"Safari in PH" Calauit Island by simplytaj
Calauit Island Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 53 photos
Calauit started in 1977 situated in the Northwestern coast of Palawan was declared a game preserve and wildlife sanctuary of the Philippines. My first time was in 1994 travelling from Dimakya island to Calauit and the 2nd time was in 2005 from Busuanga.
The area of 3,700 hectares Calauit Island Wildlife Sanctuary is home to both endemic animals and African wildlife. Only eight species of African animals from Kenya, which includes giraffes, zebras, impalas, waterbucks, bushbacks, gazelles, elands and topis live in harmony with endemic Philippine animals like the Calamian- and mouse- deer, bearcat, Palawan peacock pheasant, sea turtles and Philippine crocodile. Their numbers have increased over the years and from a hundred to well over six-hundred as they thrive in their new Pacific home.
It is indeed amazing to see them all over the island and there is a truck/jeep that can take you around at a minimal fee. An amazing site, 'an Africa in the Philippines!'
- Pros:a unique island for families to visit
- Cons:there are no accommodations available on the island
simplytaj's Related Pages
Calauit Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Safari in PH"
- "Arriving in Africa"
- "More Support Needed for the Calauit Island Park"
- See All...
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Calauit Island
- 0 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Calauit Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Calauit Island
Top 10 Pages
- Iloilo City Intro, 3 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- City of Manila Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 1 review, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 1 review, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bohol Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boracay Island Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Prague Intro, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris 1 review, 5 photos