My Favorite Pages

Gstaad

Travel Map

Bennytheball's Profile Photo
Bennytheball Jul 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Thanks for your kind remarks on my travel page, it's a long time since I was in "Thessalonika," ( as we pronounce it in English) ......1972 to be exact. My most poignant memory was when relaxing on the beach, an American hippy arrived and announced to the beach commune that the local blood bank was desperate for group O negative blood (which can be transfused into any person with a different blood group) but is especially is in constant demand to transfuse babies born with Jaundice, I expected there would be a scramble of volunteers, but I was the only one with this blood group, so I shuffled up to the blood bank and delivered my 400ml of blood, for which I was well paid, I still remember 350 Drachma, quite a lot of money at the time. I was about to leave the blood bank when a doctor intercepted me and asked me to accompany him back to the recovery room where a young wealthy Greek woman wanted to thank me personally for helping to save her baby, calling me "a brave boy"........

After, I asked the doctor if there were any blood banks in Istanbul (my next destination) where I might be able to make some more beer money, his reply was quite severe, warning me not to even think about donating blood in Turkey, especially Istanbul, where I would most likely be found floating down the Bosphorus with all my blood drained out!!!

I took the Greek doctor's advice and survived to relate the story!

Benny.

• loislois's Profile Photo
    loislois Jul 29, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Hi Benny! Thanks again for your information and also for your comments. Thessaloniki is always an open city. Beautifull and friendly to the guests. Love to live here! As well as your story about blood giving I found a funny factor. 350 drahma today is less than 1 Euro... About 90 cents. Maybe at 1972 it was good moneys (and really was) but today is a small pack of candies. :) Hope to visit us on future again. Maybe we will arrive there next year. bye for now and thanks again

icunme's Profile Photo
icunme May 3, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Welcome to VT and bella Roma!

traveloturc's Profile Photo
traveloturc Sep 19, 2008 at 4:11 AM

dear Friend thanks a lot for your comments on my Thessaloniki pages.we hope to see yu very soon in my country and city as well..

travelfrosch's Profile Photo