík village and driving in the Westfjords (Vestfirðir) of Iceland, on what we call the head of Iceland, will take you through a long drive of the fjords, back and forth and again back and forth to the mouth of the fjords. You will feel like you are alone in the world when driving in the first fjords. Remember to fill up on gas in Hólmavík village as there is no gas-station until Súðavík village.
The capital city of the West fjords is Isafjordur.
In 2010 I went to a family reunion to the West fjords - to a very remote village here, where my grandmother was born. My tips will show you the drive from Holmavik town through alll the fjords in the nortern parts of the West fjords and towards Nupur and Thingeyri.
This beach is in one of the remotest places in Iceland and here my grandmother was born.
This is an information sign found on top of a hill before you reach Súðavík. We call the West fjords the head of Iceland due to the shape of the island.
The growth industry in the Westfjords is fish-farming. There is salmon farming, arctic char farming, rainbow trout farming, cod farming and mussel farming. The cod and mussel farming is mainly up north on the Westfjords. There are ca 40 trucks on the roads driving 1000 tonnes of fish from the firshfarmers every week
Krosslaug hot pool is a lovely pool in Barðaströnd in the southern part of the Westfjords. A swimming pool was built... more travel advice
There is a bas-relief (lágmynd) of our beloved our beloved Rev. Matthías Jochumsson (1835-1920), who was a reverend, a... more travel advice
Written Nov 18, 2013
More photos from Álftaland in Reykhólar.
Written Nov 18, 2013
Bjarmaland Guesthouse - additional photos.
Written Dec 12, 2013
Látrabjarg - the largest bird-cliff in Iceland.
Written Mar 15, 2014
View-dials in the West Fjords.
Regina1965's Related Pages
Western Fjords Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE WEST-FJORDS OF ICELAND - VESTFIRÐIR."
- "Majestic Mountains"
- "The Western Fjords"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Western Fjords
- Hotels in Western Fjords
- Transportation in Western Fjords
- Warnings and Dangers in Western Fjords
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Western Fjords
- 37 Reviews
- 209 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Western Fjords?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Western Fjords
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: VT spreads further.....to..."
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Western Fjords travel pages
- Wrote a Review Krosslaug hot pool in Western Fjords Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hagakirkja church in Barðaströnd."
- updated a Western Fjords Travel Page "THE WEST-FJORDS OF ICELAND - VESTFIRÐIR."
Photos in Western FjordsSee All Photos (209)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 243 reviews, 1187 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 207 reviews, 1122 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 216 reviews, 879 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- North Iceland Intro, 64 reviews, 312 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 44 reviews, 316 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Intro, 45 reviews, 228 photos, 3 travelogues