"Victorious city" Vittoriosa by mickeyboy07
Vittoriosa Travel Guide: 110 reviews and 250 photos
Vittoriosa is sometimes referred to as 'Birgu' and is an ancient city to the east of Valletta across the Grand Harbour.It played a vital role in the Siege of Malta in 1565 and has a population of about 2700.
The city occupies a promontory of land with 'Fort St.Angelo' with its origins reaching back to medieval times.Phoenicians,Grekks,romans,Byzantines,Arabs,Normans and the Knights of St.John have all contributed to the development of the city.Vittoriosa was the site of a major battle between the Knights and the 'Ottoman Empire' in 1565,after four months of defence the city was finally captured by the Ottomans only to be re-captured by 'Grand Master Jean Parisot de la Valette'.
Vittorisa means 'Victorious City' in Italian.After the taking of Malta by 'Napoleon' in 1798,and his eviction by the Maltese,the British were invited to Malta and made this area into their Mediterranean Naval Base and remained until 1979.
today the area is popular with visitors due to its close location to Valletta.Various religious festivals are held here including the 'Feast of St.Dominic' held every last sunday in August.
- Cons:none come to mind
- In a nutshell:Lots of History and good market
Notre Dame gate was built in 1675 by 'Grandmaster Fra Nicola Cotoner' as the principal gate into 'Cottonera' some 9km of... more travel advice
mickeyboy07's Related Pages
Vittoriosa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vittoriosa - The Victorious"
- "Citta Vittoriosa - The Unbeaten City"
- "Into the past........."
- "Vittoriosa (Birgu) and Cospicua (Bormla)"
- "Fireworks Festival held at the end of April 2005"
- "Vittoriosa - Birgu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vittoriosa
- Hotels in Vittoriosa
- Transportation in Vittoriosa
- Nightlife in Vittoriosa
- Restaurants in Vittoriosa
- Shopping in Vittoriosa
- Warnings and Dangers in Vittoriosa
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Vittoriosa
- 2 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Vittoriosa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vittoriosa
Photos in VittoriosaSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 45 reviews, 186 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 40 reviews, 151 photos, 1 travelogue
- Antwerp Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manchester Intro, 26 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 24 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 23 reviews, 97 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 21 reviews, 97 photos, 1 travelogue
- Oxford Intro, 21 reviews, 89 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leeds Intro, 17 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bugibba Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos