"Morocco - Tetouan." Top 5 Page for this destination Tetouan by Regina1965

Tetouan Travel Guide: 109 reviews and 310 photos

Morocco - Tetouan.

I went on a guided tour from Torremolinos to Morocco. We took a bus to the city Algeciras from where we took a ferry across the Gibraltar strait to the Spanish city Ceuta, which is one of two Spanish cities in Morocco. We crossed the border by bus and went to Tetouan.

At the border we had to get out and walk through a booth where our temperature was measured - this being the time when the swine-flu epidemy was starting. Some people had temperature and were examined by a doctor and everybody was allowed to cross the borders. And what a border this was, there were endless lines of people carrying big bags (up to 50 kilos) full of clothes and stuff from the Spanish market by the border, which were then sold in Morocco. These people get paid to buy these clothes and carry them over the border and the crowd can get so intense that people have been killed at the border. Due to this photos are forbidden at the border and you will be denied access to Morocco if you take a photo. It was unbelievable watching this, people were running and carrying these big bags, leaving them at some point and running again to the line of people.

Morocco - Tetouan.

After crossing the border we drove along the coast of the Mediterranean sea and had a look at how the rich people live - quite a contrast to how the poor people live. We then stopped for a camel-ride and drove into Tetouan and stopped at Medina which is the oldest part of the city. We stopped by the market and spent the day in there, went to a herb pharmacy, a Moroccoan restaurant and an rug-store (see my tips).

Tetouan is called "The White". Afther the Jewish and the Muslims moved away from Spain after the collapse of Granada in 1492 they rebuilt this town so it is reminiscent of many Andalusian towns.

The main square in Medina is The square of King Hassan II where there is a royal palace.

Morocco - Tetouan.

After a whole day at the market in Medina we then took to bus back the same way we came and took the ferry back to Spain. I would go on this tour again, it was amazing as this was my first trip to Africa.

• Last visit to Tetouan: Jun 2009
  • Intro Updated Dec 28, 2009

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2013 at 3:36 PM

What a lovely set of tips. Quite a different culture for you. Loved the opening picture of the water man!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
      Feb 16, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Thanks, Val, yes indeed a very different culture from mine. That is the beauty of traveling, getting to know more about other cultures.

• Jan 21, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Couldn't agree more. We loved it.

My sister and I visited Tetouan in May 2012. We are mature women (54 and 56 y.o.) and were traveling with my sister's teenage daughter. I'm writing to recommend our outstanding guide, Mr. Mhamed El Khattabi, an official certified guide who speaks excellent English. We told him we were interested in culture, history and people -- no shopping -- and he respected that perfectly. As we passed through the busy market areas, he was very protective of my niece in a kindly fatherly way. He also recommended the excellent Riad Daria, which was delightfully charming and a good value for money. We were extremely happy with the services of Mhamed and want to recommend him most warmly as a kind, knowledgeable, and very honest individual.

Here is Mhamed's cell No.: 0672549398.

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2012 at 1:13 AM

I love the water man...David does not like cats about because of the wild life but I always had a cat before...but I know now best to keep them in at night.

• Feb 22, 2012 at 7:59 AM

I went to Tetouan once, it was pretty neat. What I like most was all the jewellers and shops. So pretty too. I also got to use a surprising amount of German. Kind of like Nemorino said, I actually met a few people like that. Super fluent in lots of languages. Cool place. http://www.ringsetc.ca

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Amazing site, I always want to visit here, but until today I could not make it! Laszlo

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2011 at 9:53 AM

The one thing I remember from my visit to Tetouan (two years before you were born) is that a young man asked me if I spoke German. I said no, but he explained politely, in fluent German, that he didn’t want to sell me anything, he wanted to invite me for a cup of tea and have me read a letter to him that he had received from Germany. So we did that. It turned out that he could speak and understand several languages but was not literate in any of them.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
      Feb 16, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Yes, a good idea. Our trick is to answer in Icelandic. It is a good thing that you were able to help this man with his letter, he was in luck that you know so many languages :)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
      Feb 16, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Actually the Spanish currency at that time was called the peseta, not the peso.

• Wafro's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Never been to Tetouan, but on my wishlist for sure.

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2011 at 2:23 AM

I also liked this city!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2010 at 2:24 AM

Hi enjoyed your page REgina - for sure come back again...without the big tour group and enjoy the difference!sort the good carpet shops from the hustler ones...&the herbalists if youre on yr own are big liars too...

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2010 at 1:42 PM

I think we had the same rug salesman when we went . LOL. Great pictures!

Regina1965

“Bon Voyage :)”

Badges & Stats in Tetouan

Have you been to Tetouan?

Latest Activity in Tetouan