"A poor city with a lot of heart and much to offer" Massawa by alayola

Massawa Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 37 photos

This is a young country mooving forward...

As you walk through the streets of massawa you can still see war damage on many buildings, damage left behind from their strugle to independence. And yet there was a sence of peacefulness as we walked arround the city. People here seemed friendly and eager to help, not really expecting or wanting anything in return. This was a much better experience that when I visited Djibouty, I hate to compare places like that, but I must say that this was a whole lot better place to visit. There is so much potential here, a lot of untap touristic resources that can make this a much better experience.
Let me just say I had a great time here. even with the lack of resources.

Independence War memorial park

The Eritrean War of Independence is commemorated in a memorial of three tanks in the middle of Massawa.
The two tanks on the picture, well more like to my left and right just out of frame, were actually turned into fountains, and while we were there the park caretaker camo out and turned them on for us to enjoy, something that he did not have to do and yet did it for us anyway.

Road to recovery

I will love to see this place once they have made a full recovery, there is a great tourism future for this city and will be interesting to see what they can do.

• Pros:Good hospitality, lot to do and explore
  • Cons:Short suply of some basic needs like ice
  • In a nutshell:Great place with great potential
  • Last visit to Massawa: Mar 2005
  • Intro Written Nov 9, 2007

Comments

alayola

“Live to travel, travel to live...”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Massawa

Have you been to Massawa?

Latest Activity in Massawa