"Stockport" Stockport by mickeyboy07
Stockport Travel Guide: 117 reviews and 390 photos
Stockport is a large town in Greater Manchester,it lies on elevated ground six miles south-east of Manchester City Centre,at the point where the rivers 'Goyt' and 'Tame' join and create the River Mersey.it has a population of around 280,000.Known for its cultivation of hemp and rope and later its silk manufacturing and later like most Cheshire and Lancashire towns its cotton industry.Stockport was also at the centre of the countries hatting industry which by 1884 was exporting more than six million hats a year,the last hat works closed in 1997.The towns hatting heritage is preserved at the museum of hatting.
Notable sights and attractions in Stockport include the 'Viaduct' built in 1840,St.Mary's church,Air raid shelters and Market Hall.there is an historic walk through much of the town centre with lots of historic points of interest and information.
- Pros:Interesting,historic and friendly
- Cons:The weather as usual in this part of the World
- In a nutshell:Lots of history and great pubs
In 1838,William Robinson purchased the Unicorn Inn on Lower Hillgate and his son Frederic joined him in 1865 when he... more travel advice
This street was famously painted by L.S.Lowry in 1930 and the painting can be seen at the Stockport Art Gallery.The... more travel advice
mickeyboy07's Related Pages
Stockport Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stockport... the Strong Silent Type"
- "A week-end in Stockport"
- "A Tudor Gem"
- "Stockport - a cool place to live"
- "I love Stockport!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stockport
- Hotels in Stockport
- Transportation in Stockport
- Nightlife in Stockport
- Restaurants in Stockport
- Shopping in Stockport
- See All...
Explore the World
- Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Hotels
- Edgecliff Village Hotels
- Falmouth Hotels
- Balearic Islands
- Olhos de Água
- Perumalmalai Hotels
- Saranac Lake
- Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area Hotels
- Canaries Hotels
Badges & Stats in Stockport
- 9 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Stockport?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stockport
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 45 reviews, 186 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 40 reviews, 151 photos, 1 travelogue
- Antwerp Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manchester Intro, 26 reviews, 128 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 24 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 23 reviews, 97 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 21 reviews, 97 photos, 1 travelogue
- Oxford Intro, 21 reviews, 89 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leeds Intro, 17 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bugibba Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (56)
Latest Stockport hotel reviews
- Bredbury Hall Hotel
- 261 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Britannia Hotel Stockport
- 485 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Travelodge Macclesfield
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Alma Lodge Hotel Stockport
- 126 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Deanwater Hotel
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013