"Gullfoss - the frozen version." Top 5 Page for this destination Gullfoss by Regina1965
Gullfoss Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 159 photos
Gullfoss is the best known waterfall in Iceland and on the Golden-Circle bus tour. It is about a 117 kilometres from Reykjavík, depending on which route you take. It is breathtakingly beautiful, 33 metres high, with two steps, the first one is 11 metres high, and the other one is 22 metres high and they fall into the 2,5 km canyon. Gullfoss actually means the Golden waterfall (gull-gold, foss-waterfall). The recent history of the waterfall is quite interesting and startling at the same time, as it could have been used for a hydroelectric power station, as it was contracted to foreigners by the farmer who owned this land. His daughter, Sigríður í Brattholti, put on a fight to save Gullfoss and threatened to throw herself into the waterfall. This is a long story but Sigríður saved Gullfoss and we are really thankful to her for that, and now it belongs to the Icelandic nation. She has now got her monument in the canyon.
There are 2 parking lots, one right next to the waterfall and another one by the Gullfoss café, where you can see the waterfall from the platform. There are a lot of steps to go the lower parking lot. One can go quite close to the waterfall, there is a path which leads you there, but be careful as not to go there in the winter time as the ice gets slippery and accidents have been known to happen and even fatal ones.
Please note that the roads on the Golden Circle tour are not cleared of snow on Tuesdays and Saturdays.
I visited Gullfoss early in April and it was very windy and freezing cold. I went there again in July and have added tips with summer-pictures on my Iceland page Gullfoss
- Pros:A breathtaking experience!
- Cons:You will most likely get wet if you go too close.
Just a word of warning, the roads to Gullfoss are not cleared of snow by the Road Administration of Iceland on Tuesdays... more travel advice
Immediately when you pass the lower waterfall there is a big sill from where you reach the upper waterfall. That... more travel advice
Regina1965's Related Pages
Gullfoss Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gullfoss National Park"
- "Gullfoss - the frozen version."
- "The Golden Waterfalls: Gulfoss"
- "Waterfalls, horses and a view of the glacier"
- "Spectacular Waterfall !"
- "Golden Falls"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gullfoss
- Transportation in Gullfoss
- Restaurants in Gullfoss
- Warnings and Dangers in Gullfoss
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gullfoss
- 7 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Gullfoss?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gullfoss
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Driving Toyota Yaris in South..."
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Gullfoss tips
- Wrote a Review No clearing of the roads on Tuesdays and Saturdays in Gullfoss Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "No clearing of the roads on Tuesdays and Saturdays"
- updated a Gullfoss Travel Page "Gullfoss - the frozen version."
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 241 reviews, 1177 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 196 reviews, 1043 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 209 reviews, 845 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 43 reviews, 311 photos, 4 travelogues
- North Iceland Intro, 54 reviews, 261 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Intro, 44 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues