"Gullfoss - Iceland´s most famous waterfall" Top 5 Page for this destination Gullfoss by Regina1965
Gullfoss Travel Guide: 74 reviews and 182 photos
Gullfoss is the best known waterfall in Iceland and on the Golden-Circle bus tour. It is about a 117 kilometres from Reykjavík, depending on which route you take. It is breathtakingly beautiful, 33 metres high, with two steps, the first one is 11 metres high, and the other one is 22 metres high and they fall into the 2,5 km canyon.
Gullfoss actually means the Golden waterfall (gull-gold, foss-waterfall). The recent history of the waterfall is quite interesting and startling at the same time, as it could have been used for a hydroelectric power station, as it was contracted to foreigners by the farmer who owned this land. His daughter, Sigríður í Brattholti, put on a fight to save Gullfoss and threatened to throw herself into the waterfall. This is a long story but Sigríður saved Gullfoss and we are really thankful to her for that, and now it belongs to the Icelandic nation. She has now got her monument in the canyon.
There are 2 parking lots, one right next to the waterfall and another one by the Gullfoss café, where you can see the waterfall from the platform. There are a lot of steps to go the lower parking lot.
One can go quite close to the waterfall, there is a path which leads you there, but be careful as not to go there in the winter time as the ice gets slippery and accidents have been known to happen and even fatal ones.
I visited Gullfoss early in April and it was very windy and freezing cold. I went there again in July and have added tips with summer-pictures on my Iceland page Gullfoss
I visit Gullfoss frequently and we take all our foreign guests there.
- Pros:A breathtaking experience!
- Cons:You will most likely get wet if you go too close.
Clearing of the roads now takes place every day as far as I know. Just a word of warning, the roads to Gullfoss are not... more travel advice
Immediately when you pass the lower waterfall there is a big sill from where you reach the upper waterfall. That... more travel advice
Regina1965's Related Pages
Gullfoss Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gullfoss - Iceland´s most famous waterfall"
- "Gullfoss National Park"
- "The Golden Waterfalls: Gulfoss"
- "Waterfalls, horses and a view of the glacier"
- "Spectacular Waterfall !"
- "Golden Falls"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gullfoss
- Transportation in Gullfoss
- Restaurants in Gullfoss
- Shopping in Gullfoss
- Warnings and Dangers in Gullfoss
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gullfoss
- 7 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Gullfoss?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gullfoss
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Cannot edit tips"
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Gullfoss travel pages
- updated a Gullfoss Travel Page "Gullfoss - Iceland´s most famous waterfall"
- Wrote a Review No clearing of the roads on Tuesdays and Saturdays in Gullfoss Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "No clearing of the roads on Tuesdays and Saturdays"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 257 reviews, 1386 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 263 reviews, 1292 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 196 reviews, 752 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 45 reviews, 308 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Iceland Intro, 46 reviews, 237 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Western Fjords Intro, 38 reviews, 214 photos, 4 travelogues