"Morocco - Tetouan." Top 5 Page for this destination Tetouan by Regina1965
Tetouan Travel Guide: 109 reviews and 310 photos
I went on a guided tour from Torremolinos to Morocco. We took a bus to the city Algeciras from where we took a ferry across the Gibraltar strait to the Spanish city Ceuta, which is one of two Spanish cities in Morocco. We crossed the border by bus and went to Tetouan.
At the border we had to get out and walk through a booth where our temperature was measured - this being the time when the swine-flu epidemy was starting. Some people had temperature and were examined by a doctor and everybody was allowed to cross the borders. And what a border this was, there were endless lines of people carrying big bags (up to 50 kilos) full of clothes and stuff from the Spanish market by the border, which were then sold in Morocco. These people get paid to buy these clothes and carry them over the border and the crowd can get so intense that people have been killed at the border. Due to this photos are forbidden at the border and you will be denied access to Morocco if you take a photo. It was unbelievable watching this, people were running and carrying these big bags, leaving them at some point and running again to the line of people.
After crossing the border we drove along the coast of the Mediterranean sea and had a look at how the rich people live - quite a contrast to how the poor people live. We then stopped for a camel-ride and drove into Tetouan and stopped at Medina which is the oldest part of the city. We stopped by the market and spent the day in there, went to a herb pharmacy, a Moroccoan restaurant and an rug-store (see my tips).
Tetouan is called "The White". Afther the Jewish and the Muslims moved away from Spain after the collapse of Granada in 1492 they rebuilt this town so it is reminiscent of many Andalusian towns.
The main square in Medina is The square of King Hassan II where there is a royal palace.
After a whole day at the market in Medina we then took to bus back the same way we came and took the ferry back to Spain. I would go on this tour again, it was amazing as this was my first trip to Africa.
I was amazed at seeing all the cats at the market - and these were not skinny cats like in Spain, but well-fed cats as... more travel advice
The first stop in Morocco was for a camel ride. For 1 euro you could ride a camel for a couple of minutes. There were 2... more travel advice
Regina1965's Related Pages
Tetouan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nice City with NO hassel what so ever"
- "The first and... the worst city in Morocco"
- "Morocco - Tetouan."
- "Tetouan in the Rif"
- "Tetouan, Morocco!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tetouan
- Hotels in Tetouan
- Transportation in Tetouan
- Nightlife in Tetouan
- Restaurants in Tetouan
- Shopping in Tetouan
- Warnings and Dangers in Tetouan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tetouan
- 8 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Tetouan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tetouan
Photos in TetouanSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 261 reviews, 1281 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 238 reviews, 1267 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 154 reviews, 846 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 185 reviews, 703 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 110 reviews, 555 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 67 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 38 reviews, 273 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Iceland Intro, 46 reviews, 237 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 41 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Western Fjords Intro, 38 reviews, 214 photos, 4 travelogues