"Thessaloniki - The bride of Thermaikos Gulf" loislois's Profile

The Name

Thesslaoniki (nickname Salonica or Saloniki)

According rich Greek Mythology Thessaloniki was the sister of Alexander the Great.

So Alexander the Great - King of Makedonia funded this city a little more than 2300 years before and gave it the name of her sister.

Today is the second largest city in Greece, after the capitol Athens having POPULATION about 1,5 million people.

It is the major city of MACEDONIA. Macedonia is the North part of Greece.

Please do not missunderstand it to the country in our northern borders which named F.Y.R.O.Macedonia.

• Intro Updated Oct 31, 2007

• Bennytheball's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Thanks for your kind remarks on my travel page, it's a long time since I was in "Thessalonika," ( as we pronounce it in English) ......1972 to be exact. My most poignant memory was when relaxing on the beach, an American hippy arrived and announced to the beach commune that the local blood bank was desperate for group O negative blood (which can be transfused into any person with a different blood group) but is especially is in constant demand to transfuse babies born with Jaundice, I expected there would be a scramble of volunteers, but I was the only one with this blood group, so I shuffled up to the blood bank and delivered my 400ml of blood, for which I was well paid, I still remember 350 Drachma, quite a lot of money at the time. I was about to leave the blood bank when a doctor intercepted me and asked me to accompany him back to the recovery room where a young wealthy Greek woman wanted to thank me personally for helping to save her baby, calling me "a brave boy"........

After, I asked the doctor if there were any blood banks in Istanbul (my next destination) where I might be able to make some more beer money, his reply was quite severe, warning me not to even think about donating blood in Turkey, especially Istanbul, where I would most likely be found floating down the Bosphorus with all my blood drained out!!!

I took the Greek doctor's advice and survived to relate the story!

Benny.

• loislois's Profile Photo
      Jul 29, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Hi Benny! Thanks again for your information and also for your comments. Thessaloniki is always an open city. Beautifull and friendly to the guests. Love to live here! As well as your story about blood giving I found a funny factor. 350 drahma today is less than 1 Euro... About 90 cents. Maybe at 1972 it was good moneys (and really was) but today is a small pack of candies. :) Hope to visit us on future again. Maybe we will arrive there next year. bye for now and thanks again

• icunme's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Welcome to VT and bella Roma!

• traveloturc's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2008 at 4:11 AM

dear Friend thanks a lot for your comments on my Thessaloniki pages.we hope to see yu very soon in my country and city as well..

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2008 at 5:17 AM

Hi and welcome to VT. Enjoy your travels! - Mark

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2008 at 9:26 AM

Welcome to VT. Travel and have fun. PJ

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!