"Lively Leeds" Top 5 Page for this destination Leeds by mickeyboy07
Leeds Travel Guide: 607 reviews and 1,786 photos
Leeds is the cultural,financial and commercial heart of the County of West Yorkshire in Northern England.The City has a population of 800,000 and is growing fast making it the fifth largest city in the United Kingdom and the 30th most populous in the European Union.
Historically part of the West Riding of Yorkshire,Leeds can trace its recorded history back to the 5th century when the Kingdom of 'Elmet' was covered by the forest of 'Loidis',the origin of the name 'Leeds'.
In the 17th and 18th centuries Leeds became a major centre for the production and trading of wool.Then,during the Industrial Revolution,Leeds developed into a major industrial centre,wool was still the dominant industry but flax,engineering,iron foundries and printing were also important.
The Central area of Leeds is located on the River Aire in a narrow section of the Aire valley,which is in the eastern foothills of the Pennines.The city lies about 206FT above sea level while the district ranges from 1,115FT in the far west on the slopes of Ilkey Moor to about 33FT where the rivers Aire and Wharfe cross the eastern boundry.
The city centre is contained within the Leeds Inner Ring Road formed from parts of the A58 road,A61 road,A64 road,and the M621 motorway.Over 65 per cent of the Leeds District is Green Belt Land and the city centre is less than twenty miles from the Yorkshire Dales National Park,which offers some of the most spectacular scenery and countryside in the U.K.
- Pros:Great Architecture,lots of History,Friendly locals
- Cons:Unpredictable weather,Expensive bars
- In a nutshell:Pride of Yorkshire
A large Church of England Parish Church on the outskirts of the city centre in Leeds.it has been a designated Grade I... more travel advice
Formally the 'Cathedral Church of Saint Anne',Leeds Cathedral is the Roman Catholic Cathedral of the Diocese of... more travel advice
mickeyboy07's Related Pages
Leeds Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "LEEDS, LIVE IT, LOVE IT"
- "My Home!!!"
- "Lively Leeds"
- "Leeds – A victorian city wakes up"
- "Leeds, West Yorkshire"
- "Leeds: The Largest City in the North"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Leeds
- Hotels in Leeds
- Transportation in Leeds
- Nightlife in Leeds
- Restaurants in Leeds
- Shopping in Leeds
- Warnings and Dangers in Leeds
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Leeds
- 17 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Leeds?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Leeds
- Posted in Travel Corfu Island Forum "Re: early morning arrival"
- Commented on one of mickeyboy07's Leeds travel pages
- Wrote a Review Parish Church of Saint Peter in Leeds Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Parish Church of Saint Peter"
- updated a Leeds Travel Page "Lively Leeds"
- Uploaded a Video to Leeds
Photos in LeedsSee All Photos (83)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 45 reviews, 186 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 40 reviews, 151 photos, 1 travelogue
- Antwerp Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manchester Intro, 27 reviews, 141 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 24 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 23 reviews, 97 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 21 reviews, 97 photos, 1 travelogue
- Oxford Intro, 21 reviews, 89 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leeds Intro, 17 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bugibba Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos