"THE WEST-FJORDS OF ICELAND - VESTFIRÐIR." Western Fjords by Regina1965
Western Fjords Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 224 photos
Vestirfirðir the Westjfords of Iceland are in the remotest part of Iceland and during winter time they are not that easily reachable. The heaths close down due to snow and become impassable. So I only travel there in the summer time.
Coming from Hólmavík village and driving in the Westfjords (Vestfirðir) of Iceland, on what we call the head of Iceland, will take you through a long drive of the northern side of the West fjords, back and forth and again back and forth to the mouth of the fjords. You will feel like you are alone in the world when driving in the first fjords. Remember to fill up on gas in Hólmavík village as there is no gas-station until Súðavík village.
The capital city of the West fjords is Isafjordur.
In 2010 I went to a family reunion to the West fjords - to a very remote village here, where my grandmother was born. My tips will show you the drive from Holmavik town through alll the fjords in the nortern parts of the West fjords and towards Nupur and Thingeyri.
This beach is in one of the remotest places in Iceland and here my grandmother was born.
This is an information sign found on top of a hill before you reach Súðavík. We call the West fjords the head of Iceland due to the shape of the island.
The growth industry in the Westfjords is fish-farming. There is salmon farming, arctic char farming, rainbow trout farming, cod farming and mussel farming. The cod and mussel farming is mainly up north on the Westfjords. There are ca 40 trucks on the roads driving 1000 tonnes of fish from the fish-farmers every week
This part of Iceland is rugged and it has a sparse population. The "head" of Iceland contains only ca 8% of Iceland´s land mass, but as it has got so many fjords, then 35% of Iceland´s shoreline is in the West fjords.
There is a view-dial at Hellishólar at Reykhólar, where we stayed for the first night during our travels in the... more travel advice
There is a lovely little country church, Hagakirkja church, in Barðaströnd. You will find such churches in many places... more travel advice
Written Nov 18, 2013
More photos from Álftaland in Reykhólar.
Written Nov 18, 2013
Bjarmaland Guesthouse - additional photos.
Written Dec 12, 2013
Látrabjarg - the largest bird-cliff in Iceland.
Written Mar 15, 2014
View-dials in the West Fjords.
Regina1965's Related Pages
Western Fjords Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE WEST-FJORDS OF ICELAND - VESTFIRÐIR."
- "Majestic Mountains"
- "The Western Fjords"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Western Fjords
- Hotels in Western Fjords
- Transportation in Western Fjords
- Warnings and Dangers in Western Fjords
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Western Fjords
- 38 Reviews
- 214 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Western Fjords?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Western Fjords
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Western Fjords tips
- Posted in Travel South Iceland Forum "Re: Blue Lagoon to the town of..."
- Wrote a Review The view-dial at Reykhólar in Western Fjords Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The view-dial at Reykhólar"
- updated a Western Fjords Travel Page "THE WEST-FJORDS OF ICELAND - VESTFIRÐIR."
Photos in Western FjordsSee All Photos (214)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 255 reviews, 1254 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 235 reviews, 1252 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 178 reviews, 674 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 37 reviews, 268 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Iceland Intro, 46 reviews, 237 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Western Fjords Intro, 38 reviews, 214 photos, 4 travelogues