"A poor city with a lot of heart and much to offer" Massawa by alayola
Massawa Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 37 photos
As you walk through the streets of massawa you can still see war damage on many buildings, damage left behind from their strugle to independence. And yet there was a sence of peacefulness as we walked arround the city. People here seemed friendly and eager to help, not really expecting or wanting anything in return. This was a much better experience that when I visited Djibouty, I hate to compare places like that, but I must say that this was a whole lot better place to visit. There is so much potential here, a lot of untap touristic resources that can make this a much better experience.
Let me just say I had a great time here. even with the lack of resources.
The Eritrean War of Independence is commemorated in a memorial of three tanks in the middle of Massawa.
The two tanks on the picture, well more like to my left and right just out of frame, were actually turned into fountains, and while we were there the park caretaker camo out and turned them on for us to enjoy, something that he did not have to do and yet did it for us anyway.
I will love to see this place once they have made a full recovery, there is a great tourism future for this city and will be interesting to see what they can do.
- Pros:Good hospitality, lot to do and explore
- Cons:Short suply of some basic needs like ice
- In a nutshell:Great place with great potential
alayola's Related Pages
Massawa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Massawa: Eritrea's Historic Red Sea Port"
- "Stunning Massawa"
- "Massawa Charming Red Sea Port"
- "A poor city with a lot of heart and much to offer"
- ""I hope to meet you again...""
- "Massawa, Red Sea Port"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Massawa
- Hotels in Massawa
- Transportation in Massawa
- Restaurants in Massawa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Massawa
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Massawa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Massawa
Top 10 Pages
- Aqaba Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- United Arab Emirates Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos
- Singapore Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Gaeta Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos
- Italy 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Ciudad del Carmen Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dutch Harbor Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Eritrea 1 review, 3 photos