"Gullfoss - Iceland´s most famous waterfall" Top 5 Page for this destination Gullfoss by Regina1965

Gullfoss Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 159 photos

Gullfoss.

Gullfoss is the best known waterfall in Iceland and on the Golden-Circle bus tour. It is about a 117 kilometres from Reykjavík, depending on which route you take. It is breathtakingly beautiful, 33 metres high, with two steps, the first one is 11 metres high, and the other one is 22 metres high and they fall into the 2,5 km canyon.

Gullfoss actually means the Golden waterfall (gull-gold, foss-waterfall). The recent history of the waterfall is quite interesting and startling at the same time, as it could have been used for a hydroelectric power station, as it was contracted to foreigners by the farmer who owned this land. His daughter, Sigríður í Brattholti, put on a fight to save Gullfoss and threatened to throw herself into the waterfall. This is a long story but Sigríður saved Gullfoss and we are really thankful to her for that, and now it belongs to the Icelandic nation. She has now got her monument in the canyon.

Gullfoss.

There are 2 parking lots, one right next to the waterfall and another one by the Gullfoss café, where you can see the waterfall from the platform. There are a lot of steps to go the lower parking lot.

One can go quite close to the waterfall, there is a path which leads you there, but be careful as not to go there in the winter time as the ice gets slippery and accidents have been known to happen and even fatal ones.

Gullfoss - in winter.

I visited Gullfoss early in April and it was very windy and freezing cold. I went there again in July and have added tips with summer-pictures on my Iceland page Gullfoss

I visit Gullfoss frequently and we take all our foreign guests there.

• Pros:A breathtaking experience!
  • Cons:You will most likely get wet if you go too close.
  • Last visit to Gullfoss: Oct 2014
  • Intro Updated Feb 24, 2015

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2014 at 10:37 AM

What beautiful landscapes, but the Gullfoss is spectacular! Lovely page Regina!

• Ann75's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Oooh what a beautiful place! Great tips and photos!

• FlavioAntonio's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2012 at 5:14 AM

Beautiful place. I hope to know that place.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2012 at 12:22 PM

This is a must see I think! It looks so beautiful frozen like that - I hope we see it so :-) Thank goodness this wonderful place was not destroyed!!

• micas_pt's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2011 at 2:11 AM

Great photos and reviews! I'd love to visit this place.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Great tips and photo's. You look very cold in one of the photo's, too cold for me. I would have to buy a coat to go there!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2011 at 4:26 AM

Hurrah for Sigríður Tómasdóttir!

• Krumel's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Amazing photo of the frozen falls!

• Dec 20, 2010 at 11:23 PM

its a dream to visit iceland, and see such famous sites like gullfoss!

• dassi's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2010 at 6:11 AM

The soup is just a must have when at Gullfoss I love the top picture :) Again great info :)

Regina1965 Visits Here Frequently!

Regina1965

“Bon Voyage :)”

Badges & Stats in Gullfoss

Have you been to Gullfoss?